Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38

Author Topic: "FXR CHATTER"  (Read 118592 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
"FXR CHATTER"
« on: November 03, 2008, 01:50:18 PM »

HELLO ALL FXR "CVO" OWNERS AS WELL AS 1982-1994 FXR MODEL OWNERS:

Hey everyone, have been pondering this for awhile and thought that having a "THREAD" that would serve to introduce all of us FXR Owners to one another in one specific "Thread" might be beneficial. 

My hope is that all of us FXR Owners who currently communicate here will become more acquainted with one another as well as new people who may visit this FXR Section of the CVO site.  Perhaps via this "journey" there may be found a "beginning" that we all might further enhance our experiences as we become more acquainted with one another.

I am hopeful that ALL FXR Owners will feel comfortable participating regardless of whether one is a "CVO" FXR Owner or a FXR Model Owner from 1982-1994.

One of the ways of course to learn about others here is to either privately e~mail or to learn about others via the "texting" that is done within the scope of our addressing one another's questions or needs for assistance here within the FXR SECTION but hopefully by doing something like this perhaps we can further enhance each others experiences.

SO here is what I thought might be the theme of this "Thread" initially for each of us:

1) Screen Name
2) Given Name  ie: First Name
3) Age
4) Location in the world:  ie: State
5) FXR Model Owned
6) Paragraph about how long you have owned your FXR and how you decided to purchase one,
(for some of you this will be easy since recently you have already answered this under a different "THREAD", but that's ok,.......lol just cut and paste.
7) What "major" modifications have been done to your bike.

Other than the above 7 items listed, there are no parameters.....this will I am sure take on a life of it's own.....perhaps what will come out of this is the beginning of a "network" of guys and gals that are passionate about FXR's and have a lot of fun talking about them beyond the "parts" and "technical support" we all benefit from here already.  Basically I am hopeful this "THREAD" will enhance our return to this great site with regularity regardless of whether we find ourselves with questions about modifications or tech support related topics.

Once you have completed your "introduction" of yourself....let's use this "Thread" as a means of keeping some "general" dialogue between us, thus whatever suits your fantasy.....thus the "CHATTER" Theme!

Also if there is any other information any of you feel or think should be here write it down and we can all add appropriately.....

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:35:46 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
Re: "FXR CHATTER"
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 01:50:39 PM »

Being Left Open In Case Anything Further Needs To Be Shared.....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:59:46 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 01:51:08 PM »

1) Screen Name: FXR2evo99   
2) Given Name:   Tim
3) Age:                  50
4) Location in the world:     Colorado
5) FXR Model Owned         1999 FXR2 Arresting Red
6) Paragraph about how long you have owned your FXR and how you decided to purchase one, (for some of you this will be easy since you already answered....lol just cut and paste.

Purchased My 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red bike on May 21st 2005 at the time it had 5,442 miles.  I originally became interested in FXR's after a friend began sharing about the FXR model in general terms, he then began sending me photos of different bikes and then he finally purchased a 1999 FXR3 in July of 2004.  During the fall of 2004 we went out for a ride and I rode his FXR3 for about 20 minutes, and really felt the "wow" factor of the ride.  In February of 2005 I started my search for an FXR2, FXR3, or FXR4.  After much debate with myself about which features I liked the best on the different models I finally reached the conclusion that I wanted to own an Arresting Red FXR2.  After 90 days of formal searching and negotiating on several different Arresting Red FXR2's I finally located the one I purchased in Gillette, Wyoming. 

7) What "major" modifications have been done to my bike:

1)  Front Wheel/Tire Modification From 21" to 19"
2)  Front FXR2 Fender Replaced With Front FXR3 "Primed Only" Fender And Painted To Arresting Red
3)  Front Brake Caliper Change From OEM Stock To Performance Machine (PM) Chrome 4 Piston Caliper
4)  Addition Of A Set Of FXRS-CONV Leather Saddlebags W/Relocation Of Rear Turn Signals
5)  Modified OEM Handlebars Over to A Flanders Bad boy Bar F5 W/ Throttle & Idle Cables, And A Extension Of A Stainless Steel Brake Line
6)  OEM Exhaust System Modified To Vance & Hines 2 Into 1 Pro Pipe
7)  FXR2 Seat Changed Over To FXR3 Seat
8 )  Modified OEM Cam to a Crane V~Thunder 3010 Cam
9)  Evolution 1340 High Flow Air Cleaner W/Filter
10) Custom Cycle Engineering Chrome Fork Truss/Brace
11) Luggage Rack W/ Sissy Bar Set Up
12) Detachable Windshield Set Up
13) Modified Chrome Instrument Housing And Tank Trim Pannel To Wrinkle Black

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:54:45 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:51:39 PM »

Here are some Modifications that I have discussed here on the board for anyone interested:

Topic: FXR2 Replacement Of 21" Front Wheel to 19" Front Wheel & Attachment Of Saddlebag
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=29535.0

Topic: 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red~~> Handle Bar & Front PM Brake Caliper Modification
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22360.0;all

Topic: Rocker box gaskets-FXR  (Great Topic On Replacement Of Rocker Cover Gaskets)
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=1049.0;all

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:59:07 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 02:02:03 PM »

Being Left Open In Case Anything Else Needs To Be Shared Later.

Hopefully this "THREAD" will remain at the top because of our continued participation by everyone as a "welcoming" to all FXR Owners.....

LET'S GET THIS STARTED INTRODUCE YOURESELF!!!

Regards,

Tim

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »

1) Screen Name FXR4MIKEY

2) Given Name  ie: Mike, good friends call me Mikey, I use both, depends on how I'm feeling that moment, you can call me Mike or Mikey :)

3) Age 61 in December

4) Location in the world:  Columbia area South Carolina

5) FXR Model Owned FXR4 Candy Tangerine  (hence the screen name with Mikey

6) Paragraph about how long you have owned your FXR and how you decided to purchase one, [/b] (for some of you this will be easy since recently you have already answered this under a different "THREAD", but that's ok,.......lol just cut and paste.
I have had my FXR4 since 2000 ............  I bought it in a blind auction at a yard sale, yep, that's right !!  it had 340 miles on it, NEW !!!
I decided to buy the FXR because of things that had been told to me about the FXR and how they handle. Couple that with I didn't want a bagger and was looking at a softtail custom at the time........ I was in Raleigh NC on a business trip and in the HD shop looking at this custom ..... my wife called me and said that her mom just called and said there's a HD in the yard sale............ I asked what kind, she said ..... I don't know, something about an FXR or something....... I was ALL OVER THAT ONE !!!  the bike was up in Michigan, I bought it over the phone   :)  I was living in KY at that time, so I rented a trailer, drove to MI, looked at what I had bought and went  :pepper:  HOT DOG BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

7) What "major" modifications have been done to your bike.
Nothing that I would say 'major' YET, that's coming in December.
So far what I've done to the bike
I put 2001 wide glide handbars on it
I swapped out the clutch, brake and throttle cables and put on braided cables
Custom saddle by Corbin, and matching sissy bar pad
V&H Straight Shots
Compu-Fire single fire ignition
Re-jeted the carb
cut the back outa the AC backing plate to get more air
quick disconnect windshield
Metzler tires, best tires I've ever run !!!!!!!!!!  they are a perfect match for my bike !

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:49:11 PM by fxr4mikey »
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

omgtkk

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 07:36:20 PM »

1) Screen Name:  OMGTKK (any South Park fans out there?)
2) Given Name:  Ken
3) Age:  52
4) Location in the world:  Collegeville, Pa
5) FXR Model Owned:  1999 FXR2 in arresting red
6) Bought the bike this past summer. I was looking at Sportsters as I wanted something lighter than my Road Glide for commuting and possible for my then girlfriend to ride.  Found the FXR on Ebay and had to have it.  My first Harley was a '91 FXR-Conv that I had to sell when I injured my back in 94 and couldn't ride.  I missed that bike and was always thinking of replacing it.  Since I bought this bike it's gotten more riding time than my Road Glide.   THe RG is a great touring bike, but nothing is a fun to ride as an FXR.  I feel bad for the newbies out there that have never gotten to ride an FXR.  This bike weighs about the same as a new sportster, but has that beautiful Evo motor.  For a lot of reasons, I almost prefer the Evo over the twin cam
7) The only modifications I have done to the bike since I got it were to remove some aftermarket parts and return it to original condition.  I took off the forward controls and replaced the mids and took off some junk aftermarket mirrors & replaced them with stock.  Right now, the only deviations from factory stock are a set of buckhorn handlebars and Screamin Eagle slip-on mufflers.  I'm going to rejet the carb to go very slightly richer as it isn't enjoying the 40 degree temps in the morning here.  Otherwise, this bike is staying bone stock for as long as I own it.
That's the bike in my avatar

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 09:00:57 PM »

Mikey:  Great acquisition story. :2vrolijk_21:

1) Screen Name:  RedFXR2
2) Given Name  ie: First Name:  Mike
3) Age:  55
4) Location in the world:  ie: State:  Florida, Jupiter area.
5) FXR Model Owned:  1999 FXR2
6) Paragraph about how long you have owned your FXR and how you decided to purchase one:  Left traffic-choked Atlanta for Raleigh, NC....much less traffic, I could actually enjoy a motorcycle again....being a British bike fan from the 1970's, I wanted a bike that would handle and also wanted a Harley.  Wasn't sure the two wishes were compatible....Read two HD books and decided on a FXR but unmolested ones were hard to find.....almost gave up and went to a indy shop to look at a Dyna and they had a red FXR2 on the floor on consignment, had only had it a couple of days.  The next day it was mine.  That was five years ago.
7) What "major" modifications have been done to your bike.: SE Heads, ignition, coil, Andrews EV27 cam, V&H StraightShots pipes, FXR3 seat and sissy bar, Chrome billet stock style front hub with stainless spokes, my own design "CVO" side covers,

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »

1) Screen Name:  FXR3Joe
2) Given Name  ie: First Name:  Joe
3) Age:  49
4) Location in the world:  ie: State:  Illonois, Chicago South suburbs
5) FXR Model Owned:  1999 FXR3 (original Owner) 18k miles
6) Paragraph about how long you have owned your FXR and how you decided to purchase one:  Was looking for a 99 Dyna Glide.  At the time Dealers were basically T-Shirt shops with hardly any bikes.  The dealer told me he had this "FXR thing" coming in that I might be intersted in.  I saw the brochure gave him $1,000 on the spot to hold it for me.  Two weeks later I rolled out with my Green FXR3.  I paid list $17,999 at the time.  A week later I was in Los Angeles on business.  Stopped into a local HD dealer.   They had 1 red FXR2 and 1 Green FXR3.  They were asking $20k for the FXR2 and the FXR3 was highest bidder with a reserve of $25k!  I have made some Minor mods below.  Nothing that couldn't be reversed if I or any future owner wanted to return to stock.  I've kept every item ever taken off of the bike as wee except for the rear tire that was replaced at around 12k. I have thought of trading the FXR3 in for a full dresser or Deluxe but I stll like the ride of my FXR better.  I have ridden it to Sturgis and back 3 times and it is just a great ride as you all know. 
7) What "major" modifications have been done to your bike.: Screaming Eagle Thunder Slide jet Kit, Sampson Rip Saw exhaust, Accutronix Forward controls, H-D Flame pattern derby cover transmission cover, H-D extended billet head light ring, H-D billet flame shift linkage

RedFXR2

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 02:35:11 PM »

5) FXR Model Owned:  1999 FXR3 (original Owner)

An original owner.  Guys, is he the only one?  Could easily be.

....  The dealer told me he had this "FXR thing" coming in that I might be intersted in. 

"FXR thing."   ::)  So apparently dealers who are clueless to FXR 's is nothing new.  Heck, in 1999 they had only been out of production for five years.  But I guess when the dealer is only concerned with next months' sales figures, at a time when they were selling anything they could roll across the showroom it's at least partially understandable. :nixweiss:

They're sales people, not enthusiasts.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:36:59 PM by RedFXR2 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »

Mikey....

Great story about your acquistion, and I hope we all get to participate in helping you with ideas about any "upcoming" projects......THANKS FOR SHARING  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken (omgtkk) hey you can appreciate the FXRS-CONV leather saddlebags I attached to my bike then.....<smiles> it says a lot that you owned a 1991 FXR, and now own a RG, and back to an FXR2 "Arresting Red"......I appreciate your reflection about what others are missing if they haven't ever ridden a FXR before.....it's an amazingly different type of ride for such a "light" bike....thanks for sharing and telling us a bit about your "historical" background with the FXR.  

Blaine (elvislee) So, my FXR4 wasn't my 1st choice, wasn't my 2nd choice, but....turned out to be the BEST choice. I love this bike and it will be passed down to my grandson one day and the legacy of the FXR will continue   I remember when you posted this earlier this summer what I was most touched by was your desire to leave your bike to your grandson.....I said it then and I will say it again.....that's awesome......I learned something new about you having 2 hip replacement surgeries.....oh my oh my.....so as one can only imagine how important it is that your bike be comfortable....what a great story......and as I have shared before I sure do like the "stance" of your bike with your new handlebars.....looks great....and as we all know "looks" is only part of the equation so I know the "bars" must be comfortable to or else you would be changing them back....and if most of you don't know Blaine loves his bike.....heck he had it stored above ground when that Hurricane hit the NO area this summer and was working itself around the Mobile area......Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Mike (REDFXR2) for those of you that don't know, it's Mike that we have to thank for all of our participation here.....there were days where it was really "bleak" for activity around this board....but Mike would regularly check the site to see if anyone posted a question or needed some input and would always offer a great word.....thanks for sharing Mike......

Joe (fxr3joe)  AN ORIGINAL OWNER!!!!! and you were FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO FIND IT AT A DEALER and didn't have to pay over list for it......AMAZING!!!  Hey Joe how did you find this website?  Great story and thanks for sharing.....
So Joe what "sales" advertising literature did you get with your purchase?   Doesn't sound like the "Dealer" really knew what he had when he called it a "FXR thing"????/

Isn't it amazing to see where we are all located.....I look forward to hearing from everyone.....these stories are awesome to read......

Regards,

Tim

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 05:19:40 PM »

Elvislee ............

who is the mfg of those bags you have on your bike ?
what model number are they?
How much where they ?
How long have you had them ?
Looks like you did not have to relocate the turn sigs, right ?
Do you like the bags?
How do you keep your stuff dry in the rain ?
Do they support them selfs to maintain their shape and not sag ?

btw, I think the look REALLY KEWL on your bike !!!
and the pic of your bike is really Fantastic !
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 05:32:21 PM »

Mikey....

Great story about your acquisition, and I hope we all get to participate in helping you with ideas about any "upcoming" projects......THANKS FOR SHARING  :2vrolijk_21:

Isn't it amazing to see where we are all located.....I look forward to hearing from everyone.....these stories are awesome to read......

Regards,

Tim

Thanks, it was a very strange way to come across a really good bike !

When I start on my build I'll start a new thread ......  I don't know if I should start it here in the 'FXR' section or over in the 'EVO' stuff.....   what are your thoughts on that ?

I already have most all the parts, just gotta get the gaskets (now that you've told me which ones to use where, TY TY), and a few other lil things.

I have SE heads
Rivera tapered chromolly adjustable push rods
Sifton max axle lifters
Chrome lifter blocks
Bob Wood W6 cam
Cometic .030 head gaskets

staying stock with the pistons and cylinders.   I'm currently trying to decide if I'm going to pull the cylinders off or not.  It has 26K miles on it, uses VERY LITTLE oil to speak of. And only a very small amount of weeping at the back of the base of the front cylinder.  I guess I really need to replace both of the cylinder base gaskets.  And I guess put in new rings and have the cylinders ball honed.
That's just more of a job than I really wanted to get into, I'm not overly excited about pulling the cylinders off, new rings and all that ......
Do you think that needs to be done ?
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »

HeHe!!! My turn! Hi, my name is Hoist!, and I'm also an FXRaholic!!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

1) Screen Name: Hoist!

2) Given Name: Howie

3) Age: 54

4) Location in the world: NYC

5) FXR Model Owned: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, "Joy"!!!

6) I found my BLUE3 after finding one in CA that was up for sale just a few months ago. I've loved the BLUE3 since the moment it came out. But I have other street bikes and wasn't in a position to look for one. Then George was trying to buy an FXR and sparked my interest in obtaining one again. Well, I found mine almost immediately thereafter, and had it shipped to NYC from CA. 9600 miles on her and she was MINT!!! It's everything I had hoped it would be and then some. I can't believe it took me almost 10 years to get one of these babies for myself. This will be the last home Joy sees in my lifetime! I LOVE this bike!!! Here's a 27 page thread on it. And it's still not up to date yet!!! http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25958.msg420613#msg420613

7) "Major" modifications: Nothing major, mostly stock. S&S Super E carb/AC assembly, Dyna single-fire ignition and coil, Accel 8.8mm Plug Wires, Cycle Shack M-pipe Exhaust, HD Flame pegs (mid, passenger, and highway) and grips, HD Low Sissy bar with smooth backrest pad and 4 bar Sport Luggage Rack, 3-1/2" straight risers with 12.5" Flanders Original Ape Hangers, chrome front Master Cylinder and chrome clutch lever bracket (for all-chrome handlebar controls), Braided SS Clutch and Throttle cables & Brakelines, Heavy PJ1 fork oil, and Auto Primary Chain Tensioner. Prolly more that I can't think of off the top of my head right now. I'll add to this as necessary.

Well, that's all I got for now. I'm a lil shy, so I don't post too much here! Maybe ya'll can bring me out of my shell a lil!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Keep enjoying your FXR's everyone!!! They are the one of the best riding street bikes HD ever made (and my '85 FXWG is the other one)! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 08:03:22 PM »

I'm currently trying to decide if I'm going to pull the cylinders off or not.  It has 26K miles on it, uses VERY LITTLE oil to speak of. And only a very small amount of weeping at the back of the base of the front cylinder.  I guess I really need to replace both of the cylinder base gaskets.  And I guess put in new rings and have the cylinders ball honed.
That's just more of a job than I really wanted to get into, I'm not overly excited about pulling the cylinders off, new rings and all that ......
Do you think that needs to be done ?

I think you've guessed right :D

No really, I think once you get the heads off, the prospect of pulling the cylinders to clean up the bores and install new rings will not seem like a big job at all.  I did my motor work at 16k miles and found that one cylinder was wearing slightly egg shaped at the bottom only so the Tech actually took a tiny cut down there to bring it back to round before honing.  I was planning on new rings and a hone anyway.  And I had no base gasket leaks yet, but the OEM gaskets were paper--I'm surprised at 26K you don't have any leaks yet.  I predict it won't be long.  Imo, if you're going to do the rest of the stuff you're planning, then go ahead and put in a new set of rings and clean up the bores and be done with it. It's not that much more money or effort.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 08:14:39 PM by RedFXR2 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 24 queries.