Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: Gap between seat and tanK?  (Read 84307 times)

grinner

• Happy Idiot
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: No CVO's At Present
Re: Gap between seat and tanK?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »

Well, went back to my dealer (Earl Small's Harley Davidson, Cartersville, GA) yesterday and asked again about the seat gap issue.  They had a 2010 SESG on the floor and lo and behold that seat was already working its' way back from the CVO chrome tank plate.  They said that HD had not released any fix, and so I was basically stuck.....  Ended up ordering a 2010 SEUG seat to put on my SG as my gap is now about 1.5" wide and looks like crap.  No offer to replace or assist, except they gave me 10% off of the new seat.....only cost me a little over $200 out of pocket...and I don't even know if this will work!

Not sure if it's HD corporate or my local dealer, but my first HD purchase has been nothing less than a friggin nightmare when it comes to any sort of decent service after the sale..........

:beatdeadhorse:
1988 Honda Hurricane
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
2008 Aprilia RSVr (track)
2008 Honda GL1800
2009 Aprilia Tuono 1000R (track)
2009 Aprilia RSVR
2011 BMW G650GS (dual)
2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC (Screamer)
2012 HD XR1200x Sportster

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2009, 02:40:33 PM »

Well, went back to my dealer (Earl Small's Harley Davidson, Cartersville, GA) yesterday and asked again about the seat gap issue.  They had a 2010 SESG on the floor and lo and behold that seat was already working its' way back from the CVO chrome tank plate.  They said that HD had not released any fix, and so I was basically stuck.....  Ended up ordering a 2010 SEUG seat to put on my SG as my gap is now about 1.5" wide and looks like crap.  No offer to replace or assist, except they gave me 10% off of the new seat.....only cost me a little over $200 out of pocket...and I don't even know if this will work!

Not sure if it's HD corporate or my local dealer, but my first HD purchase has been nothing less than a friggin nightmare when it comes to any sort of decent service after the sale..........

:beatdeadhorse:

Go back to your service manager. Ask nice, he's your friend in this deal. Show him this thread and especially my last post. Ask him to call tech services. I'm betting he'll hear the same answer my dealer did. Do you want a new seat or a different one? Worth a try. If your dealer isn't helpful, call customer service yourself.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
Update on the Update
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 04:32:37 PM »

I forwarded our threads on the seat issue to my service manager. He is very concerned that a seat that flexes as much as mine so the front becomes unhinged is a safety issue. And, he is convinced that the factory really isn't aware of the issue. His suggestion was to post this phone number -- 414-343-4056 which is the Customer Service number for customers and report this problem EVEN IF YOU'VE TALKED TO YOUR DEALER AND ARE HAPPY WITH THAT DEALER'S RESPONSE. That way the problem will be "officially" on the record.

In my service manager's opinion, dealerships are taking care of customers without necessarily going through the right channels to get the problem to the attention of the right people at the factory.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Update on the Update
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »

I forwarded our threads on the seat issue to my service manager. He is very concerned that a seat that flexes as much as mine so the front becomes unhinged is a safety issue. And, he is convinced that the factory really isn't aware of the issue. His suggestion was to post this phone number -- 414-343-4056 which is the Customer Service number for customers and report this problem EVEN IF YOU'VE TALKED TO YOUR DEALER AND ARE HAPPY WITH THAT DEALER'S RESPONSE. That way the problem will be "officially" on the record.

In my service manager's opinion, dealerships are taking care of customers without necessarily going through the right channels to get the problem to the attention of the right people at the factory.

Number noted-Good stuff  :2vrolijk_21:
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

grinner

• Happy Idiot
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2009, 10:31:44 AM »

Called HD customer service 414-343-4056 this morning  (thanks michael!)

Initially spoke with "Dana" and explained issue.  She said there was a "fix kit" released October 21 for the 2009 models but didn't see anything to address the 2010 models.  She took info and forwarded me to "Debbie".  "Debbie" asked me to go back to the Dealership today, give them the Case Reference # xxxxxxx, and ask them to take digital pictures of the issue and send to them immediately.  She said she would contact me with a follow up once the pics had been received and reviewed.  I gave my cell as contact number, and they verified they had my home number too.  I mentioned this site to both customer reps and they were aware of the chatter posted here too!

Looks like somebody is aware since there is a fix already out for the 2009's, so hopefully they will address the current year models too.  Another issue is that the more the seat pulls back, the tongue is now starting to point slightly upward.  Looks like I am riding with a boner now!!  No wonder everybody is smiling and waving at me so much!!  :huepfenlol2: :nervous: :confused5:
1988 Honda Hurricane
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
2008 Honda GL1800
2009 Aprilia RSVR
2011 BMW G650GS (dual)

volfan615

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2009, 01:19:46 PM »

There is not a "fix kit" for the 2009 SERG.  I spoke with customer service again yesterday and they transferred me to a lady that works with the production groups.  She told me that they are working on a new seat but that it could be 3-6 months.  I told her that I had heard of people getting replacement seats and her response was that they had tried that but it wasn't working.

I can't believe that they knew this was a problem with the 09 SERG and then screwed up again with the 2010 SESG.  It's ridiculous to pay this much for Harley's top of the line bikes and have to deal with this issue.

EVERYONE needs to call customer service and keep calling till they take care of us!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:27:54 PM by volfan615 »

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »

As the seat "bends" does it adversly affect the surface of the rear fender?  I think this would scuff the paint and if you went with a solo seat you may see some damage.  On another note, if there is a fix in for the '09 wouldn't we be able to use that seat on the '10?
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

volfan615

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 07:28:55 PM »

Someone on the SERG forum mention drilling out the center hole in the seat bracket to move the seat up.  I just tried this on my SERG and it moves the seat up as far as it will go.  Only issue with this fix is that there is only 1 screw attaching the bracket to the seat.  I guess this will do until Harley decides to fix this.

grinner

• Happy Idiot
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »

I got the new seat installed last night and it is much better  (http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=42934.0)

Once I got the stock SG seat off I was amazed at the lack of support or any substantial reinforcement under the saddle.  When I flipped them both over and put the stock SG seat next to the stock UG seat, it was amazing to see the difference in support and overall quality lacking in the SG saddle.  I could almost bend the stock SG saddle in half it was so pliable (scary, 'cause if the front comes out of the slot it could be really bad for the rider!!).   Nose on the new UG saddle goes about two inches past the CVO tank plate (thank God no more ugly gap), and wife loves the feel and comfort of the new seat.

I also added the leather tour pack and it looks pretty sharp too.  Got everything installed by 11pm last night.  I tossed and turned all night waiting for daylight to see it and ride it to work (39 degrees in North Georgia this morning!!)  Not sure if I was supposed to put the stock backrest back on but it snapped right in and looks good too.
1988 Honda Hurricane
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
2008 Honda GL1800
2009 Aprilia RSVR
2011 BMW G650GS (dual)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 11:56:44 AM »

Allen with Mean City Cycles is a friend of mine, we chat often. I'm sure most of you know who they are.

I asked if he was aware of the seat issue with the SESG... this was his reply. Thought it to be interesting.

>>>Looks similar to the seat that was on last year’s CVO RG which had similar problems as you are describing.  The local dealer has sent me 3 to fix and supposedly have 3 more on the way in for repairs.  The seat pan is just too flat with no bends in it for rigidity so what I have been doing is taking piece of 1/8 inch flat stock and bending it to the shape of the pan and putting one strip on each side of the seat pan and pop riveting it on. 

At the front of the seat they have some type of woven mesh that is in the foam and it is pulled under the seat pan.  This is supposed to keep the foam against the seat pan but like most of their recent seat work is poorly designed.  I end up re-gluing the foam back to the seat pan and covering the entire seat with a thin ¼” foam and attach it to the seat pan all the way around.  With that and pulling the cover a little tighter on the nose of the seat all of the seats I have done have not had any further issues.

My dealer said they called HD when the first customer complained about the seat and they told them they had not heard of this issue.  A month later, the second one showed up and they said they were aware of the problem but no fix yet. 

We did the last one 4 weeks ago and was told there still isn’t a fix, hopefully they will get it right without making the seat worse. Removing the tongue off the front of the seats was a huge mistake because in a year or two the cheap pans will start wearing the slot in the pan out and you can’t adjust anything to make it fit better where on the old tongue seats you could adjust the tongue to the keep the nose down, I would have thought since they did the same design back in the late 60s early 70s they had learned their lesson but history repeats itself yet again.
<<< 

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »

I just got my bike back from the dealer today. I had to have the seat replaced for a second time because of the gap in the seat. The new seat looks much better. It mates to the tank panel, feels much more sturdy. The pan has been redesigned and has a molded brace on it or should I say is part of it. It feels heavier. I don't know if it as comfy as the old one yet. I haven't rode it as I- well I live in Seattle.
TJ

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »

I just got my bike back from the dealer today. I had to have the seat replaced for a second time because of the gap in the seat. The new seat looks much better. It mates to the tank panel, feels much more sturdy. The pan has been redesigned and has a molded brace on it or should I say is part of it. It feels heavier. I don't know if it as comfy as the old one yet. I haven't rode it as I- well I live in Seattle.

Did they give you the part number for this revised seat?  I would guess based off of previous convention that it would contain the previous seat number followed by an "A". :nixweiss:

This is suprising news. :2vrolijk_21:  Seems like most people would want to know more about this change.  I wonder if this type of revision falls in the realm of a recall.  Especially when you consider how many of the owners and shops have expressed safety concern with the original seat becoming detached in the front.

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2009, 04:09:01 PM »

I JUST got off of the phone with customer service.......she said there will be a repair kit issued AT THE END OF NOVEMBER for the repair of the seat gap on the 2010 SESG.   We will see about that.
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2009, 05:31:24 PM »

tj,
Is this a SESG seat or.......? :confused5:

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »

tj,
Is this a SESG seat or.......? :confused5:
I did not get a part number for the seat.
This is the second replacement I have had on the SESG.
I did not take a picture of the bottom of the old seat so I
can't say if this is a new design or not, but it seem much
sturdier and heavier. I will however ask about it next time
I am at my dealer
TJ
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 26 queries.