Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Bikers Threatened With Hefty Noise Fines  (Read 5147 times)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Re: Bikers Threatened With Hefty Noise Fines
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006, 06:07:25 PM »

Assuming the cage driver wasn't on the phone, playing the stereo loudly, lost in space, or just a lousy driver period, what makes you think that louder pipes would have made a difference?
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2006, 06:11:57 PM »

On the money Jerry.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:13:02 PM by BLM777 »

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2006, 08:13:43 AM »

On the money Jerry.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2006, 06:45:58 PM »

Here's what's happening in Arizona.  We have a popular destination north of Phoenix called Cave Creek.  Most of the bars and restaurants are located
in that town.  Many even cater to the biker crowd.  In order to get to Cave Creek from Phoenix you must go through another town called Carefree.  Carefree has posted discriminatory signs that have enraged the biker community.  Attached is a picture of the signs posted in Carefree, Az which shows a picture of a motorcycle.  Cave Creek has refused to post the signs.   The current program involves educating the bikers on how much noise is produced by a given bike and in essence the benefit of lugging your engine in the interest of keeping the noise down.  The local mounties will let you test your bike for decibel output at differing rpm so you will know when you exceed 80.  About 2 years ago they busted a group of riders.  The local judge convicted the group but it was later dismissed because of their failure to prove individual violations.      

Here is an update on the situation in Carefree Az.  If you recall they posted a noise warning sign with a picture of a motorcycle.

Motorcycle Symbol to be Removed from Signs Out of Respect for Motorcyclists

CAREFREE, Ariz. (December 14, 2006)
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2006, 07:58:53 PM »

Here is an update on the situation in Carefree Az.  If you recall they posted a noise warning sign with a picture of a motorcycle.

Motorcycle Symbol to be Removed from Signs Out of Respect for Motorcyclists

CAREFREE, Ariz. (December 14, 2006)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2007, 11:46:39 AM »

Noise abatement is a reality today.  Setting up concrete barriers between Interstates and housing developments built next to them.  Noise abatement zones around airports, etc.  The city I live in, Fredericksburg, VA, has a major road, US3 that runs through the northern portion of the city.  There is one place where you go down a slight hill and off to the right is a sign that says, "Residential Area, No Engine Braking", aimed specifically at the semis, dump-trucks, etc, that use their engine brakes and cause the loud back pressure popping from a diesel engine.  That's the only place I've ever see a sign like that, and the truck drivers respect it and I've never heard a deisel use engine brakes when I've been in that area.  It boils down to being responsible and it's our obligation as the owners of motorcycle, diesels with engine brakes, or whatever, to operate them responsibly and respect the rights of others as we expect them to respect our rights to have freer breathing (read louder) exhausts on our bikes.  If you've just got to crack that throttle to show off your pipes, do it at a rally or go out into the country where no one can hear you and crank to your hearts content.  I don't have louder pipes on my HD's because I believe for one minute they save lives.   I have them because I like the sound and the performance gains I get, but I also know with that extra sound I have to be a little more responsible in how I drive it.  When I'm leaving for work at 5:30am, I try to get out of the neighborhood with minimum throttle to keep the noise down.  I've never had a neighbor come up to me and ask me to keep the noise down when I'm riding.  My one neighbor across the street was very nervous when he moved in and found out that I was a Harley rider.  He even asked me if I had loud pipes on the bike.  I talk to him all the time and he's never once told me that he thought I was too noisey when I rode the bike.  It's on us folks, either we take it upon ourselves to do it right, or we'll get forced to do it right.  My $.02
Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2007, 02:09:30 PM »

This story illustrates why I gave up on campgrounds. The walls of a tent provide 0 sound proofing. There's folks who stay out late and one's who get up early. Last time I camped out was in Sturgis a few years back. Guys rollin in at 3AM and other's rollin out at 5AM. AND, have you ever noticed how much louder it is when you're on the ground as the sound travels over the ground. So, I said enough and now always sleep in a hotel or private home or I stay home. With my hearing loss, a set of earplugs and I can sleep till my own internal clock says get up.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Cerdo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 09:47:13 PM »

RedDevil hit the nail on the head, be nice when you have too, open it up when yyou can.
Andy

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2007, 10:24:45 PM »

Here's what's happening in Arizona.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2007, 12:51:37 AM »

The engine braking of trucks is banned all over - its a common restriction in towns all over. Its the same as the biker thing, the "Billy Big Riggers" as we call them with the long nose Petes and 8" Dia straight pipes have brought it on themselves. There's no reason for it, and more than once its scared the crap out of me when their next to me going down a hill, but even more scary in a truck stop where it is utterly ridiculous.  It will scare you - sounds like a 3" .50 cal automatic gun from my old Navy days. So now every lil city council votes to ban engine brakes despite their being saftey devices - especially in hilly areas. When I am loaded real heavy, 30-40 thousand lbs over legal I ignore the signs and hit the "Jake" or engine brakes for sure, saftey before politics. I run mufflers so its not that bad and I've never been questioned about it, if its not needed I turn them off. IMHO - Those guys with the straight pipes on trucks need to be heavily fined. Damn, I must be gettin old, and now I sound like a hypocrite as well since I have a 2-1 pipe with virtually no baffle on my bike...hmmm...oh well 8)
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Rhino

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2007, 08:58:41 PM »

For those heading to Daytona for bike week, you may already know that the true Daytona Main Street area is not hopping like it used to. After Rossmeyer Harley decided he had enough, he moved a lot of the action outta Daytona town. One of the hot spots is north of Daytona, towards the next town of Ormond, north on US 1.  They now call it Destination Daytona, but it's in unincorporated Ormond.

The reason I mention this is that the city of Daytona has not been as of late, the friendliest biker destination, as it appears farther north on US 1, where it is.  On the radio, they have been touting the noise abatement ticketing that will be in full force in Daytona.  Officers are being equipped with decibel meters, and for every bike violation, you will get smacked with a 75.00 dollar ticket. I think this is not going to be an ongoing thing, but they certainly made everyone that lives down here well aware of their strategy during bike week.

So to all my bretheren out there reading this, if you wrap open the throttle in Daytona, make sure there aint some cop around.  Me personally, I am hanging north and south of that lovely city this year.

Rhino

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2007, 08:53:22 PM »

Hey Bros If any of you are making a list of towns to avoid add New Hope PA to your list.  Its one of a dozen quaint little towns along the Delaware between NJ & PA.

Nice riding on both sides.  Anyhow its a great gathering and waterhole town for area bikers.  Of late, many of the shops have become more uptown. Seems the 4-5 dozen bikers that have been supporting the economy are not so welcome anymore.

During the summer traffic moves about 5 miles an hour in town.  The local cops ride bicycles and carry decibel meters.

If you park you better keep your front wheel off the additional painted line near traffic.  75 bucks for either violation. 

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2007, 09:28:01 PM »

:oops:looks like time to find another town.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2007, 09:29:27 PM »

Heres the only sign i have from carefree  az   on my wedding day.   Didnt look like a big enough town to even be in long enough to make noise.    :nixweiss:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2007, 08:51:38 AM »

Here's what's happening in Arizona.  We have a popular destination north of Phoenix called Cave Creek.  Most of the bars and restaurants are located in that town.  Many even cater to the biker crowd.  In order to get to Cave Creek from Phoenix you must go through another town called Carefree.  Carefree has posted discriminatory signs that have enraged the biker community.  Attached is a picture of the signs posted in Carefree, Az which shows a picture of a motorcycle.  Cave Creek has refused to post the signs.   The current program involves educating the bikers on how much noise is produced by a given bike and in essence the benefit of lugging your engine in the interest of keeping the noise down.  The local mounties will let you test your bike for decibel output at differing rpm so you will know when you exceed 80.  About 2 years ago they busted a group of riders.  The local judge convicted the group but it was later dismissed because of their failure to prove individual violations.      

Doesn`t look like those old guys putting up the sign could hear themselves fart.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.