Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Oil pressure suddenly ranges from near 0 to 60 psi  (Read 6570 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Oil pressure suddenly ranges from near 0 to 60 psi
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 09:24:53 AM »

While in there do that cam plate kit.  That will cover pump, plate and tensioners.  Inner cam bearings also for sure.  With that many miles on a first gen Twin Cam you're playing with fire not replacing them.  If you change cams at the same time you'll not have to deal with finding someone with a press to help remove the old cams from the old cam plate before reinstallation in the new cam plate.  You'll not need any special tools for installing cams in the new cam plate.

Liferjoesquid

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 09:38:17 AM »

Any recommendations on cams?  Currently running screaming eagle cams.

J.D.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 11:33:56 AM »

If you are happy with the current SE cams, and none of the finished surfaces are damaged, reinstall them.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 07:24:21 PM »

If you are happy with the current SE cams, and none of the finished surfaces are damaged, reinstall them.

The FLTRSEi should have SE203's.. how much of an upgrade does it already have? (Paying attention for learning reasons)

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

J.D.

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 08:56:13 PM »

Do your homework on specialty tools.  I use George's but there are a number of shops making and selling them.  You definitely want to use the proper tools and techniques when removing and installing the bearings into both the cases and camplate, and also when removing and reinstalling the camshafts into the camplate.  You will also want to understand and follow the procedure to align the oil pump.  Google George's Garage Harley tools.

Liferjoesquid

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2019, 10:37:39 PM »

The FLTRSEi should have SE203's.. how much of an upgrade does it already have? (Paying attention for learning reasons)

It’s the SE103 but with the stroker kit.  11.5:1 compression ratio.  It’s running SE258 cams.  I suspect I’ll simply reuse them.  The bike was my father-in-law’s. He was a VP for Harley from 2000 to 2010.  This was his first touring bike.  It was used as a test platform for 2004 and following SE Road Glides.  It’s nicely modified.  I watched him pull and ride a wheelie in 2nd gear on that bike.  Me?  Not even if Frosty the Snowman survived a discussion with Satan would I ever try that.  I’m not nearly as good a rider (and he’s 6’4” and I’m 5’6”....there’s some vertical challenge issues as well :) )

Liferjoesquid

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2019, 10:40:58 PM »

Whoops...just saw my typing error....compression is 10.5:1

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2019, 05:17:13 PM »

Whoops...just saw my typing error....compression is 10.5:1

LOL... at 11.5:1 it must be one hell of a beast!

103 with 258 cams... hmmmm any head work? Sounds interesting.

Liferjoesquid

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 11:02:27 PM »

Yep.  He had the head work done at the same time as the stroker kit installation. It's still a beast, perhaps a smidget tired. I figure this would be a great opportunity to check out the rods, lifters, cams while replacing the cam plate.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2019, 08:44:55 PM »

Yep.  He had the head work done at the same time as the stroker kit installation. It's still a beast, perhaps a smidget tired. I figure this would be a great opportunity to check out the rods, lifters, cams while replacing the cam plate.

If the bore is still within spec you might get away with a touch hone with torque plates and re ring it and put it back together.  New lifters at the very least. (In addition to the other cam chest mods) Valve job and possibly new valve guides on the heads if they are out of spec.

I'm opening the cam chest on mine today and hoping that I don't find anything wrong with mine... I really don't want to go there and open the can of worms any further. Just hoping to change some corroded chrome and put it back together without looking. (NOT!)  :nixweiss:

Bad enough I bought the Supermeg... lets see what other kind of trouble I can get into....  :)

Its all Twolanerider's fault...  :jack:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2019, 10:06:47 PM »

Bad enough I bought the Supermeg... lets see what other kind of trouble I can get into....  :)

Its all Twolanerider's fault...  :jack:

;D ;D ;D ;D

Think you'll like the Supermeg :2vrolijk_21: .

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2019, 04:25:48 AM »

Little input,....before removing the cam bearings take note of their position,  you don't want to install the new ones to deep or to proud.

Hope all goes well for you  :2vrolijk_21:

J.D.

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2019, 09:44:30 AM »

Using the proper Harley OE (or equivalent) tool the bearing depth will be set properly.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2019, 01:01:59 PM »

Using the proper Harley OE (or equivalent) tool the bearing depth will be set properly.

True!

I should have said if you don't use a HD removal/ install cam bearing tool, be sure to etc. etc.
I myself when I upgraded the cam bearings I used a slide hammer bearing removal/ install kit taking note of bearing positioning prior to removing.
I couldn't justify the cost of the said "special tool" for the times it would be used when a slide hammer bearing kit works as well for a 3rd the cost. Keeping in mind some what a little more care must be taken on the bearing install.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 11:07:24 AM »

i just read that you put it back together without replacing the shoes.... OMG.. the shoes don't have any lip, that shoe is near engine destruction time. if you want to be real cheap [i get that] you can obtain newer better shoes, and the tools to replace them - clean the cam plate and go another 20k , if you run it ANY length of time with a destroyed shoe like in your picture you will be purchasing and entire engine very shortly.. sorry.. also you need to be certain that the cam bearing upgrade has been done - if not do it - its cheap.

again i understand trying not to spend money - but that shoe in the picture is days away from no bike at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.