Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Harley moving jobs to Europe  (Read 12024 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Harley moving jobs to Europe
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2018, 07:52:54 AM »

Actually plans were in the works long before the United States put new tariffs in place a week ago or so.  Seems Harley and others thought it was a great time to blame the administration on the move and take the heat off themselves. Not the first plant overseas anyway  😎

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-harleydavidson-thailand/harley-davidson-plans-a-thailand-factory-to-serve-se-asian-market-idUSKBN18L0DA
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 07:56:02 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2018, 06:57:10 PM »

Now Polaris announced they will be manufacturing in Poland.

geezerglide

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2018, 08:33:22 PM »

Now Polaris announced they will be manufacturing in Poland.

geezerglide

Here again they already had the plant in place.

http://www.atv.com/blog/2014/09/polaris-opens-manufacturing-facility-in-poland.html
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2018, 08:16:47 AM »

So all in all, bikes that could have been made here and shipped overseas, were, are, or will be made in other countries for sale there.

Makes business sense, avoids tariffs and fees, and makes the company profit.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2018, 09:10:14 AM »

So all in all, bikes that could have been made here and shipped overseas, were, are, or will be made in other countries for sale there.

Makes business sense, avoids tariffs and fees, and makes the company profit.

Yeah, a good business move when products can be produced closer to point of sale, if done efficiently.  Means HD is thinking growth & beyond "survivor" mode.  The thing that underlies the angst of the media, etc. is:  US unions will lose some jobs because bikes they were made here to be shipped elsewhere will now be made elsewhere. 

The misinformation - along the line of HD will be making bikes in "x" country & shipping them back to the US to sell - is a running story too.  Not accurate, a lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth has got its boots on.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2018, 09:51:41 AM »

Yeah, a good business move when products can be produced closer to point of sale, if done efficiently.  Means HD is thinking growth & beyond "survivor" mode.  The thing that underlies the angst of the media, etc. is:  US unions will lose some jobs because bikes they were made here to be shipped elsewhere will now be made elsewhere. 

The misinformation - along the line of HD will be making bikes in "x" country & shipping them back to the US to sell - is a running story too.  Not accurate, a lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth has got its boots on.

Absolutely a good move especially when you consider the tariffs that were already in place for shipping to Europe.  Just ask anyone in Europe  that has purchased anything made in America even prior to 2016.

As for the lie I agree as well some people tend to see everything as a negative and have blinders on when it comes to the truth.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2018, 11:07:47 AM »

And then there's this happening.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/26/trump-says-harley-davidson-using-trade-tensions-as-an-excuse.html?__source=sharebar|facebook&par=sharebar

I guess that's one way to keep it from moving operations overseas.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2018, 12:08:32 PM »

And then there's this happening.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/26/trump-says-harley-davidson-using-trade-tensions-as-an-excuse.html?__source=sharebar|facebook&par=sharebar

I guess that's one way to keep it from moving operations overseas.

If they try to import any of the stuff they build overseas into the US, you can bet they will be paying through the nose.  Looks like not only the customers are no longer enamored of H-D, but the POTUS as well.  Say goodbye to all the favorable treatment they've received from government agencies over the last several decades.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »

If they try to import any of the stuff they build overseas into the US, you can bet they will be paying through the nose.  Looks like not only the customers are no longer enamored of H-D, but the POTUS as well.  Say goodbye to all the favorable treatment they've received from government agencies over the last several decades.

Jerry

If they intend to ship back to the United States then they should be treated no different than any other company shipping to the United States.   
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2018, 12:47:03 PM »

Trump also encouraged outsourcing to students of Trump University, the now-defunct program that is under litigation over allegations of fraud. In a 2005 post titled “Outsourcing Creates Jobs in the Long Run,” Trump wrote that sending work outside your company “is not always a terrible thing.”

“I know that doesn’t make it any easier for people whose jobs have been outsourced overseas, but if a company’s only means of survival is by farming jobs outside its walls, then sometimes it’s a necessary step. The other option might be to close its doors for good,” Trump wrote in the post.

The above may be fake depending on what you want to believe.  I confess I just copied it off the internet.

Does the POTUS get to single out companies and bully/threaten them with "taxes like they've never seen before"?

Seems like taxes would be the same on a Trump suit made in Mexico as a Harley made in Europe or Thailand.  No different for any company shipping outside the U.S.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2018, 12:53:17 PM »

Considering the way this thread has turned of late, maybe it's time for somebody to manufacture a Democrat oil & somebody else manufacture a Republican oil.  Then we could argue over which oil is better & why, forever, until it's written on our tombstones about what great oil arguers we were. 

Of course if one or both of those oils was imported, or an oil company moved it's operations to a country outside the USA, then we would have a whole new set of arguments.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »

Does the POTUS get to single out companies and bully/threaten them with "taxes like they've never seen before"?
Seems like taxes would be the same on a Trump suit made in Mexico as a Harley made in Europe or Thailand.  No different for any company shipping outside the U.S.

I've often thought that myself.

But why is it that folks get upset when the Motorcycle says Harley, but is made overseas, yet never bat an eye when the T-shirt that says Harley is also made overseas? Same with the leathers, boots, sunglasses and all that?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:42:26 PM by Ironhorse »

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2018, 01:36:27 PM »

Considering the way this thread has turned of late, maybe it's time for somebody to manufacture a Democrat oil & somebody else manufacture a Republican oil.  Then we could argue over which oil is better & why, forever, until it's written on our tombstones about what great oil arguers we were. 

Of course if one or both of those oils was imported, or an oil company moved it's operations to a country outside the USA, then we would have a whole new set of arguments.

Did you steal this from the Humor thread? $399/quart.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »

I've often thought that myself.

But why is folks get upset when the Motorcycle says Harley, but is made overseas, yet never bat an eye when the T-shirt that says Harley is also made overseas? Same with the leathers, boots, sunglasses and all that?

Yea I have wondered the same and even ask those that scream "Harley MADE IN AMERICA" the loudest.

To their credit, most are aware of that, and most will tell you they won't by that overseas stuff (coats, gloves, etc) for the same reason.

I can respect that.

It's the guy who rides a Harley dressed in 100% made in Indonesia Harley garb who sneers down his nose at any brand X motorcycle as if "shame on the owner" then rides it home and parks it in the garage next to his Toyota Tundra, and Nissan Altima. 
That guy makes me smile and scratch my head. 
Not judging, just find it entertaining.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2018, 02:28:36 PM »

Did you steal this from the Humor thread? $399/quart.

Funny oil is a bargain at any price, essentially.  In truth, had just read this article from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/2018/06/28/harley-davidsons-classic-americana-foreign-sourced-parts/741163002/
on what Harley parts are sourced from which countries.  HD, much like USA auto industry is ASSEMBLED in the USA, with some components manufactured here & many manufactured elsewhere.  My heart does not choose to bleed over this moving to Europe deal, since.......these horses left the barn years ago & trying to close the barn door now has nothing to do with getting them back, just means you need to turn on a light.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.