Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 into 1 exhaust  (Read 3950 times)

Firehog

• Ride to work every day!
2 into 1 exhaust
« on: August 11, 2004, 10:01:28 PM »

I have almost 5.000 miles on my03 SERK. Since I don't like the OEM Touring mufflers I want to upgrade to a 2 into 1 system.

A mechanic at my Harley dealership said this would increase performance. I don't want to get a really loud system, though. What should I do [smiley=nixweiss.gif]? I would appreciate any input!

mfgreen

Re: 2 into 1 exhaust
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 10:49:13 PM »

I have almost 5.000 miles on my03 SERK. Since I don't like the OEM Touring mufflers I want to upgrade to a 2 into 1 system.

A mechanic at my Harley dealership said this would increase performance. I don't want to get a really loud system, though. What should I do [smiley=nixweiss.gif]? I would appreciate any input!

Hey Firehog,

Welcome to the site.  Glad that you are on the board.

Your mechanic is correct about the two into one increasing your performance...especially in the torque area...important on a bagger.

Your preference would probably include tuneable and/or removable baffles (several manufacturers).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 11:17:13 PM by mfgreen »

flhrsei2_gret's_is for sale

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 11:50:36 AM »

Use a collector pipe - they're fine... however, you may end up running one of the outputs near the passenger peg... careful on that... you can muffle what you want with a collector pipe - and yes - it will mimic something similar to what you see out there on softtails or dyna glides. Was thinking of something like this for myself, actually.

Good luck - let me know what you find out.
...at my age knowledge is not based on what the book says, because - we write the books.

mfgreen

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 06:01:36 PM »

Use a collector pipe - they're fine... however, you may end up running one of the outputs near the passenger peg... careful on that... you can muffle what you want with a collector pipe - and yes - it will mimic something similar to what you see out there on softtails or dyna glides. Was thinking of something like this for myself, actually.

Good luck - let me know what you find out.
AS you have said flhrsei-2_for_sale , it is important for clearances, power and noise containment to use this set-up.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 02:48:01 PM by mfgreen »

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 10:06:03 AM »

I'm using D&D Performance Fat Cat 2 into 1 very happy with the performance and the volume (not too loud, i can still listen to my radio) and I am using what they call the performance baffle they also offer a even queiter solution. Another nice feature is they also have the ghost pipe for the stock look as well as maintaining the factory balance.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 10:08:44 AM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 10:15:08 AM »

Ofender, never thought I'd have to use this on you (LOL!), but:  [smiley=worthless.gif]

Firehog

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 12:08:16 PM »

Thanks for the input, guys. Talked to my dealer. They recommend this: HD Hi-Flow kit (PN 29440-99B), White Bros. 2-1 with removable baffles, Race Tuner Kit. He promises 1hp per ci = a whopping 103hp!!!
Sounds great to me, especially since some threads mention trouble with the power commander on our bikes.

mfgreen

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 12:21:32 PM »

Thanks for the input, guys. Talked to my dealer. They recommend this: HD Hi-Flow kit (PN 29440-99B), White Bros. 2-1 with removable baffles, Race Tuner Kit. He promises 1hp per ci = a whopping 103hp!!!
Sounds great to me, especially since some threads mention trouble with the power commander on our bikes.
This sounds like a good set-up for what you are looking for. Where does your mechanic feel that the torque will fall in?? Have you discussed what will happen with the warranty or with your dealership honoring it? Get it in writing.
Mike

mfgreen

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 02:07:33 PM »

If you need to look at some manufacturers of other systems, here are a few with some results on installation and sound level.

Some choices of manufacturers might be:

Bassani Pro Street
Idle 81-83 db / 3000 rpm 96-98db
STD HP 101hp T- 97
Finish very good ease of installation is good
HIGHEST PEAK HP IN OUR TEST*

D and D
Idle 81-82 db / 3000 rpm 96db
STD HP 89.1 T- 98.3
Finish is very good easy to install
Squeaky sound

Cycle Shack
Idle 80db / 3000 rpm 97-98db
STD hp 98.8 T- 98.8
Black Chrome finish is cool and pipes were easy to install
VERY IMPRESSIEVE, WIDE AND FLAT TORQUE CURVE

Bartels Performance.
Idle 78-80 db /3000 rpm 94-95 db
STD hp 97.8 T 99.0
Possibly the best looking pipes.
Installation with heat shields moderate
BIG SOUND AND HIGH POWER

Paucho

Firehog

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 10:42:36 PM »

Thanks, Mike!
That is an awesome array of potential pipes. I love the look of the fat cat. But I just learned that they are really loud.
According to CA Harley in Harbor City the suggested setup would stress peak horsepower and not torque. The modifications would void the warranty. If I would get the hi-flow kit only, the warranty would not be affected.
I will let you know what I end up with. Leaning towards White Bros. or Screamin' Eagle Pro 2-1. Might be nice to keep everything OEM.

mfgreen

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 08:27:08 AM »

Thanks, Mike!
That is an awesome array of potential pipes. I love the look of the fat cat. But I just learned that they are really loud.
According to CA Harley in Harbor City the suggested setup would stress peak horsepower and not torque. The modifications would void the warranty. If I would get the hi-flow kit only, the warranty would not be affected.
I will let you know what I end up with. Leaning towards White Bros. or Screamin' Eagle Pro 2-1. Might be nice to keep everything OEM.
I agree with the OEM thing, however, if you read some of these threads about the problems that the our having with H-D Chrome, I would think that there some options that our worth exploring out there that will give you the looks and performance that you are looking to achieve for your bike. Most dealers have availability of White Bros. through the permitted aftermarket resources that Harley "allows" in their dealership agreement.
Mike

Firehog

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 03:14:18 PM »

I know, my triple tree cover is rusting, as is the mirror mounting hardware and the floorboards and footpegs for the passenger. I will drop it of for the 5k tomorrow and have them fix it. We'll see whether they replace any of that. However, I live very close to the Pacific Ocean (500 yards) and pretty much everything rusts here.

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.