Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Half helmet  (Read 10799 times)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Half helmet
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 11:45:35 AM »

I always liked the Dark Helmet look, especially at ludicrous speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SANDURZ: Prepare ship for light speed.
HELMET: No, no, no, light speed is too slow.

SANDURZ: Light speed, too slow?

HELMET: Yes, we're gonna have to go right to ludicrous speed.

SANDURZ: Ludicrous speed? Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't know if this ship can take it.

HELMET: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz, chicken?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 12:11:14 PM by Talon »

scagnetti

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 05:37:23 AM »

Guys,

I have their DOT Polo in black candy carbon fiber and it is awesome. I traded up from the non-DOT Head Trip novelty Polo of theirs, which I had for 6 months, no questions asked. Just boxed it up, sent it to them and paid the difference. The DOT only sticks out about 1/2" more, has a more comfortable liner and also has a more secure and comfortable chinstrap. Also the visor is larger on the DOT Polo vs the non. You can request them to move the chinstrap rivets forward about 1" and it will all but eliminate the front of the helmet lifting up at speed. I also highly recommend the leather earpad option to cut down on wind noise. Excellent product and customer service.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 05:39:38 AM by scagnetti »

BaronStump

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 11:15:37 AM »

Guys,

I have their DOT Polo in black candy carbon fiber and it is awesome. I traded up from the non-DOT Head Trip novelty Polo of theirs, which I had for 6 months, no questions asked. Just boxed it up, sent it to them and paid the difference. The DOT only sticks out about 1/2" more, has a more comfortable liner and also has a more secure and comfortable chinstrap. Also the visor is larger on the DOT Polo vs the non. You can request them to move the chinstrap rivets forward about 1" and it will all but eliminate the front of the helmet lifting up at speed. I also highly recommend the leather earpad option to cut down on wind noise. Excellent product and customer service.

Just saw the new DOT-Polo on the web...like it.  Hey, on the earpad option; since they are sewn onto the straps and thus not removable; would they accomadate the J & M earpieces with only slight modifications?
'06 FLHTCUSE Haze-n-Black
Too Numerous to List
1999 Indian Chief (Custom Paint - Red)
ThunderHeart Single Fire
Woods W6H Prowler Cam
HackerLabs Hacker B
Too Much Chrome & Engine changes to list

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 03:32:10 PM »

Scagnetti

I took your advice and just modified my order.  I have the same helmet ordered in red candy carbon and had the ear flaps added, hopefully they will make short highway trips more comfortable and I’ll just require ear plugs for extending highway cruising.  They did not suggest relocating the straps until I have tried it out and if it doesn’t work for me they will gladly re-rivet it forward as needed.  They sure appear easy to work with.

Gregg

scagnetti

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2007, 01:49:05 AM »

I'm not sure about the J&M earpieces as I don't wear them but I was told that if you don't like the leather earpads just box the helmet back up and send it back. They will remove them and credit your account the $19.95 they cost and send it back to you.  So I would just get them and see. I don't know how many times I've ridden through Snoqualmie Pass here in WA, but it gets very windy and the earpads have saved some of my hearing for sure. I've actually been almost deaf before after riding through without the earpads. My rivets are moved forward 1" but from what I understand the comfort of the straps is also dependent on where the good Lord put the ears on the side of your head ;), also keep in mind that this really isn't as much of an issue with the earpads as your ears are covered.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2007, 10:20:32 AM »

The main way a helmet protects you is by dissipating the force of an impact, allowing your skull to slow down more gradually before your brain slams into it.  This is mainly accomplished by the deformation/compression of the semi-rigid foam liner (think Styrofoam).  If the helmet only has a very thin liner, the foam will have to be harder to prevent rapid bottoming of your skull against the shell.  This pretty much defeats the whole purpose, and is why you won't find real DOT or SNELL approved helmets with the ultra thin liner.  

Helmets are a very touchy subject, so I'll try to be nice and just say I support everyones right to place their own value on their head and it's contents.  (That's code for "If your head's worth $50, wear a $50 helmet".)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2007, 08:29:50 PM »

I received my ACC DOT Polo helmet today (1.5 weeks ahead of schedule) and just returned from a test ride and I am impressed by the lightness, compactness and comfort of it.  I rode for about 90 minutes and experienced no pressure points.  I then came home and popped my windshield off to see if it would allow me to ride without the windshield and not feel as though it was yanking my head off, as far as the wind is concerned it worked fantastic, no drag, no rising up on my forehead but my ears are ringing so bad after just a 3 mile ride.  I caution you, if you are contemplating this helmet, do not opt for the padded leather ear flaps unless you are absolutely positive that you head is wide enough that they will lie snuggly against your ears.  If your head is slimmer the flaps funnel the air in there and it just screams, I could not hear my pipes cranking it through the gears by the time I hit 50.  If I pressed in a little the noise would go away, hopefully I will be able to modify it some way.

Gregg

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 09:42:44 PM »

Thanks for spending yet ANOTHER $200.00 out of my pocket kids!!! 

Hey, Scagnetti...   with the DOT Polo, does that little skiff out there in the front actually keep any of the sun out of your eyes, or am I just fooling myself...   I'd like a little sun shade for the snozz, AND, if i do a face plant, that looks like it might keep a couple of teeth out of the asphalt...   Could you provide further info?

2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

scagnetti

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2007, 06:54:37 AM »

Hey FLHRSE3 sorry the earpads aren't working out for you, I love mine. We have alot of side wind where I ride here and not just straight on and the flaps help me alot with both. I know they will remove the earpads if you don't want them and credit you the money. Of course you will be without the helmet for awhile. As for the the visor on the front I think it blocks a little sun especially when you wear the helmet low on your head nice and tight like I do. Here's a pic from their website.

scagnetti

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2007, 06:56:40 AM »

earpads

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 10:39:35 AM »

I have been a SCUBA diver for the last 15 years or so, I am very familiar with dive masks fogging up under water.  Here is what you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquaseal-Sea-Drops-Anti-Fog-Lens-Mask-Cleaner-Scuba_W0QQitemZ190143544607QQihZ009QQcategoryZ71161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I use it on my safety glasses and dive masks, it works PERIOD!
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.