Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Half helmet  (Read 10801 times)

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Half helmet
« on: June 08, 2007, 04:22:34 PM »

Anybody have any suggestion on a decent half helmet?  I bought a HD one last year that has a nice design and is comfortable UNTIL you try going without a windshield or get caught in some stiff cross breezes, it tries to jerk your head right off.  I put some miles on yesterday and was fighting a 40+ knot crosswind and my neck is sore as hell today.  I saw a real good deal on a Bell Shorty, anybody have any experience with those.

Thanks

Gregg

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
Re: Half helmet
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 04:32:28 PM »

Dunno, I ride a SECU2 and it is quiet, with no wind or rain bothering me....    :orange: :orange: :orange: :orange:

Actually I use the HD carbon fiber half helmet that is comfy with little noticeable crosswind movement,  of course it is an Ultra.....

Mark

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 05:01:40 PM »

Check out this company http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

The problem with half's is most of them have a thick liner which makes them catch the wind easier...plus they make me look like a Nimrod, to borrow a concept from BigDaddy.  This one is DOT and thin.  I don't own one, but they look promising.  Pricey though.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 05:20:19 PM »

The problem with half's is most of them have a thick liner which makes them catch the wind easier...plus they make me look like a Nimrod, to borrow a concept from BigDaddy.  This one is DOT and thin.  I don't own one, but they look promising.  Pricey though.

HEY!!!  I resemble that remark!!!    ;)

There is a lot of padding with the HD hat though....

Mark

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 08:21:04 PM »

I have a CF DOT half-helmet from www.carbonfiberhelmet.com and can confirm that it is lighter, has less [but adequate] padding and doesn't give you that "just got shot out of a cannon" melon head look.  ;D
It still starts to feel like its coming off around 65+ mph unless its cinched down well. The helmet I have does not have a visor (optional) and air can still get underneath the rim of the helmet and start to lift it off. I guess even though its has less padding to catch the air, its also lighter so its easier to lift due to the less weight. Overall I love the helmet and get lots of kudos.

C

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 12:12:36 PM »

Is this company reputable?  I've heard complaints about some carbon fiber helmet company - not sure if it's this one ...

Anyone use the polo style helmet?  I like the look, but don't know if it's better or worse, as far as lifting in the wind goes.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

C-DEUCE04

• Junior CVO Member
  • Yella Fella
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 07:59:44 PM »

I had a quality issue with my first helmet I bought from them. After several months, the clear coat wasn't, well, clear anymore. It started fogging up for some odd reason. Anyway, gave them a call and they were prompt to let me know they would replace the helmet with a new one. It did take some time as they were backordered for 6 weeks or so but it eventually came in. The replacement one is doing fine thus far.
Overall, good customer service - returned calls/emails regarding this particular problem and properly sizing the helmet (instructions on cutting the foam pieces inside to fit) but again, backorder was a bit of nuisance. This was last year so maybe the shipping delays are taken care of now?
C

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 06:16:39 AM »

I had a quality issue with my first helmet I bought from them. After several months, the clear coat wasn't, well, clear anymore. It started fogging up for some odd reason. Anyway, gave them a call and they were prompt to let me know they would replace the helmet with a new one. It did take some time as they were backordered for 6 weeks or so but it eventually came in. The replacement one is doing fine thus far.
Overall, good customer service - returned calls/emails regarding this particular problem and properly sizing the helmet (instructions on cutting the foam pieces inside to fit) but again, backorder was a bit of nuisance. This was last year so maybe the shipping delays are taken care of now?
C

I appreciate the info.  Maybe I'll give em a try.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:10:25 PM »

I just received the ACC Head Trip 1/2 Helmet today. Flat Black without snaps, and doesn't have that CF look to it. I gotta tell you, I'm pretty happy with it! It's extremely solid, unlike the plastic novelty one I've used forever. I guess it'll be stronger with that CF and Kevlar. It really isn't any larger than my old plastic one either. This one is considered their Novelty model, as it doesn't pass the 7 lb Spear Piercing Test. ::) It meets all the same impact standards as their DOT Helmets except for the Piercing Test. It looks OK and doesn't sit on top of your head like a freakin melon!. They were good to deal with, and since they had mine in stock, I got it in 4 days. They run about 4-6 weeks if they don't, and have to order one. I'm ordering a second one. We'll both have real helmets for the first time, without making the helmet any larger than a normal novelty helmet! Prefer none at all (don't start), but if I'm wearing one, it might as well do something. Binx is happy with it too!

I'll let you know about the aerodynamics when I ride with it later.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 09:33:48 PM »

I just received the ACC Head Trip 1/2 Helmet today. Flat Black without snaps, and doesn't have that CF look to it. I gotta tell you, I'm pretty happy with it! It's extremely solid, unlike the plastic novelty one I've used forever. I guess it'll be stronger with that CF and Kevlar. It really isn't any larger than my old plastic one either. This one is considered their Novelty model, as it doesn't pass the 7 lb Spear Piercing Test. ::) It meets all the same impact standards as their DOT Helmets except for the Piercing Test. It looks OK and doesn't sit on top of your head like a freakin melon!. They were good to deal with, and since they had mine in stock, I got it in 4 days. They run about 4-6 weeks if they don't, and have to order one. I'm ordering a second one. We'll both have real helmets for the first time, without making the helmet any larger than a normal novelty helmet! Prefer none at all (don't start), but if I'm wearing one, it might as well do something. Binx is happy with it too!

I'll let you know about the aerodynamics when I ride with it later.

Hoist! 8)
howie,
glad you found one you like and company was easy to deal with! Have to show how the non melon looks, john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 09:35:40 PM »

howie,
glad you found one you like and company was easy to deal with! Have to show how the non melon looks, john

Sure thing John. In the light tomorrow. Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 09:36:02 PM »

:worthless:
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 09:51:21 PM »

Man, you couldn't wait til tomorrow! ;D The first one is the old crappy novelty helmet.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 09:52:05 PM »

Same view with the new CF Head Trip Helmet

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 09:52:30 PM »

Side of the Head Trip

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.