Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley Profit Jumps  (Read 2376 times)

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
Harley Profit Jumps
« on: October 12, 2005, 08:58:29 AM »

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Harley-Davidson Inc. (NYSE:HDI - news) on Wednesday posted a 16 percent increase in third-quarter profit as demand for its iconic motorcycles rose more than the market, sending shares up more than 6 percent.

Net income increased to $264.9 million, or 96 cents a share, from almost $229 million, or 77 cents a share, a year earlier. Analysts on average were expecting 90 cents a share, according to Reuters Estimates.

Sales rose 10 percent to $1.43 billion, meeting Wall Street's expectations, as demand for Harley motorcycles outpaced the total industry in each of the company's major markets.

"Not only were retail sales good in the quarter, outperforming the market, but also the guidance for next year is up 6 to 7 percent, which is in line with what the Street had," said FTN Midwest Research analyst Brian Rayle, who has a "neutral" rating on Harley's stock.

Investors have been concerned about whether the Milwaukee-based company can achieve its long-term growth targets amid fears of slowing retail demand for its Harley brand.

Shares of Harley, whose competitors include Honda Motor Co. Ltd. (7267.T) and Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd. (7012.T), have slid almost 25 percent so far this year, compared with a 2.2 percent decline in the Standard & Poor's 500 index (^SPX - news).

"Our motorcycles sold at a brisk pace in all of our worldwide markets," Chief Executive Jim Ziemer said in a statement, citing a 12 percent increase in U.S. retail sales of the Harley brand motorcycles.

Retail sales rose 11.5 percent in Europe and 13 percent in Japan. Retail sales worldwide rose 12.1 percent.

The company said it remains on track to ship 329,000 Harley motorcycles this year and affirmed its 2005 profit outlook.

In July, Harley raised its earnings-per-share growth target for the year due to share repurchases to between 10 percent and 13 percent from a previous range of 5 percent to 8 percent.

Given uncertainty surrounding consumer confidence, increasing fuel prices and rising interest rates, the company set a 2006 shipment target range of 348,000 to 352,000 Harley motorcycles, Ziemer said, calling it a "conservative outlook."

Harley also broadened its long-term forecast on wholesale unit growth to 5 percent to 9 percent annually, he said. That supports an annual earnings-per-share growth target in the range of 11 percent to 17 percent.

It previously said its longer-term growth forecast for motorcycle unit shipments was 7 percent to 9 percent, supporting earnings-per-share percentage increases in the mid-teens.

Third-quarter sales from Harley motorcycles rose 11.4 percent to $1.11 billion, while global shipments increased 8.7 percent to 87,585 units.

Harley's gross profit margin in the quarter improved to 39.2 percent of sales, compared with 38 percent a year before, due mostly to strong sales of higher-profit vehicles.

In trading before the market opened, Harley shares were up $3.00, or 6.6 percent, to $48.60 on the Inet electronic brokerage from Tuesday's     New York Stock Exchange
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
Re: Harley Profit Jumps
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 07:20:41 PM »

Stock still down about $13 per share over 8 month's ago.......wonder if this news will get them back to that level??????????????

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 07:44:37 PM »

Stock still down about $13 per share over 8 month's ago.......wonder if this news will get them back to that level??????????????
Don't know if I'd 'bet' on it.  Not when they're talking about General Motors going 'belly-up' and the softening of the economy with the reasons mentioned.  I wouldn't believe their 'guideance' either.....not with all the pessimism going around now.  Who are they gonna sell all these new scooters to?    [smiley=confused5.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 11:27:42 PM »

Maybe they will offer us the family plan or employee discounts at some point to keep things moving.......That would be like a 22% rebate! Yippee the screaming eagle vrod would look even prettier to me at that point!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 09:02:10 PM »

Stock looked good today...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 10:25:36 PM »

It'll certainly have a positive effect.  But I think that we're watching the bigger picture.  I've said it before......HD is up to something for model year 07 but I just don't know what.  I think I'll just keep sitting on my stock, at this point. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 10:52:50 PM »

I bought some stock several months ago when it was at its low, 45.20 i think. I sure hope it keeps climbing [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 10:24:55 AM »

I bought stock 15+ years ago and have seen it split several times. I would love to see another split. Whatever happens I am in for the long term. It will be interesting to see what they have going in the next couple of years. I think some major changes...we'll see. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 11:37:11 AM »

Just sold some off at 55.50
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 01:22:52 PM »

I bought stock 15+ years ago and have seen it split several times. I would love to see another split. Whatever happens I am in for the long term. It will be interesting to see what they have going in the next couple of years. I think some major changes...we'll see. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I'm with you Tony.....started buying in 92 and I'm in it for the long haul.  I'll just stay put. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.