Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Stuck on bugs??????  (Read 20383 times)

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Re: Stuck on bugs??????
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2012, 10:53:59 PM »

I'll reinforce the warm wet towel. When touring I'll ask the Best Western for an old towel and soak it dripping, then drape it over the windshield/fairing. Next morning, it will wipe clean. Also agree not to use paper towel. Will check out the links on the products.

I think I might try this overnight soak.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2012, 10:56:47 PM »

I whore bath mine with bug slide between washes.  Makes the next round of bugs wipe right off.

I'm lovin the whole WHORE BATH thing and will be top on my list once I get it cleaned. :2vrolijk_21:

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2012, 11:15:41 PM »

this is just something we need to get used to since we drive on thr right hand side of the road....down under we drive on the left and the bugs are going the same way....simple geography :2vrolijk_21:
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »

this is just something we need to get used to since we drive on thr right hand side of the road....down under we drive on the left and the bugs are going the same way....simple geography :2vrolijk_21:

I'll try driving on the other side of the road but it could get dangerous.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2012, 11:36:40 PM »

I'll try driving on the other side of the road but it could get dangerous.
wont be worrying about bugs for long tho
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 11:43:23 PM »

Looking forward to the summer riding here but with all the rice fields the bugs get bad. I have used the Harley spray on wash an it works pretty good. The towel soak also does a good job. One thing not to do like with a removable windshield is soak it in the tub with dish washing soap. It will corrode the acorn nuts. Lesson learned.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2012, 12:24:16 AM »

I have always used shamwows soaked and draped over the front overnite they come off easy azz ...also have used glare polish on everything

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »

I think you're going to have to polish your problem out.  All these remedies are great but you have a different problem.  I've had the same problem.  The fairing was clean and smooth but in the right light you can still see the bug splatter, kinda like a stain.

If you're not handy with a buffer don't try it yourself, take it to a professional and get it buffed out.  To save money take the fairing off and hand it to the guy.  Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

You could go to your local parts store and buy some 3M professional polish Perfect it 06064 #2 this will remove the stains.  Apply with a microfiber cloth.  Be prepared to work at it.  If you do this by hand it is safe.  Then finish with Perfect it 06085 #1 polish and you'll be brand new again.  I do this procedure every spring with a buffer.  Kinda laboring by hand though.

Another product I think works awesome is Turtle wax bug and tar remover.  Follow the instructions on the bottle and it works great.  Leaves a great shine.  This is what I use during the riding season.  Works as good as bugslide.

Good luck
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »

thanks bud.  I bought one of those 3 " random orbital buffers from Griots. Thinking I might try this.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+polishing/orbitals+and+car+polishing+tools/professional+3+inch+random+orbital.do

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »

Something like that will work great.  Stay away from wool pads just use foam and you should be safe from burning any edges.  You'll be surprised how much you will use a tool like that.

I have a full fledged buffer and all the polishes and 3M pads.  Once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake. 

3M has a product called trizact 3000 that you can basically polish out a scratch by hand if you don't have the orbital sander.  This will take a ton of work out of buffing.  You can actually use this product on the whole fairing and then buff.  Your bug goo will be history and it won't abuse your clear coat like a heavy grit polish will.  I've been using this process for years.

If you want more info just give me a call and I'll walk you through it.

319 470 2873
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

Tim & Diann

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 09:40:28 PM »

I am very particular about our bikes and use "Texas Two Step."  Works great on the bugs and as a dry wash .  I never leave the bug juice on overnight. 

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »

Something like that will work great.  Stay away from wool pads just use foam and you should be safe from burning any edges.  You'll be surprised how much you will use a tool like that.

I have a full fledged buffer and all the polishes and 3M pads.  Once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake. 

3M has a product called trizact 3000 that you can basically polish out a scratch by hand if you don't have the orbital sander.  This will take a ton of work out of buffing.  You can actually use this product on the whole fairing and then buff.  Your bug goo will be history and it won't abuse your clear coat like a heavy grit polish will.  I've been using this process for years.

If you want more info just give me a call and I'll walk you through it.

319 470 2873

Thank you very much, I might take you up on that offer.

Rick

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2012, 03:10:06 PM »

I had a professional car detailer working on my car and had him polish the wires black paint and then apply Opticoat. It is one of the new nano coatings and he says the bugs do not stick to the coating and is a long lasting treatment that beads water for years. We'll see. :2vrolijk_21:

do-dahman

• do-dahman
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Under George's nose
    • TX

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE, Ivory and Gold delivered 12/17/11
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2012, 11:35:52 PM »

Dr. D, please keep us informed, that's an interesting alternative...
'84 FLT Tour Glide
5-speed
Blueprint stock engine
 '11 FLTRUSE
FuelMoto Header
Fullsac 2" Cores
Direct Link Tuned
Clearview shield 14.5" with vent
DayMaker Headlights
Sold 10/18
2017 FLHXSE
V&H Slipons

Jcarl08

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • SPIARTSgraphics
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2012, 06:40:23 AM »

I have been reading this thread for a while. I have learned of many products and techniques to remove bugs from windshields and fairings.  Tell me what you think of this. I am not sure if this product or method has been covered.  Several years ago I was at a rally and participated in a bike show. Early in the morning I went to a carwash for some shine-time. Bugs were everywhere, and they were a problem. I had this idea to use the shaving foam from the saddlebags. Parked in the shade preventing it from drying quickly, with my large Walmark towel socked with water, it works great with a little sock time. The only problem that I experience now is it produces a lotion film that needs buffing with some shine and a soft towel.  I make my own shine solution that anyone came make. :2vrolijk_21:
Jcarl
• I picked up my pal October 12, 2007
This is my slogan coined years ago, "I love to ride and ride what I love" I am an artist and photographer down in Houston, Texas that loves the two wheel experience.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.