Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: cam chain tensioner shoes  (Read 12997 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re:  cam chain tensioner shoes
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 09:46:50 PM »

What's up hoist?? Man your 80 inch was runnin' pretty good....my 86'(pictured) has an s&s 93 inch motor,,jims oil  pump,jims roller rockers,jims hydrosolids in jims tappet blocks..branch heads  & lienweber cam,,and with no wheelie bars I was running 12 flat at the track ..almost had my 11 sec ticket..gave up at the track a long time ago though...she's just a street beater now!! ...

Thanks man. I'm running Sifton cams in my Evo's. I was thrilled when I broke 13. 12.92! I also built a 89" Evo Pro Street with S&S stroker flywheels, a bigger Sifton cam, HD Barrelsw/ S&S stroker pistons, and ported HD Heads. It's only about 425 lbs. I built that to get into the 11's. Never got the chance. They closed the track around here and it's still not broken in. No VIN yet! I was hoping for the 11 second club too! We should get together and ride some time. We're not too far away. Hope you make it to the York trip. ;) Hoist! 8-)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:48:14 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 11:21:01 AM »

I'm game for a ride anytime Hoist,,I will be in York to meet some of you fella's,,but it will be a 1 dayer,,,ride out in the am and head home at the end of  the day...I will let you know when my next NYC ride is.....Thinkn about a ride through Vermont on a long weekend before I go cross country this summer...take care ,,Headpan
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 07:16:31 PM »

I'm game for a ride anytime Hoist,,I will be in York to meet some of you fella's,,but it will be a 1 dayer,,,ride out in the am and head home at the end of  the day...I will let you know when my next NYC ride is.....Thinkn about a ride through Vermont on a long weekend before I go cross country this summer...take care ,,Headpan

Looking forward to it. PM or e-mail me when you're coming up. I'l try to work around it. We should probably put this thread back on track now! Later! ;) Hoist! 8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Re: cam chain tensioner shoes
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 10:13:15 PM »

Headpan,
Did you also check the oil pump for damage (scoring, etc.) when you changed out the tensioners ? On my RG I just inspected or changed out the tensioners every 15-20K and it was worth the peace of mind. Service manager said that they had some luck changing out the chain to a different type, meaning that was the issue not the tensioner material. Not compatible for the long haul.

Next time it's opened up, maybe replace the oil pump with a Feuling?

:drink:
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 09:07:41 PM »

I posted this twice in other places. If you let these suckers go till they eat up your cams you get the whole deal replaced free under your ESP including the newer 06 hydraulic tensioners and new cams  They give you nothing for worn ones.

Guess nobody was reading my posts

B B

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 10:25:28 PM »

it was all covered under the esp....no hydrolic tensioners or new cams...I asked the service manager if there was an upgrade and he said nope,,,same old tensioner shoes..they did drop the oil pan and check the pump(guess they could not find all the pieces.......so did I get ripped?? should I had recieved the(hydrolic tensioners and new cams??)....confused!!
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 11:59:13 PM »

You don't have to drop the pan to check the oil  pump. When removing the covers to inspect or change out the tensioners and cam plate, the oil pump is right there. I'd specifically ask if the inspected the oil pump for signs or wear or scoring of the surfaces, etc.
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 12:07:47 AM »

oh, I know where the oil pump is,,just letting everyone know what they did at the dealership...as I said I believe they were looking for all the pieces of the shoes,,that was the reason for dropping the oil tank...they did say everything looked fine with the pump..(they know me pretty well,,if it needed it,,I trust it would hed been replaced)..still curious about this hydrolic tensioner unit spyder was talking about,,,  and its pros and cons next to the gear drive(which is what I will install next time around unless I like the hydrolic upgrade spyder was disscussing)
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 01:34:18 AM »

oh, I know where the oil pump is,,just letting everyone know what they did at the dealership...as I said I believe they were looking for all the pieces of the shoes,,that was the reason for dropping the oil tank...they did say everything looked fine with the pump..(they know me pretty well,,if it needed it,,I trust it would hed been replaced)..still curious about this hydrolic tensioner unit spyder was talking about,,,  and its pros and cons next to the gear drive(which is what I will install next time around unless I like the hydrolic upgrade spyder was disscussing)

Don't worry about not being treated correctly.  You didn't get screwed for not getting the extras.  Warranty or service contract repair requires them to return it to a correctly repaired functional state.  You caught it early so they had less they had to do.  Nothing more nor less than that.  If the failing parts had progressed to the point that the tensioners grenaded there would have been much more damage; and they'd have been obligated to replace much more (perhaps including the upgrades depending on what they could be talked in to).

It's a bit of a catch 22.  If you want them to replace a LOT under warranty you have to ride it to the point that a LOT has broken.  But be judicious, careful and catch it early and you've saved yourself a much worse failure and them a much larger job.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 10:28:45 PM »

I rode Elvis till I could hear the cam chain grinding and feel a big loss of power. As mentioned, I had asked before doing this if I would be good to go on my warranty if I did. Everything was shot to hell and San Diego H-D replaced the whole works as promised including the hydraulic tensioner upgrade which the MoCo covered.

I've said this before. Warranty service is a factor of how much effort your dealer is willing to put into it. San Diego H-D has always had a dedicated warranty coordinator. I've heard my share of bitching about other areas of the dealership, done some myself, but I've never heard anyone complain about warranty coverage. Not to say that the actual work being done was perfect. Beagle can tell you about that, BUT, they do work hard to make sure you get what expected when you bought the ESP. You need to establish this up front by talking to people who have bought bikes from different dealerships in your area. Make sure you ask a bunch of different people. Beags would say and I can't argue that I get specal treatment at San Diego H-D because I spend time hanging out with the owner and am friends with the managers. To that I say yes and no. Yes I do that, but no I don't think I'm anything to any of these people except a good customer.

B B

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 12:11:58 PM »

yeah ,I went to my Bro at the dealership and asked about this (hydrolic tensioner & cam upgrade) and he knows nothing..he said there was a cam plate upgrade a few years back,but that was it....he then went into an 2007 catalog and found in 07'.. all part #s were different in the(tensioner/cam )area..is that the upgrade you were talking about??..or are these guys I know real slow? ..or am I missing something....I thought these guys were up to par on service bullitins and all......but again..clueless they were about anything......can you fellas help out a confused brutha??headpan
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 01:06:30 PM »

yeah ,I went to my Bro at the dealership and asked about this (hydrolic tensioner & cam upgrade) and he knows nothing..he said there was a cam plate upgrade a few years back,but that was it....he then went into an 2007 catalog and found in 07'.. all part #s were different in the(tensioner/cam )area..is that the upgrade you were talking about??..or are these guys I know real slow? ..or am I missing something....I thought these guys were up to par on service bullitins and all......but again..clueless they were about anything......can you fellas help out a confused brutha??headpan

Hey HP. with all the problems with the original tensioner syatem, HD changed the design on the '07s. The new "hydraulic" tensioner system is suppose to be better than the original system. Why they just didn't change to gears, I'll never know, The jury's still out on whether this system is better than the original, but the gears have to be the most reliable. It irks me when we know more than the dealers though. Doesn't give me much confidence in them at all! ;) Hoist! 8)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 02:11:14 PM »

I agree with Fired00d on the first page, GEARS! The tensioners may last 15,000 miles or more, but heard of them going with as little as 7,000!! Plus better cam timing with gears, especially after some miles. Besides just from a piece of mind, hate to be some where far from home and have one disintegrate!! I haven't upgraded cams yet, but I'll go gears! 

:soapbox:

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007, 06:22:07 PM »

Thanks fella's for the reply's....It will be gear drives next time around for sure...I asume the new hydraloic set up will take a few years to find if their any more reliable then the origional set-up...till then still looking for a low mileige 1998 road glide....last year evo.....no tesioner issues and no motor noise.....why mess with a good thing!!!...ride-on headpan
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2007, 06:37:04 PM »

Hey HP. with all the problems with the original tensioner syatem, HD changed the design on the '07s. The new "hydraulic" tensioner system is suppose to be better than the original system. Why they just didn't change to gears, I'll never know, The jury's still out on whether this system is better than the original, but the gears have to be the most reliable. It irks me when we know more than the dealers though. Doesn't give me much confidence in them at all! ;) Hoist! 8)

Actually this change took place on the 06 Dyna models.

B B
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.