Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: TC 103 Air Filter on FLHTCUSE  (Read 4758 times)

Bagger

TC 103 Air Filter on FLHTCUSE
« on: March 09, 2007, 06:49:57 PM »

Hopefully I've posted in the CORRECT forum, however I'm confident that if I've erred, the authorities will move this post to the correct forum.  Onward...........

Totally beautiful and awesome day here in North Alabama.  I finished work around 1pm, and decided to take the long way home.  3 hours later I pulled into my driveway, hooked Thumper up to her battery charger, grabbed a beer, and did my usual post ride looksee.  The air cleaner seemed AWFUL loose.  I took the cover off, and the filter was........well............"squishy."  Don't have any other word for it besides "mushy."  It wasn't right.  Part of the problem may be that it is the POS filter which came with the SE A/C kit.  Also noticed cracks around the screws which hold it onto the posts, and the metal appeared bowed.  I tried to take the filter off, and the posts came off with it.  Backplate, posts and the inside of the filter were covered with black oil, which tells me there has been some vibrating going on for awhile.  I removed the posts from the filter, and the metal around the holes in the filter fell apart.  See the following two pictures.

Bagger

Re: TC 103 Air Filter on FLHTCUSE
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 06:50:55 PM »

Here's a close-up.

Bagger

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 06:57:39 PM »

So.........I cleaned everything up, and reinstalled the posts.  There is no guidance in the FLHTCUSE Service Manual supplement or Touring Model Service Manual pertaining to the SE A/C, so I applied blue Loctite to the posts, and torqued them to 120 in/lbs each...........probably a bit conservative.  If anyone knows the correct torque, and if I used the correct color of Loctite, please enlighten me.  Also would like to know the P/N of the K&N Air Filter for my application.  I need the Old School air filter...................the one I have to oil after each cleaning prior to installation.  Here's a few pictures of my intake after I cleaned everything up and reinstalled the posts................so whoever has the correct part number can see my application.

Maybe NOW would be a good time for the Doherty PowerPaCC!   :huepfenjump3:

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 06:57:43 PM »

Maybe a little blue locktite on the next go-round might be the trick?  good thing for post inspection!! :2vrolijk_21:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Bagger

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 06:59:48 PM »

Bagger

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 07:00:40 PM »

Bagger

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 07:01:25 PM »

'

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 07:04:29 PM »

So.........I cleaned everything up, and reinstalled the posts.  There is no guidance in the FLHTCUSE Service Manual supplement or Touring Model Service Manual pertaining to the SE A/C, so I applied blue Loctite to the posts, and torqued them to 120 in/lbs each...........probably a bit conservative.  If anyone knows the correct torque, and if I used the correct color of Loctite, please enlighten me.  Also would like to know the P/N of the K&N Air Filter for my application.  I need the Old School air filter...................the one I have to oil after each cleaning prior to installation.  Here's a few pictures of my intake after I cleaned everything up and reinstalled the posts................so whoever has the correct part number can see my application.

Henry, K&N P/N HD-0800. It will work with a SE or PP backplate. But the filter that comes with the PP is higher volume than the K&N. Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 07:06:52 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Bagger

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 07:07:23 PM »

If anyone has any theories of how this might have happened, please let me know.  I have not removed the air filter since I bought the bike.........since the 5K service was done at a dealer.  I follow the old schedule, and do my own 2.5K services, but do not remove the air filter.  Haven't ever had a blowby problem, which required me to remove the air filter and clean it at every service like I had to do on the old Ultra.  I think that might change with a new K&N Air Filter.  The old POS from HD appears to be made of paper, and it looks like it soaked up all the breather oil.  I dunno.  This has scary implications.  I'd have freaked if that thing had fallen off while cruising down the road.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 07:19:30 PM »

Henry,
There is another thread concerning these filters here - Stage 1 air filter disintegrating.
Since some of the text may have been lost in software upgrade here is the link to the old site - Stage 1 air filter disintegrating.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Bagger

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 07:34:15 PM »

Henry,
There is another thread concerning these filters here - Stage 1 air filter disintegrating.
Since some of the text may have been lost in software upgrade here is the link to the old site - Stage 1 air filter disintegrating.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Many thanks, Gary.................so, this is a known issue with these POS air filters?  News to me, but good to know nonetheless.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 08:18:01 PM »

Bagger, if the numbers from doherty on their powerpacc are correct ( and if apply to backplate on your bike)then your locktite and torque setting for the posts are correct (http://www.dohertymachine.com/americanIron2003.php) john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 10:14:44 PM »

I had the same thing happen on my 04 seeg but it was K&N.  >:( Found out there was no locktite installed :-\ I just ordered a Doherty Power Pacc afterseeing Hoist pictures last week.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 01:03:26 AM »

Henry...the SE air filter kit has a POS filter, known for problems, and is a throwaway.  The mounting studs leave something to be desired as well...mine BROKE OFF and the whole thing was hanging by one bolt.  I replaced the whole damn thing with the Doherty PP with Powervents...different mounting process, superior studs, better filter, better backplate.  The stock SE studs are made of pot metal...you CAN overtighten them, which contributes to them breaking off flush with the throttlebody.  Then it's an ezzout, or if you're lucky, they will have a piece to back out with a pair of vice grips...ask me how I know all this...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Bagger

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 08:02:35 AM »

Henry...the SE air filter kit has a POS filter, known for problems, and is a throwaway.  The mounting studs leave something to be desired as well...mine BROKE OFF and the whole thing was hanging by one bolt.  I replaced the whole damn thing with the Doherty PP with Powervents...different mounting process, superior studs, better filter, better backplate.  The stock SE studs are made of pot metal...you CAN overtighten them, which contributes to them breaking off flush with the throttlebody.  Then it's an ezzout, or if you're lucky, they will have a piece to back out with a pair of vice grips... ask me how I know all this... 

Hi Terry,
I read your DPP install.  Now you know why I went to 120 in/lbs.  I see low-end quality every day, so it doesn't really surprise me.  I suppose I need to just belly up, order a DPP and be done with this crap.
I'll get to it...........too much other stuff transpiring right now.

HML

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 11:00:29 AM »

Hi Terry,
I read your DPP install.  Now you know why I went to 120 in/lbs.  I see low-end quality every day, so it doesn't really surprise me.  I suppose I need to just belly up, order a DPP and be done with this crap.
I'll get to it...........too much other stuff transpiring right now.

HML

Henry, don't delay. The quality of the DPP backplate (their whole assembly) is night and day to the HD crap! You'll be very happy with this unit, with or without the PV's. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 12:06:35 PM »

If anyone has any theories of how this might have happened, please let me know.  I have not removed the air filter since I bought the bike.........since the 5K service was done at a dealer.  I follow the old schedule, and do my own 2.5K services, but do not remove the air filter.  Haven't ever had a blowby problem, which required me to remove the air filter and clean it at every service like I had to do on the old Ultra.  I think that might change with a new K&N Air Filter.  The old POS from HD appears to be made of paper, and it looks like it soaked up all the breather oil.  I dunno.  This has scary implications.  I'd have freaked if that thing had fallen off while cruising down the road.

Bagger:  Had the same thing happen on the first Ness Big Sucker I installed.  Probably had more threadlocker on the filter screws than on the back plate studs they mount into.  Applying some heat with a hair dryer/heat gun would have helped with removing the filter screws.

I now use blue medium strength thread locker on the back plate studs and purple low strength on the three filter screws.  With correct torque, never had this problem again nor did any of the fasteners work loose.

:xyxthumbs:
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

Bagger

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 11:01:14 PM »

I ended up ordering a K&N HD-0800 from EPC via eBay.  $49.50.  Today was the first day I had the time to ride since the old one fell apart.  I was having so much fun riding that I didn't pay much attention to the air cleaner.  The bike runs great, and to me, that is all that really matters.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.