Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Nolan Helmet or Shoei Helmet ???  (Read 15363 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Nolan Helmet or Shoei Helmet ???
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 11:08:42 PM »

I made a mistake  I really lucked out when I bought my Nolan sight unseen after recomendations from this site.  I went with the Nolan 102 w/ J&M pre-wired. I love it. I should have tried it on before spending $600 but it came w/ a return policy so... The plug on the side of the helmet broke and was just replaced by J&M, under warranty, in Daytona.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 03:29:20 AM »

Great Info..........

Are there any other brand that I should consider?

Another consideration separate from brand is vision.  Some are much better than others allowing good peripheral vision.  Unfortunately when trying on a lid peripheral vision isn't something that is usually being considered.  We're thinking about how it fits on the head.  So whatever you try just remember to make a conscious act of remember to look sideways too.

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Screaming Eagle Road King
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 06:12:37 AM »

I now am leaning toward the Nolan N102 N-Com without headset, and how I understand the whole intercom/Blue Tooth stuff by reading there website.

I am suppose to order the Nolan without the headset because I do not have anything to plug the intercom into.

Is this right....Just want to make sure and order the right helmet..........
2008 Screaming Eagle Road King

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 07:16:49 AM »

I now am leaning toward the Nolan N102 N-Com without headset, and how I understand the whole intercom/Blue Tooth stuff by reading there website.

I am suppose to order the Nolan without the headset because I do not have anything to plug the intercom into.

Just like a pair of shoes, helmets should be tried on. I wanted a Nolan real bad. We got my wife one and she loves it. I really wanted the flip up. I tried and tried to convince myself that the Nolan was for me. It just didn't fit my head shape. I'm a "long oval" and the Nolan is more for those with a rounder face than mine.

You really need to put on a helmet for a good 30 or 45 minutes in a store to see if it's comfortable; unless you just want to start a collection of helmets you love but can't wear.

It wasn't until I went HERE that I found a helmet that fit my head. Unfortunately I could not find a flip-up that fit me and I wound up with a standard full face helmet. The research paid off because the helmet I got is absolutely the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn.

Good luck, but don't rush it.

:indian_chief:

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 09:37:28 AM »

Remember the NCOM Bluetooth works with some MP3, Telephones and GPS units.
Also Chief is right, you saw part of my helmet collection in the picture. Most came from ordering online and not trying on first and wearing for 30+ minutes in a store. DON'T DO WHAT I DID!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 12:28:49 PM »

If you're going with the Nolan N102 N-Com helmet, you could now or later also get the bluetooth set up for wireless phone and intercom between you and passenger (or even another rider with the same set up that is riding within 60' or so of you......the reception range of bluetooth).  This is the set up that I ordered since my bike doesn't have an intercom/CB system stock, on the bike. 

I could have went with the "wired" version and it would have been a little more affordable but I didn't want to deal with all the wires and cables.

I've got the helmets and like I stated above, they're the best that I own (I've got more than my share of helmets).  Perreprial vision is mentioned above and that is one of the things the Motorcycle Consumer News tested on each model with this helmet coming in with high marks.  Once I get the bluetooth (hopefully in the next week or so) gear for both helmets, I've post a little review on here.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hogasm

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 02:22:21 PM »

Not to thread jack here.........has anyone tried the bluetooth with a 3/4 helmet?

I bought a flip up and it drives me crazy. Ended up riding with the face fliped up.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 05:19:52 PM »

Not to thread jack here.........has anyone tried the bluetooth with a 3/4 helmet?

Tim and Karen, the couple that rode with me to MV on their Ultra, have 3/4 Arai helmets with the J&M headsets and love the helmets and the headsets.  They went from full face helmets with the MOCO's set up for headsets.  Hope this helps.

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Screaming Eagle Road King
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 08:20:34 PM »

If you're going with the Nolan N102 N-Com helmet, you could now or later also get the bluetooth set up for wireless phone and intercom between you and passenger (or even another rider with the same set up that is riding within 60' or so of you......the reception range of bluetooth).  This is the set up that I ordered since my bike doesn't have an intercom/CB system stock, on the bike.
[/b]

I'm new at this, Are you stating that I can use my Cell Phone with Blue Tooth capability to work the 2 Nolan Helmets ?

Is there a Kit that you buy and install into the Nolan Helmets or Can you just buy 2 Nolan Helmets with this feature already in place?

How does this all work ? The short simple version would be great....

Thanks....
2008 Screaming Eagle Road King

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 09:41:30 PM »

I'm new at this, Are you stating that I can use my Cell Phone with Blue Tooth capability to work the 2 Nolan Helmets ?

Is there a Kit that you buy and install into the Nolan Helmets or Can you just buy 2 Nolan Helmets with this feature already in place?

Thanks....

Excuse me for jumping in but I believe what he was saying was that you could use your bluetooth phone with the Nolan if you bought the bluetooth kit for the Nolan. That kit would also allow you to talk to someone else if they also had a Nolan with the bluetooth kit. Try this page for additional info. http://ncom.nolan.it/Index_ENG.aspx   Good luck, jj

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2007, 10:18:57 PM »

Thanks....

As with all Blue tooth unit they can only be "paired" with one other blue tooth device at a time. If you have it paired to your cell then you cannot talk to your passenger via bluetooth without disconnecting from the phone and "pairing" to your partners helmet.

For your helmets you'll need a Ncom compatible helmet, either the Nolan N102 (full face flip-up), N84 (road full face), N42 (jet) or the N32 (demi-jet). For each helmet you'll need a Ncom basic kit and a blue tooth kit.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2007, 10:30:32 PM »

Dude is completely correct but please don't take from his description that you can't have Bluetooth to phone functionality and helmet to helmet intercom at the same time.  You can.  It would just require using Bluetooth connection to the phone and a wired connection between the helmets for the intercom.

The audio kit for the Nolan helmets includes the connections for this.  It has the connection for the Bluetooth module along with two wired connections.  One of those is an input to be taken from any other audio source (MPS, GPS, etc) while the other is for the helmet to helmet intercom.  You could do helmet to helmet Bluetooth.  Doing so would eliminate using the phone though.

The passenger helmet would not even need the Bluetooth module.  Only the audio kit installed within it.  That'd save a few dollars.  If it did have the Bluetooth module, however, the passenger could pair to her own phone independently of the driver and his phone.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2007, 10:58:11 PM »

My N-COM had been working perfectly for quite awhile then a few days ago, poof - it died. Called Nolan customer service, we tried several things (for about 1/2 an hour) then, just joking he said I'm sure you charged it up.  :oops: Felt like a complete idiot. I had forgotten about charging it since it has been running off the first full charge the entire time. Note to self, charge it once a month if it needs it or not. ;D ;D ;D

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2007, 11:02:46 PM »

Dude is completely correct but please don't take from his description that you can't have Bluetooth to phone functionality and helmet to helmet intercom at the same time.  You can.  It would just require using Bluetooth connection to the phone and a wired connection between the helmets for the intercom.

The audio kit for the Nolan helmets includes the connections for this.  It has the connection for the Bluetooth module along with two wired connections.  One of those is an input to be taken from any other audio source (MPS, GPS, etc) while the other is for the helmet to helmet intercom.  You could do helmet to helmet Bluetooth.  Doing so would eliminate using the phone though.

The passenger helmet would not even need the Bluetooth module.  Only the audio kit installed within it.  That'd save a few dollars.  If it did have the Bluetooth module, however, the passenger could pair to her own phone independently of the driver and his phone.

Maybe I am mistaken but I thought if your helmet had the bluetooth module and your passenger's also had it, that you could communicate via the bluetooth connection with your passenger in addition to using your phone via a bluetooth connection??

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2007, 11:03:33 PM »

My N-COM had been working perfectly for quite awhile then a few days ago, poof - it died. Called Nolan customer service, we tried several things (for about 1/2 an hour) then, just joking he said I'm sure you charged it up.  :oops: Felt like a complete idiot. I had forgotten about charging it since it has been running off the first full charge the entire time. Note to self, charge it once a month if it needs it or not. ;D ;D ;D

Once a month?  Damn...  :huepfenlol2:

I've found in use that mine will last through any full day of regular use.  Including a day that included four hours of so the the MP3 player in the Garmin GPS playing audio constantly through the Bluetooth connection.  With phone only use have had it go two days that included a fair bit of usage.  Honestly never tried to push it farther than that though.  Got in the habit of putting in the charger early on so it doesn't get the chance to leave me alone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.