Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: $$$$ for a 09 Glide?????  (Read 1552 times)

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
$$$$ for a 09 Glide?????
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:49:48 PM »

found an 09 Glide today,is msrp plus tax tag and 900 doc a good deal ??????   may trade the springer on the glide

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: $$$$ for a 09 Glide?????
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:29:32 PM »

Don't know your state laws and rules but IMO a $900 doc fee is obscene.

Best I remember, most here have paid msrp + tax & title or a little over.

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SERK Anniversary Model
    • CVO2: 09 SERG "Silver"
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »

I agree with Screamin, anything over msrp + tax and title is too much.

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 / SERK
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:13:14 PM »

So... being one of those that overpaid, I feel like I have to throw my story out there...

I didn't experience my SERK until very late in the model year via Harley Demo Days opportunities.  Within a mile of riding it I knew I had to have it.  The problem was that almost all of them were gone by that time - at least the color that I wanted.  I called no less than 25 dealers trying to find that bike with no luck then came across a dealer that was "supposed to get one" in the next few weeks.  I was nervous to put money down because I wanted to keep trying to find one that was guaranteed.  I didn't want to pass one up and then find out that the one I put money on wasn't going to get built after all.

Anyway... the bottom line is that I REALLY wanted that bike.  I knew it, the dealer knew it, my wife knew it, my kids knew it... well, you get the picture...

Fortunately for me I did put money down on it, it did come in and I did indeed pay more than MSRP.  However, at the end of the day I have what I wanted and I haven't regretted it for a minute.  Riding that bike is my stress relief and I'm extremely happy with it.

Now... don't think for a minute that I have forgotten about that "stealership"... they'll never get another penny out of me.  They gigged me when they could've been a stand-up company.  I made sure I commented about it on the survey that I was sent.  Their finance manager called me afterwards (I knew she would), gave me the standard "I'll make it up" baloney and never called back.

Bottom line is - at least in my opinion - go with your gut.  If you think you can find a better deal elsewhere and you have time to search certainly go for it but you're already buying a $30K plus motorcycle... money really isn't the point is it???

BTW... If you care to know who that dealership belongs to feel free to PM me and I'll share... There's more to their shenanigans that what I've put in this message.   I'm not here to slander anyone because everyone has different experiences so I won't publish it here but I certainly wouldn't want someone to go through what I went through with them...

Ride On

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 / SERK
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »

One little clarification... my comment was meant to address the $900 doc fee primarily...  I just saw another thread here where the same "stealership" / owner I referenced, albeit in a differnt location, was trying to charge $14K over MSRP.  Now that, my friends, is NOT what I was suggesting to be "ok"... even I would have had to pass on my SERK anywhere near that markup...

Ride On

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:30:08 PM »

Skippy, I have no idea if a $900 doc fee is reasonable or not. What do other dealers in your area typically charge for doc fees? If the dealer is out of line with practices in your part of the state or country, then I'd call their bluff. On the other hand, if that's typical of other dealerships, then they're probably not gonna budge. In the end, it only matters whether you are willing to pay that price or not. While I believe it's smart to ask around about what other people think, you have to decide for yourself whether or not its good for you.

Majorrocky, you make an excellent point. If the buyer and the seller are both happy with the transaction, then it's a good transaction. Some folks aren't happy unless they get a discount. Some don't mind paying extra to get what they want. The rest fall somewhere in between.

I got my Silver Bullet for MSRP + tax & title and a $650 doc fee!!! Every dealership in the area (all 6? 7? 8? 9? of them?) charges a doc fee except maybe one. The bottom line was, I had talked to every one of them multiple times and none of them had a Silver Bullet available except the dealer where I purchased mine. Every other one was pre-sold earlier in the year.

I had a chance to buy a Yellow/Charcoal SERG the week after I put the deposit on the Silver Bullet. I walked into a dealership where the deal on a presold SERG fell through the day before because the buyer couldn't get financing. They wanted to sell the bike badly enough that they offered me a discount of MSRP and a good deal on my trade. In the end, I wanted a Silver Bullet. Just had to have a Silver Bullet.

So, I paid MSRP, tax, title and a doc fee to get what I wanted. I don't think that makes me (or you, Marjorrocky) any better or worse than anyone else, just a little different maybe. I am satisfied with the deal I got and, ultimately, that's what really matters.

Now, to be clear, I am just as appalled as others seem to be at $44,995 for an '09 SERG. Unless it's loaded with extras, that's not a price I'd be willing to pay. On the other hand, there might be someone out there who wants one badly enough to pay that price and still be happy they got it. Good for them and the dealer that sold it to them.

Rock On!

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.