Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using clay bars  (Read 2707 times)

Farm boy

Using clay bars
« on: April 21, 2019, 01:19:39 PM »

I've got a flhrsei2, and it's apart. I am wondering what is the proper way to use a clay bar ? Is there anything I need to do prior to the clay bar ? Aside from washing the bike.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Using clay bars
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 01:27:12 PM »

I always wash/rinse the bike thoroughly.  Make sure ALL dirt is removed.  The clay bar works by picking up contaminants in/on the paint.  If the surface is dirty to begin with, the clay bar will pick up dirt particles and scratch the paint. Go slow, use a detailer wax to lubricate generously, and choose small areas to concentrate on until smooth - then move on to the next.

Suggest watching an online video or 3 to get the idea.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 04:40:23 PM »

Need to add this: If you drop the clay bar & it hits the ground, throw it away, do not try to re-use it.  It will pick up too much dirt & will scratch paint, best to start again with a new piece of clay.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 05:15:17 PM »

What he said + you will know you are using enough lube (Claybar slides easily) or to little (Claybar drags & pulls). As the bar picks up contaminates fold and roll the clay to obtain a clean side. X2 on dropping them. When done store them in a zip-lok bag and give a light spray inside the bag before sealing it to prevent bar sticking to bag.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 06:48:59 AM »

Claying is a ton of work when you're doing a whole car so a bike would be a dream. You really can see/feel the difference after using it. I also found that when you run out of their lube that soapy water in a spray bottle works fine too, just keep the area wet and work small sections like they say.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 01:25:31 PM »

I agree with all here. Used the clay bar on my ladies new car and my older truck this fall before waxing. Loved the outcome!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 03:50:03 PM »

You can save alot of the effort to clay, especially on a car by first using Iron-X. Too easy as well, spray on, wait three to five minutes and rinse it off. Almost all the metallic crap in the paint washes away. Clay bar after that is a breeze because it has very little left to pick-up. Also not many detailers use actual Clay Bar anymore. Most use a clay mit, easier because first it is larger which is good for cars, and second you can wash it out and reuse it. They also make foam backed clay bars that also are washable.
I have started to use Iron-X on my wheels, rotors, lowers etc on the bike, stuff turns purple when it activates. Amazing how much crap a bike picks up between weekly washing.
Another tip for the clay bar, CarPro makes some stuff called Immolube, it has no silicone or wax (my bike & cars have Ceramic coating so you do not want wax on them). It comes in mutliple size bottles but mixes 1:10 for clay lube applicapation. Works good, Very Slick.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 08:13:13 PM »

You can save alot of the effort to clay, especially on a car by first using Iron-X. Too easy as well, spray on, wait three to five minutes and rinse it off. Almost all the metallic crap in the paint washes away. Clay bar after that is a breeze because it has very little left to pick-up. Also not many detailers use actual Clay Bar anymore. Most use a clay mit, easier because first it is larger which is good for cars, and second you can wash it out and reuse it. They also make foam backed clay bars that also are washable.
I have started to use Iron-X on my wheels, rotors, lowers etc on the bike, stuff turns purple when it activates. Amazing how much crap a bike picks up between weekly washing.
Another tip for the clay bar, CarPro makes some stuff called Immolube, it has no silicone or wax (my bike & cars have Ceramic coating so you do not want wax on them). It comes in mutliple size bottles but mixes 1:10 for clay lube applicapation. Works good, Very Slick.
Don, why wouldn't you want to use wax on ceramic coating? Its like putting wax on a clay piece that has been fired in an oven. I use Pinnacle Black Series Reserve Wax on my ceramic coated bikes and looks insane. Link to that wax below. Crazy expensive but on a bike will last for years and when you see it after its done you forget how much it cost..
https://www.autogeek.net/pbl-reserve-wax.html?productid=pbl-reserve-wax&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&utm_campaign=1504990722&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=287205172222&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8JOu55aE5gIVlBx9Ch1ahgvKEAQYASABEgJZO_D_BwE
Alan

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 10:13:22 AM »

When you apply wax on top of the ceramic then you have the qualities of the wax not the ceramic. Wax is no longer necessary or the superior product. It washes away, it does not provide the self cleaning that ceramic does and that is part of the reason you applied the ceramic to begain with. Also the only thing you have to do to the ceramic is wipe it down every 3 - 6 months with the suggested spray "reload" product. I was very skeptical about ceramic but my bike and GMC both were ceramic coated in Aug 18, The only thing done since was at the 6 & 12 month windows I wiped them down with SI02 and both look like they were coated yesterday. I just cannot see why you would apply any wax on top of this great product.
Pinnacle, that you mention, is a House product of Autogeek, I buy lots of stuff from Autogeek and think Mike is very knowledgeable but they also sell Blackfire, which I used in the past. Most folks that live over on that coast say both products are the same, just different names. Autogeek does not have a lab etc. Not to say products are bad, they just are outdated. Also cost of quality waxes are no longer necessary. I bought and coated a new car earlier this year, I used CarPro CQUK 3.0. It is amazing, car is black metallic and looks WET all the time, doesn't attrack dust and when driven in the rain it hardly gets dirty, just to slick for dirt to stick. I just can not imagine giving up all the qualities of this great product for wax again and if you wax ceramic you might as well just wax to began with. And the best thing is CarPro with everything you need to install is $63 from Amazon, wipe it on with the applicator supplied then immediately buff off with a 360GSM microfiber and all I have to do is wipe down with spray suggested by CarPro every 3 - 6 months? No more wax for me.
If you research Ceramic coatings, none of the companies I know of suggest wax topper, most suggest you do not.
Also you can use Iron-X on your Ceramic coating to remove brake dust & road crap without hurting the ceramic and it will completely strip the wax.

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.