Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: JL Audio Amp Mounting on Stock Stereo  (Read 5317 times)

gsharley

• Hele On

• CVO1: 2010 Screamin Eagle Street Glide - Candy Concord
JL Audio Amp Mounting on Stock Stereo
« on: September 13, 2010, 01:24:04 AM »

I am looking to purchase a JL Audio amp for my bike and mount on top of the factory stereo in the fairing.

My question is, what is the largest amp you can mount on top the factory stereo? what are width, diameter and depth of surface to mount an amp?

I was debating on the JL Audio 2 channel or 4 channel amp, the latter for future power for additional speakers, I do not want to lose bag space...

Also, can you run the wires for the amp without removing the gas tank? via snaking the wires through the channel on the frame?

Any feedback or experience would be appreciated.

GSHarley

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:22:30 AM by JCZ »

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
Re: JL Audio Amp Mounting on Stock Stereo
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:56:56 AM »

Have you physically seen a jl audio amp ? Unless they are making a VERY small one now there is No way it gonna fit.
a.k.a  Dent Dude

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »

Can't give you a max dimension.  When I was considering an automotive amp for my '04 EG I did some research on the dimensions of the popular EG/SG amps (Hawg-wired, Hogtunes, Arc 125.2 and 125.4, Bazooka come to mind); the idea being an auto amp of the same dimensions would fit.  Ended up installing the Arc 125.2.  You've probably done the same thing.

In the absence of a definitive answer, you could fab out of stiff cardboard a mock-up of the amp you are considering and see if it will fit. 

Last week I spoke to customer service at Arc because I was interested in fitting the 125.4 amp (125W X 4 channel) because I would like a 4-channel amp (fairing and fairing lowers speakers) and was surprised to learn that it is too tall/deep to install.  You might check the dimensions on the 125.4 to provide you with height/depth dimensions that, according to the Arc rep, won't work.  Incidentally, the owner of Arc has a Street Glide and is interested in developing additionals audio products for our bikes.

You might also consider the in-fairing amp used in the 2011 SESG2, p/n 77041-11.

Carl

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »

FWIW I just purchases the JL Audio XD 400/4. It's could probably fit in the fairing but mine is going in the saddle bag. It is very small, about the same size as the ARC 125.4. I know the 125.4 will fit in the fairing as Gordy is using that amp in his fairing.

ruiner73

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:13:34 PM »

Tried a JL XD 200/2, the smallest one they have I believe, on my 2011 Street Glide, it wouldn't fit, close...but I couldn't get the fairing back on. My car audio guys rep said it would fit but I proved him wrong. I moved my iPod under the HK stereo, removed the 'L' bracket on top the HK radio that the iPod unit & stock amp slip into for mounting, ground the backs of the gauges off (the mounting brackets), I'm pretty sure I had it as low and as far back in the fairing as possible without moving the gauges & the amp was still a little tall & was hitting the fairing. Ended up using the ARC 125.2 BX no problem.
Also, I would just pull the tank off to run power, there are a lot of wires in there to be snaking around, doesn't take long, my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:15:11 PM by ruiner73 »
2011 CVO Streetglide, 124" Axtell, D&D exhaust, T-Man Cams, Baisley heads, 30T pulley & TTS tuner, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Alpine w/Hawg-Wired & Focals

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 12:35:59 PM »

I haven't seen in the fairing of anything other than the road glide so I don't know what room there would be in a street glide. In my SERG I have added two more speakers, three Hawg wired amps (Their 4 in your face system) and there is still limited room if I wanted to be creative.

Here is the link to Gordy's set up. It shows the 125.4 tucked under a glove box, the JL amp "should" be able to fit here, Road Glide only though.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=47523.0
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:37:41 PM by bribe36 »

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 25 queries.