Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Bikers Threatened With Hefty Noise Fines  (Read 5146 times)

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Bikers Threatened With Hefty Noise Fines
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 12:32:02 AM »

Mike-Invite a few of use over we,ll have some fun. I still crack-up thinking about EZ rider last year. We were leaving motel in morning and warming up bikes .A guy on the second floor ,who i think was the guy that came in about 2;30am drunk and woke me up, wanted to sleep in. Well we woke his @ss up  getting ready to leave, he was on the 2nd floor screamin $hit down to us but wasn,t making his way for the stairs(had some smarts)  Jim HD_DUDE put down about 75 feet of rubber on his way out. the guy was going nuts......AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006, 11:14:12 AM »

Mike-Invite a few of use over we,ll have some fun. I still crack-up thinking about EZ rider last year. We were leaving motel in morning and warming up bikes .A guy on the second floor ,who i think was the guy that came in about 2;30am drunk and woke me up, wanted to sleep in. Well we woke his @ss up
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

cigarmike

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 02:35:13 PM »

lol, always willing to help....thats why I love you guys...............in a manly Harley kind of way of course.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 03:44:42 PM »

As many members have already stated, it's about riding responsibly. There are times and places for WOT antics and we need to select them judiciously.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 03:48:22 PM »

With all due respect to law dont forget that
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIFES
nuff said [smiley=drink.gif]

This noise thing continues to gain political momentum as a quality of life issue. I believe that we should be moving towards a reasonable middle ground solution before we are pushed into an unreasonable one. I can only imagine the regulations that a government obsessed with this quality of life issue will consider, to ensure that motorcyclists are both safe and compliant.

Was it the AMA that coined the slogan;
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 03:50:04 PM by djkak »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 04:08:44 PM »

Mike-Invite a few of use over we,ll have some fun. I still crack-up thinking about EZ rider last year. We were leaving motel in morning and warming up bikes .A guy on the second floor ,who i think was the guy that came in about 2;30am drunk and woke me up, wanted to sleep in. Well we woke his @ss up
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 04:10:00 PM by SPIDERMAN »

RedFXR2

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 05:02:23 PM »

Here's a perspective on the problem from one who says they live in AZ and are quite familiar with the area and the problem:

"A lot of the issue is pretty common and can be seen or heard in this case any and every weekend. You just came out of El Encanto Mexican Cafe (in Cave Creek) and you're getting ready to head out town to continue your ride. As your getting set to fire up... you hear a bike coming through town towards Carefree. As they go past you pull in behind them. Half way through Carefree they turn right (South) and roll on the throttle like its party time making the pipes bark right through Carefree's art gallery central heading back down into the valley. Almost every time this has gone on it

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 06:06:19 PM »

Bottom line is that communities like this WILL prevail...even if somehow the citation does not stick, your choices will be to pay it by mail, fight it in their traffic court...either way, you're going to be out some cash that could be better spent on something else.  Cracking the throttle in a small town Art district is NOT the the thing to do, particularly when you know it's already a problem.  My neighbors would raise hell, and I live on acre + lots, if I rode up and down the street being stupid/inconsiderate.  There's a time and place for everything...everybody can debate the merits/disadvantages of loud pipes 'till the cows come home...this stuff is getting serious, and if people don't voluntarily control the noise by taking it easy in those areas where they KNOW they should, it will be legislated for you, like it or not.

[smiley=soapbox.gif]
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 12:25:15 PM »

Bottom line is that communities like this WILL prevail...even if somehow the citation does not stick, your choices will be to pay it by mail, fight it in their traffic court...either way, you're going to be out some cash that could be better spent on something else.

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 09:31:19 PM »

I used to think that the loud pipes save lives argument was a farce. It was always spewed out by riders who got a kick out of running drag pipes WOT through town. I never bought into the argument until the very first ten minutes I rode my new 07 CUSE with the stock pipes. Some stupid ass woman just changed lanes and ran me into a curb. I am sure its because she didn't hear or see me. I slapped a set of Hooker slip ons on the bike within hours and will never, repeat never ever ride stock quiet pipes again. I'll stop riding before I do that.

I now believe that the extra sensory issue of being able to hear as well as see a motorcycle is crucial.
02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 10:35:56 PM »

I used to think that the loud pipes save lives argument was a farce. It was always spewed out by riders who got a kick out of running drag pipes WOT through town. I never bought into the argument until the very first ten minutes I rode my new 07 CUSE with the stock pipes. Some stupid ass woman just changed lanes and ran me into a curb. I am sure its because she didn't hear or see me. I slapped a set of Hooker slip ons on the bike within hours and will never, repeat never ever ride stock quiet pipes again. I'll stop riding before I do that.

I now believe that the extra sensory issue of being able to hear as well as see a motorcycle is crucial.
Assuming the cage driver wasn't on the phone, playing the stereo loudly, lost in space, or just a lousy driver period, what makes you think that louder pipes would have made a difference?
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 10:45:23 PM »

While I dearly love the sound of rich rumbling pipes, physics defies the claim that loud pipes save lives. It's only when the offending jerkazoid is behind you or right next to you that the benefit of loud(er) pipes come into play. It's simply a matter of how sound travels.
I'm with Jerry,... sound defensive riding practices and techniques will help you get home safe & sound way better than loud pipes.
But don't let this small piece of personal observation stop you from going out and getting great sounding rumble pipes... I love the sound too!!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 11:33:45 AM »

If anyone cares, here's my $.02. I'm glad I live in America and extremely proud to be an American. I believe we all have the right to choose to do what we like. More and more, these rights are being governed away because people have lost the concept of respecting other people's rights as well. This issue falls directly into that catagory. I agree with Jerry from the standpoint of the "jackasses". I also agree with Jerry and SEULTRA about their position on defensive riding. However, I also agree with sponserv's position, if he feels being heard will help him be more noticable in an emergency situation. If you care about your life, it is always one's own responsibility to always be aware, ride defensively and understand avoidance techniques. You need to understand that you should ride like every cage out there is trying to kill you. A lot of people will never get a second chance like you might get in a cage. So you had better not solely rely on your pipes to save your life. The additional noise you create with louder pipes can't hurt however, and may help in certain situations.

What it comes down to, IMHO, is that we have the right to do what we want as long as it doesn't infringe on other's right's. Things like common sense and common courtesy seem to have gone out the window in favor of letting gov't. create laws to determine what we can or can not do.

Therefore, there is no right or wrong on this arguement, just as there is none regarding helmets. It's our right to choose, just as much as it's our responsibility to let other's do the same, without infringing on their rights either.

I hate to get all philosophical here, but people need to be more aware of what our Founding Fathers tried to create for us over 200 years ago, and fight like hell to keep it. You have rights but so do others!

Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 01:23:22 PM »

This "noise pollution" issue is becoming more and more prevelant in other motorized vehicles, not just motorcycles.  Jet skis (or Sea-Doos...whatever the type) are being regulated on some of our lakes now because of the noise they create, and the fact that many of the riders tend to get out in front of your place and drone on and on and on and on....one of the lakes here in Alabama (believe me, as a rule Alabama is one of the last to jump on these bandwagons) has recently passed a controversial ordinance on the size of boats allowed on the water.  Guess why?  Not because people of people in their cruisers, houseboats, large pontoons, etc....it's the Cigarette boats.  Most of them on the lake run open headers...it is totally obnoxious!!  I like the sound of a good running engine as much as anyone, but there is a time and place for everything. The place for bypassing the mufflers and opening up the headers is not running 50 yards out from vacation homes...it's for open water.  Same is true for bikers...it may be fine to tweak the throttle in the parking lot of your local HD dealer, or out on the open road, but it is definitly not fine to do so in areas where common sense tells you it will in all probablity be irritating to other people.  When stuff like this happens, the laws passed tend towards the opposite extreme, so unless we all want our Harleys to sound like Wings, everybody had better wake up and smell the coffee, and encourage our friends to be a little more considerate when/where appropriate.  Whether loud pipes save lives or not (and I honestly don't believe in 98% of the cases it makes a hill of beans), that will not be a successful argument against an ordinance prohibiting them.  Period.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 01:24:03 PM »

Some stupid ass woman just changed lanes and ran me into a curb. I am sure its because she didn't hear or see me.

People that are zoned-out and not focused on driving are unlikely to respond to an increase in the ambient sound level. Loud exhaust, blaring from the rear of a machine; reflecting off everything around it is not an effective sound cue unless it happens to be right along side of you.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 01:25:51 PM by djkak »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.