Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Feedback on rear fender idea for FXSTSSE3  (Read 9037 times)

Quiet Pro

• Live Free & Ride Hard

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3, Black Diamond & Emerald Flames
Feedback on rear fender idea for FXSTSSE3
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:07:53 AM »

I'm looking at changing out the bobtail fender on my FXSTSSE3 for a fender similar to those on the H-D Rockers.  I really want to expose and show off that fat 240.  I've been looking at kits from HEARTLAND USA and from what they are telling me the Rocker kits should fit my bike since the frames and rear tires are the same.  Now the only problems are finding someone that can finish the fender with the same grinded metal look and green flames to match the tank and front fender and get a custom seat made, maybe even a bobber.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Concerns?  Advice?
I'm located in NC, USA, so if anyone knows anyone good to get this kind off work done please let me know.  Thanks.
2009 FXSTSSE3
V & H Big Radius 2-in-2 Pipes
Power Commander

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
Re: Feedback on rear fender idea for FXSTSSE3
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 05:54:32 PM »

That sounds pretty cool! :2vrolijk_21:

Looking forward to the pics! :bananarock:

2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

hogtale

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »

hi
i'm waiting for my new cvo springer.i wanted this bike mainly for the 110 ci engine and for the springer fork,but i'm not really fan of the fat 240 and the ducktail rear fender. so i 've thought your idea  of a rocker c kit from heartland very interesting,and just for fun,i've played a little with my pc in order to see what could be the result.look at this pic and hope you'll enjoy

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 03:35:42 PM »

Quiet Pro

• Live Free & Ride Hard

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »

Thanks for the virtual rendering of the springer with the rocker rear.  That is the look I was hoping for.  Just need to find a badass paint shop to replicate the custom springer paint job.  Also, thanks for the link to the pics of the actual kit on the springer.  I think that I'm going to go with a bit of a shorter fender than that guy had, just to show off the tire a bit more.  Now I need to find a light relocation kit for the turn signals, in addition to the rear light bar.  I guess I'll have to find a kit that does everything:  turn, brake and running.  I wonder if the existing kit can be modified and mounted to the new fender/struts?  I guess I'll have to move the license plate too.  From what I've heard, it's been a major challenge to find a license plate kit that fits on the '09 springer.  Thanks again for the advice and keep it coming. 
2009 FXSTSSE3
Power Commander

J.P.

• Black is the new chrome

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3,
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 08:13:32 AM »

Absolutely, rocker fender mounts right up, and they are all over ebay 4cheap! Because it is mounted on the swingarm, there is a gap behind the rear seat, that is why they are all over ebay for cheap! every one is going with the heartland kits. I just used a springer saddlle, and made a new harness for the rear. same indicators, although I switched the Dual filament bulbs from the front, to the back. for run, stop turn. And mounted and inexpensive sparto tailight/plate holder on the fender. Good luck on the paint though. Ill prob stick it black. Wish I could help w/ some pics, but Im laid up with a broke leg, and cant get to her. Soon enough. Good job with the photoshop stuff, wish I could do that. although those pipes are history after the first right hander. Ha :oops:

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 11:32:50 AM »

So J.P how did you break your leg ?? I hope that you get well soon. It nice riding weather. I know it has to be hard on you. I am stuck out on a Oil Rig in Mexico for another week and a half. I can't wait to get home and gets some riding inn. Hope to see your pictures soon.. Get well.......Jeff

Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

J.P.

• Black is the new chrome

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3,
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 03:30:10 AM »

Hey, thanks for the reply, concern, jeff. Bonehead answer of the year, right here, I was riding out to meet up w/ some bro's, after workin an all nighter to get the above mentioned mods completed, when somehow my heel, or foot touched the deck, bounced around a bit while I did alot of dancin with the center divider but ultimately avoided goin down. good thing, cuz I was on the freeway, and nowhere near 65mph. It was pretty knar. Broke everything, all toes, foot, tib and fib shattered. 2full length steel rods from my knee to ankle, plates on my foot, and above ankle, alot of hardware,pins,shims,ect. and ill be good as new. I expect to be dancing on my wedding day Aug.1st. Riding sooner than that. Bike has not a scratch on it. Sorry no pics yet. But Ill most certainly get em up, they are worth checkin out. Ive broken alot of bones, but this takes the cake. surgeons these days, they did amazing work.  :jack: sorry to venture off topic.

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 08:26:23 AM »

Man ....I know that got your attention when that happened. I feel your pain. I hair line fractured my left leg. It was in a cast. Two days before I was to get it off I was out drinking with friends. It was raining and I was hopping on the one good leg and messed a curb. Just say for the next week I crawled everywhere in my house. I ended up cutting the cast off myself with tin snips. I guess I was too embarrassed. Did you happen to see the article in June American Iron. They took a 05 Softail and installed a Heartland swingarm and finder kit on it. It was a good piece. Anyway you take care....Jeff

Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

LoneCustom

• Junior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride!

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Glide in Crystal Citron
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »

From what I understand, the metal grind paint job on the Springer is a very involved, multi-step process.  I don't doubt that someone out there can replicate it (or come close, anyway).  I though that I read somewhere that the CVO paint jobs are actually done by one of two outside firms to H-D's specs.  I guess you could try to track one of them down (sorry, I'm trying to remember where I read the info).  If I come across it, I'll let you know.  Good luck with the mod, though - it'll look great!

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 05:02:11 PM »

I know a guy that can match to the SE paint jobs. He has repaired SE bikes already. He does great work. He personally did my 01 Road King. He also does Lake Charles Harley Davidsons custom work.  Let me know and I will get you his name, website.
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

Quiet Pro

• Live Free & Ride Hard

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 08:31:21 PM »

Yeah, I've also heard about the 2 different paint shops that do the custom work for the CVO bikes.  I think that I heard it on a video review of the 09 FXSTSSE3.  I may try to contact H-D HQ and see if I can get it done by the actual paint CVO paint shops.  However, I'm not above shopping this around along as the quality and price are good.  Let me know the guys name and contact info and I'll talk to him to see if he thinks he can replicate it and also how much something like that would cost.  I appreciate the input and advice.  Now the next challenge;  finding a company that can make a badass custom seat for it.  Nobody seems to have the seat pattern/pan for the FXSTSSE3 except sundowner and that won't fit with the new fender design.
2009 FXSTSSE3
Power Commander

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 08:35:37 PM »

This guy is not close, but several members here have used him and he's matched the CVO paint...

Paint By Gene

Auburn, Washington
PHONE: (253) 874-5073

E-mail: info@paintbygene.com

http://www.paintbygene.com/

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 09:48:45 PM »

Uncle Pauly, This guy is good. I seen some work that he did on an 08 SE for Lake Charles Harley Davidson with the grind and paint set up. His name is Andre and his shop is called Excess Paint. You can email him at Andre@excesspaint.com. Like I said he painted my 01 Road King. I went with the nostalgic look on it. I could not be any happier with the way it turned out. He has people ship parts to him and works that way too. He is very repeatable. Tell him that Jeff told you about him....Take care
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

hogtale

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »

hi
i have found today that alternative to  get another rear fender for rocker,and if it fits  for Rocker,it will fit for fxstsse3.it's a rear fender kit made by Rick's motorcycles ,in Germany.hope you'll enjoy.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 26 queries.