Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Purrfect Sounding,Quietest,Best Performing Exhaust  (Read 5510 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Purrfect Sounding,Quietest,Best Performing Exh
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 11:44:36 AM »

I have run with the V&H ovals on the V&H True Duals and found them just a little too loud

Now I have the S&S SPO's (on the V&H TD's) and they are just right on noise IMHO - meaty but not too obtrusive

The low end torque seemed to take a bit of a hit but I'm getting organised to fit the 575 cams so that should restore the low end Tq

The S&S SPO's are kinda bulky - but hidden under the bags they don't look too bad from the side

Mine have the ends painted matt black which helps the view from behind

I think there's an even quieter baffle available - the ones I have fitted are straight thru but I guess the size of the muffler body helps keep the dBs down

Actually the straight thru is great because you can see puffs of dust (or leaves! - or snow!!) being stirred up behind the bike even on idle and feel the exhaust pulses against your legs when you stand back there

And of course these things are stainless and should last forever - just right for a keeper of a bike

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for your assessment on the S&S SPO's Dave. I'm leaning this way myself and the info you provided only serves to justify my choice. I'm not too crazy about the appearance either, but looks aren't everything. I appreciate your thorough review of your experience with these mufflers. Even though the bottom end might be a little off, the whole powerband is
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 08:59:04 AM »

I have run with the [highlight]V&H ovals on the V&H True Duals and found them just a little too loud[/highlight]
Now I have the S&S SPO's (on the V&H TD's) and they are just right on noise IMHO - meaty but not too obtrusive

The low end torque seemed to take a bit of a hit but I'm getting organised to fit the 575 cams so that should restore the low end Tq

The S&S SPO's are kinda bulky - but hidden under the bags they don't look too bad from the side

Mine have the ends painted matt black which helps the view from behind

I think there's an even quieter baffle available - the ones I have fitted are straight thru but I guess the size of the muffler body helps keep the dBs down

Actually the straight thru is great because you can see puffs of dust (or leaves! - or snow!!) being stirred up behind the bike even on idle and feel the exhaust pulses against your legs when you stand back there

And of course these things are stainless and should last forever - just right for a keeper of a bike

Cheers

Dave
Vance & Hines has a quiet baffle that is now available as an option for the V&H ovals.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 09:00:21 AM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 09:56:47 AM »

Vance & Hines has a quiet baffle that is now available as an option for the V&H ovals.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 10:00:45 AM by Ironhorse »
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 10:15:44 AM »

Hi Ironhorse,
You may want to check out the poll I started on head pipes.
I contacted both V&H and S&S and asked which way to go for a stock 103" and they both replied that I should stay with the stock headpipes vs. true duals. They stated that the stock setup would make more low and mid range torque which is what I wanted. They implied that true duals were more for looks.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 10:38:41 AM »

Hi Ironhorse,
You may want to check out the poll I started on head pipes.
I contacted both V&H and S&S and asked which way to go for a stock 103" and they both replied that I should stay with the stock headpipes vs. true duals. They stated that the stock setup would make more low and mid range torque which is what I wanted. They implied that true duals were more for looks.

I find that interesting since V&H sells a TD head pipe system. I know there is a loss, and it's all about looks and some heat on the leg issues. I was just wondering if there were other reasons. I still have my OEM cross over,.....just in case.

Thanks
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 02:54:26 PM »

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 04:55:40 PM »

Allrighty then!
It looks like SPOs may be in my future.
I'm keeping the TD look, even at the expense of a few #s.
Damn, I wish I could try some SPOs!

Mark

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 05:14:59 PM »

Allrighty then!
It looks like SPOs may be in my future.
I'm keeping the TD look, even at the expense of a few #s.
Damn, I wish I could try some SPOs!

Mark

Hey Mark. Make sure you see them first. At least pictures of them. You have to like/get used to these mufflers. They're definitely different. They've grown on me and I really like them. I like being different though and don't care too much about the chrome factor. [smiley=oops.gif] These are Stainless Polished Ovals. I've always liked S&S stuff. I haven't spoken to anyone that didn't like the sound/performance of them. These, the K&N and the PCIII are all I plan on doing. The 110" should do about 85-95 HP and 105-115 TQ, which is fine for a stock touring bike.

Hope this helps your decision. I'm pretty sure I'm there now, but you never know! ::) Take care and Have a Great Holiday! [smiley=drink.gif] Hoist!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 11:36:11 PM by Hoist »

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.