Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Gel Seat pad  (Read 6015 times)

Shootpool

Gel Seat pad
« on: May 31, 2007, 02:17:17 PM »

Hi everyone!

After last years ride to Sturgis from Florida, I asked some riders about seat cushions because my butt  :'( was around my chin when I arrived home. I'm planning another extensive ride up to New Hampshire (Laconia) and around the mountains. I've heard allot about Gel Seat pads. Any particular brand that comes to mind? Anything to avoid? Anybody have any must-see routes I should consider?
Thanks
Shootpool.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 02:20:57 PM by Shootpool »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Gel Seat pad
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 02:29:12 PM »

Hi Shootpool,
You might like to check this company outy for a pad or get the pad installed in the seat so you don't increase the seat height.
http://www.thepropad.com/default.asp?cookiecheck=yes&

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:54:38 PM »

Hi Shootpool.

:welcome_005: to the CVO forum. Might be an idea if you hop up to the new mwmbers thread and say hi, preferably with a few pics of your scoot.

Cheers,

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 05:12:15 PM »

I bought an Airhawk cushion last week to hold me over until I decide which way I want to go on a seat replacement but unfortunately I haven’t used it yet and am unable to report on its usefulness.  It is a little pricier than gel seats but from what I read the gel seats can get very warm by being form fitting and these supposedly allow airflow.  I bought the medium from Derby Cycles for about $133 delivered and it took 2 days to deliver.

Good luck

Gregg

http://www.shapefitting.com/category.aspx?categoryid=54&startpage=0

http://www.derbycycles.com/?gclid=CO602ff0iYwCFQkjWAod6Qn

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 05:46:02 PM »

Hi everyone!

After last years ride to Sturgis from Florida, I asked some riders about seat cushions because my butt  :'( was around my chin when I arrived home. I'm planning another extensive ride up to New Hampshire (Laconia) and around the mountains. I've heard allot about Gel Seat pads. Any particular brand that comes to mind? Anything to avoid? Anybody have any must-see routes I should consider?
Thanks
Shootpool.

I tried several gel pads and frankly found them all to be lacking.  FLHRSE3 gave a good suggestion - Air Hawk.  http://www.cyclesaddles.com/home/Accessories/Airhawk_styles.htm

Several sizes are available and there are quite a few outlets for this product.  I have used one for years and have had great success with it.  I ride with several others who also use it and are pleased with its performance as well.  In addition to cushion, it keeps your butt cooler & drier.

Have fun on your ride to Laconia -never been- wish I was going this year.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

bgregston

• Elite CVO Member
  • Life's short! Get busy living or get busy dying!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 06:05:12 PM »

I have a ProPad like VaEagle suggested. Its good but not great. While I was on Run for the Wall last year a lot of people were picking up the bead seat covers. If you think about the car seat covers from the 60's made of marble sized beads, thats what I'm talking about. They were getting them at K-Mart and Walmart for super cheap. Apparently they work very well. There were several who were still using them this year.
Bret
2006 FLHTCUSE
Autumn Haze
D&D Fat Cats
SERT
Zippers A/C

charlie

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 07:35:44 PM »

hi shootpool.             try butt buffer there on the web. that is what i use ,my wife and i road from here in Atlanta to Pa. 13 hours ibought it up there and would not have made it back with out it.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 08:03:01 PM »

I have the gel built into my Road Sofa, and given the chance, I would not do it again. I have found it to be too temperature sensative. Park it out in the hot desert sun, and you will fry your nuts when you sit on it. On the other end of the spectrum, sub zero temps turn it into Blue Ice. I have had to buy sheepskin pelt to lay over it to keep comfortable. On the other hand, when the temps are nice, it is very comfy.

Your milage may vary.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 11:24:42 PM »

www.airrider.com    Take a look.

I currently have a 16"L X 14"W Air Rider memory gel pad on Ebay right now-item # 130120279952   .  It did not suit my wife's needs on her 03 Fatboy.  Same as new.  Bought in March 07..
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 02:49:59 PM by Boatman »

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 07:26:28 AM »

I would recomend an Airhawk seat pad.  I have had a gel seat pad installed in a mustang seat and had the seat end up being less comfortable than before.  The Airhawk is adjustable, I use one for both my passenger and myself on long rides.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 02:18:14 PM »

I bought one of those Air Rider gel cushions.  Used it one my trip to Rolling Thunder.  Worked very well, and I'm quite happy with it.

http://www.airrider.com/store/product.php?id=67

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 11:56:46 PM »

Hey shootpool, you'll love riding up in the northeat and White and Green Mountains it's beautiful up there. About 15 years ago while riding up there , I found a rode side shop that sold deer skin gloves,,,,,and he had whole sheepskins also, I bought a sheepskin from him......had some grommet wholes put in it, and trimmed it to fit a dresser seat, my wife and i call it wooly bully, when ever we travel we throw wooly on and ride in comfort, it keeps you cool on hot days an warm on chilly days, and provides allday long comfort and extra padding.....just a thought
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 05:56:58 PM »

I noticed an advert in Easyrider mag, June issue, there is an ad offering gel seats with a sheepskin covering. Unfortunately I binned it yesterday before I saw this post but take a look.

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 05:00:49 PM »

Update on the Arihawk; I spent 7.25 consecutive hours in the saddle today only stopping for gas.  I could have kept on going no problem, the last time I tried to spend that much time on this bike I was squirming all over the last 150 miles attempting to ease the discomfort.  So it was definitely a worthwhile investment.

Gregg

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 05:19:26 PM »

iski,

Like everything else, it is purely personal.  I bought propads for me and the backseater when I was in sturgis in 05 (sheepskin covered).  I was riding roadking classic with HD tallboy seat.  GF said it was the best thing since the invention of the credit card and my ass still hurt after a tank full of gas.

I bought a corbin about 500 miles ago and even though it is not exactly broken in yet it is MUCH more comfortable than stock or stock plus propad.

Just my $.02.

Good luck -- If you decide to get the propad drop me a line and I'll make you a deal....

Mark
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.