Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yaffe monkey bars  (Read 1394 times)

DBHWT

• Full CVO Member
Yaffe monkey bars
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:57:14 PM »

How high can you go without having to change any wiring or brake lines ?   Thnks

ROADROD

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 street glide
    • CVO2: 2006 v-rod yellow
    • CVO3: 2003 silver/black harley truck
Re: Yaffe monkey bars
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:05:10 PM »

i think you can go up to a 12

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Stardust Silver & Platinum Dust FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »

10" is the max you can go with the OEM's.  If you wana do it right order the 12"s the factory spaghetti is plenty long enough to pull Threw and just change out your lines no cuttin and soldering!  Don't bother with the supper size kit either.  Get your own fittings, lines, shrink tubing and fluids. You'll be better off.  Check the finish of the bars right at the dealer or if you order direct the day they arrive for flaws.  Wish I did left them wrapped up till the end of last years winter project list and found two rings in the chrome!  Use 45 degree banjos at the controls to help the lines flow better with the lines of the bars.  The kit comes with straight banjos"which look dumb", and a full wiring kit which you don't need and get a set of gooden tight bushings even tho the people that make the bars don't recommend that you need them.  Thats the way to do it, and you'll be mint and save a couple hundred in parts and three or four in labor.  Thats a new set of cams and a good tune think about that.       

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:37:04 PM »

10" is the max you can go with the OEM's.  If you wana do it right order the 12"s the factory spaghetti is plenty long enough to pull Threw and just change out your lines no cuttin and soldering!  Don't bother with the supper size kit either.  Get your own fittings, lines, shrink tubing and fluids. You'll be better off.  Check the finish of the bars right at the dealer or if you order direct the day they arrive for flaws.  Wish I did left them wrapped up till the end of last years winter project list and found two rings in the chrome!  Use 45 degree banjos at the controls to help the lines flow better with the lines of the bars.  The kit comes with straight banjos"which look dumb", and a full wiring kit which you don't need and get a set of gooden tight bushings even tho the people that make the bars don't recommend that you need them.  Thats the way to do it, and you'll be mint and save a couple hundred in parts and three or four in labor.  Thats a new set of cams and a good tune think about that.       

Well, I am sure this is all good advice for those who don't mind putting in twice as much time as the dealer to save some money. I have been thinking about getting 12 or 13 inches apes or monkeys for my bike. I know it's going to take the dealer some time to figure all this out and probably a solid day of labor. That means it would probably take me two days solid at a minimum. That's 16 hours in the evenings and on weekends when I could be riding. Not my thing.

Also, please enlighten me with some of the terms you are using such as 45 degree banjos versus straight banjos. Huh? I have a friend who plays a banjo but didn't recognize it on my bike. Is that the real name for a part or some slang? Can you identify the part, perhaps both 45 and straight version.

A sincere thanks,
DesertHOG

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:24:10 AM »

technical term for the fittings on the end of hydraulic lines see image below for reference

a straight banjo will make the brake or clutch line come straight down from the reservoir a 45o will have the line closer to the bars depending on how your run your lines a 90o may also work for you
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:26:46 AM by naitram »
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Road_Glider

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »

My dealer put on my 10" and they made me purchase a plus 2" clutch cable as part of the deal.

They look cool though.

*Orange and BLack '09 Road Glide w/103

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.