Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question for the Indiana Riders.  (Read 1087 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
A question for the Indiana Riders.
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:38:20 PM »

How difficult is the riding portion of the Indiana DMV motorcycle test?

I ask because I am working one on one with a special client. He's originally from SoCal, but lives and works in Indianapolis. He bought a new Street Glide which he is having shipped over there as soon as the dealer finishes customizing it. Having never ridden before the salesman sent him to me for private one on one lessons. I've been working with him for three hours a day since Monday and plan on taking him all the way to Friday. He's gotten pretty good, so much so that by day 2 we had done all the Ride Like A Pro exercises and I started him on the LAPD mazes. He got those down pretty well today, so tomorrow I plan on taking him onto the street to work some hills.

Judging by how well he did with the LAPD exercises, I'm confident that with some prep and practice he can pass whatever Indiana requires of riders. Still, I'd like to know what to tell him to expect.

Thanks

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: A question for the Indiana Riders.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:51:36 AM »

The Indiana riders have left the building, Mark. :)
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 11:45:42 AM »

The Local ABATE class takes a break on some Saturday's to allow the driving test for would be riders for their endorsement.
I feel quite sure that after your lessons, your student will be more than prepared for the excersizes that they give for the pass/fail portion of the test.
However, if your student would want to take tyhe 2-day Abate class, the motorcycle riding endorsement is awarded at the end of the Abate class.
Sawyer Ghost

dps4

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »

I took it many years ago, but observe them doing it now and it appears to be difficult for many of them. I'm sure a little practice would go a long ways. The slow speed test moves are where the major screw-ups occur.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 04:48:45 PM »

It's also been awhile for me, but as I remember it there was a lot of low speed cone work, with the cone spacing more suitable for a 125cc dirt bike than a heavyweight touring rig.  Also a relatively simple braking exercise.  It shouldn't be a problem for someone who has been doing the "ride like a pro" exercises.  The folks who seemed to have the biggest problem when I took the test were either newbies who hadn't taken any of the courses, or folks on new to them heavy bikes.  I saw one guy do probably a thousand dollars worth of damage to his bags and fairing on a Triumph bagger before he got a quarter way through the course.  It was obvious he should have gotten a lot more practice before doing the test, or like many others that day he could have rented one of those dirt bikes just to take the test.  I would recommend that to anyone worried about trashing their new bike, btw.  You don't have to own the bike you use for the test.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 06:17:19 PM »

It's also been awhile for me, but as I remember it there was a lot of low speed cone work, with the cone spacing more suitable for a 125cc dirt bike than a heavyweight touring rig.  Also a relatively simple braking exercise.  It shouldn't be a problem for someone who has been doing the "ride like a pro" exercises.  The folks who seemed to have the biggest problem when I took the test were either newbies who hadn't taken any of the courses, or folks on new to them heavy bikes.  I saw one guy do probably a thousand dollars worth of damage to his bags and fairing on a Triumph bagger before he got a quarter way through the course.  It was obvious he should have gotten a lot more practice before doing the test, or like many others that day he could have rented one of those dirt bikes just to take the test.  I would recommend that to anyone worried about trashing their new bike, btw.  You don't have to own the bike you use for the test.

Jerry

Jerry, that sounds like Mark's Ride Like A Pro West Coast course. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  Should be a piece of cake for that guy after Mark's done with him.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 06:52:59 PM »

Thanks for the info.

Guys over on another site helped steer me in the right direction of Indiana Abate. He shouldn’t have any problems. We worked on all those test requirements and more this week. He'll probably need to get familiar with the feel of his own bike back in Indy as he has been on a KZ1000 Police bike this whole week.

He’s a really BIG guy. He went to USC and plays football for the Colts. I told him I'd feel real bad if he got injured and couldn't play. I said I didn't want another Rothlisberger incident (Hyabusa accident, not girl in the men’s room) and see him go flying over the hood of a car on the way to practice.

Yesterday we worked on hills. I started him on a gentle slope, getting him to stop and go without stalling and making u-turns on a hill. His trial by fire came in Manhattan Beach where we stopped on a really steeeeeep incline (near El Porto Beach if you are familiar with it) and had to make a quick sharp right turn onto a fairly busy street. I told him to hold himself with the friction zone, and once he started moving to snap his head to right and look through the lane so he wouldn't wander out into the next lane. He did really well. Then we rode to along the Palos Verdes peninsula. We came back on a heavily traveled road called Sepulveda Blvd to get him used to being in traffic and around cars. When we got back to my house I introduced him to my neighbors who are big USC football fans.

Today we rode up the coast for lunch Duke Kahanamokus in Malibu. After lunch we did some canyon riding to practice counter steering and looking through curves. It was good practical experience as we had a truck back out of a driveway in front of us. Then another baptism by fire, a trip home on the dreaded LA Freeways 101 and 405 to experience car pool lanes and freeway traffic.

He has ALL the skills needed to survive on the road, but he tends to ride conservatively. I actually prefer that for a newbie than being is too aggressive. All of that will come as he gets more miles in the saddle.

He showed up with a helmet size 5XL that he borrowed from a cousin who he said was bigger than him...DAMN. Since he probably can't walk into a dealership and buy "clothing off the rack", I gave him info for Bates and Langlitz Leathers where he can get something tailor made for his build.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:59:00 PM by Ironhorse »
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »

Judging how people drive cages in Indiana, the driving test must be easy.  LOL
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

jayray00SERG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red FLTRSE1
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »

So Cal riding for a week prepares him for anything Indiana can dish out. Good idea to take the test on a smaller bike that is more easily handled. Big guy who can use the friction zone will be fine.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 09:14:12 PM »

When I took him to work hills I asked if he had any hills where he lives. He laughed and said all of Indiana is flat. Set a marble in the road and it does not move.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 09:58:29 PM »

Judging how people drive cages in Indiana, the driving test must be easy.  LOL

I have to agree.  I think common sense is actually frowned upon and results in an automatic 5 point deduction on the written test.  As for the driving portion of the test, is it indicative of anything when the examiner wears a helmet and rosary beads for the test drive?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 11:32:31 PM »

I have to agree.  I think common sense is actually frowned upon and results in an automatic 5 point deduction on the written test.  As for the driving portion of the test, is it indicative of anything when the examiner wears a helmet and rosary beads for the test drive?

Jerry

I think it means he's a catholic with priors.  :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 22 queries.