CVO Social > Rider Down

Today was unfortunately my turn...

(1/4) > >>

killjoy:
I was on my way to meet some friends for a nice Saturday morning ride, when the person in front of me cut me off, sending me off the road and on to the shoulder. The momentum of the evasive action, coupled with the loose gravel and sand on the shoulder swept the bike out from under me before I could do anything to save it. Thankfully, I was only doing about 35 when the wipeout occured, so it is nothing like the real tradegies preceding this post, but I am seeking counsel of those who have "been there, done that".

I have quite nasty road rash (from the bounce along the shoulder before ending up in the median strip) covering both arms, one hand, one leg and my forehead (did it have to be the forehead?). But thankfully that is all.

While the scrubbing of asphalt and shredded leather from the wounds was the worst, between replaying it over and over in my head I am wondering what should I do next? Should I go to a chiropractor? Is there any tried and true home remedies to ease the pain and potential scarring of roadrash (besides wearing a leather coat before the crash!)? Have any of you been in this sad and bloody-bandaged place and might have some advice?

Thanks...

Twolanerider:

--- Quote ---I was on my way to meet some friends for a nice Saturday morning ride, when the person in front of me cut me off, sending me off the road and on to the shoulder. The momentum of the evasive action, coupled with the loose gravel and sand on the shoulder swept the bike out from under me before I could do anything to save it. Thankfully, I was only doing about 35 when the wipeout occured, so it is nothing like the real tradegies preceding this post, but I am seeking counsel of those who have "been there, done that".

I have quite nasty road rash (from the bounce along the shoulder before ending up in the median strip) covering both arms, one hand, one leg and my forehead (did it have to be the forehead?). But thankfully that is all.

While the scrubbing of asphalt and shredded leather from the wounds was the worst, between replaying it over and over in my head I am wondering what should I do next? Should I go to a chiropractor? Is there any tried and true home remedies to ease the pain and potential scarring of roadrash (besides wearing a leather coat before the crash!)? Have any of you been in this sad and bloody-bandaged place and might have some advice?

Thanks...
--- End quote ---

You walked away from it Killjoy.  That's all the solace anyone should ever need.  Heal the scars?  You're forgetting one of the great movie taglines of all time:

Pain heals.  Chicks dig scars.  Glory is forever.

And believe me, walking away from it is glorious.  Congrats and feel better tomorrow!

spydglide:
Hey Killjoy.....sorry to hear you crashed your scoot.  TwoLane is so right even though right now you're hurting and it's hard to see the glass half full view of the mishap.  Roadrash hurts, plain and simple, but just glad you didn't lose teeth/eyes/ and other things that don't grow back.......hang in there, fix the scoot, and let us hear how you're doing.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  spyder

Fired00d:
killjoy,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Can't offer any remedies for your injuries other then do what the doctor's tell you. Get well and back in the wind soon.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

sadunbar:
Very sorry to hear of your accident.  Happens fast doesn't it?  Most important is to keep your wounds clean and as much as you will want to, don't pick at the scabs when the time comes.  Picking at the scabs will contribute to scars.  Did you see a doctor?  You will hurt like hell for a couple of days, but your doctor can help with that. You will be stiff as hell tomorrow, but then it starts to get better.  How's the ride - or don't you want to think about that yet?

good luck and be patient - it'll get better...

sadunbar

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version