Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Compensator noise  (Read 1700 times)

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Compensator noise
« on: September 16, 2019, 02:02:38 PM »

Ok guys I have a friend with an 08 Ultra with what appears to be compensator noise on start up only. If in fact it is and not just the bolt being loose, would you replace it with an SE compensator or aftermarket? Has anyone just replaced the bolt?

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
Re: Compensator noise
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 02:42:43 PM »

FWIW, if the compensator was installed correctly initially the bolt did not come loose.  The action of starting the bike would be trying to further tighten the bolt.  Make sure that the chain is adjusted properly.   

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »

So there is a difference between start up Comp. noise and running Comp. noise?

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 04:49:12 PM »

Not what I'm making reference to.  What I meant to say is that during the normal course of the engine running, the bolt will not loosen.  The rotational torque being applied will be trying to tighten the bolt.  Now I typically hear the compensator more (if worn) when starting the bike.  That kickback is a giveaway.

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 06:13:25 PM »

Generally replacing the compensator assembly is the fix.  Latest MoCo seems as good as anything.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 01:08:44 PM »

Classic compensator noises are a kick back at start up and a clunk when shutting down, if its very bad you will get a constant clunking sound (but not as loud as the shut down noise) while running at idle.

The latest version (there have  been 5 or 6) seems the best HD has offered to date, although I still believe the use of the "Compensaver" oil delivery tray makes it a much better option.
WHUFC   COYI

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 02:41:48 PM »

I will be digging into the bike soon. Sounds like installing a new SE compensator is a good possibility.
What does the oil delivery tray do? Is the compensator getting dry and not getting enough oil lube?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 03:57:09 PM »

I will be digging into the bike soon. Sounds like installing a new SE compensator is a good possibility.
What does the oil delivery tray do? Is the compensator getting dry and not getting enough oil lube?

The early design didn't get enough lubrication to the sliding gear and other components.  A company called GMR came out with an aftermarket kit that had a tray that collected splash oil from the primary and directed that oil to the center of the compensator, and it was a huge improvement.  Some time later Harley came up with their version which is the plastic tray you see in the kits.  Eventually they redesigned the interior of the new primary covers to do the same thing without the plastic tray.  When you buy the parts you will need to also buy the epoxy that's used to install the plastic tray (doesn't come in the kit).  Since the 2008 model came with the old original style compensator that has the spring pack attached to the rotor, you will also need the later model rotor.  One of the kits Harley sells comes with the new style rotor, it's part number 40100061 .

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 05:58:52 PM »

Although its not available at the moment, check out the Compensaver.com website , its good read, I followed the two guys who designed the system, they even offered there design to Harley but they were not interested, funny how there so called fix is similar?

The tray is far more efficient than the scoop that Harley came out with, it not only supplies a larger quantity of oil to the centre of the compensator, and it also has a large heavy duty earth magnet to take out any metal flakes that are caused by the operation of the compensator, plus a very effective "thrust Washer" .

Have one of the first batch about 5 years ago, don`t do very high mileage but 15-16K with no signs of wear or nasty noises.
WHUFC   COYI

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 03:54:19 PM »

Good stuff. I also watched a video that "Doc Harley" from Low Country HD on compensators. More educated now.
Thanks again....

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 10:04:49 AM »

So far I still have the first revision in my 07 fingers crossed. About 30k on it.

masiman

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 09:27:26 PM »

When was the redesign for the primary cover that deleted the need for the tray when replacing the compensator? I recently had mine replaced on my 2011.5 cvo ultra classic and didn’t see an adhesive kit on the bill. Masi

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 01:05:27 AM »

Just had mine replaced last week along with the chain tensioner.  Seems more quiet. Gotta love the ESP plan.  ;D

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 03:43:27 PM »

So I guess a good question would be what is wearing out here?  Is metal being ground away and creating slop?

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 25 queries.