Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: Gap between seat and tanK?  (Read 84299 times)

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
Re: Gap between seat and tanK?
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2010, 10:13:21 PM »

not sure if it was the same bike up here a couple of weeks back, it was scuffed , chipped , etc.
I am waiting on delivery on my SESG and wondering if the seat issue is a safety concern, sounds like the front pulls out of it's bracket, am I picturing this right? :nixweiss:

Yes.

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2010, 10:22:34 PM »

I can't see why there isn't a recall if it's a safety concern  :confused5:
Hawg

jacksglide

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2010, 07:08:24 AM »

A while back I submitted a post on this very subject. I talked directly to one of the engineers at H.D. headquarters. When he pissed me off, I asked about this becoming a saftey issue. His statement was "We currently do NOT have any data to back up your statement that our seat design on the SESG is or may become a saftey issue". I was pretty jacked up at this point and told him I guess some of us will just have to file a class action law suit against Harley when we get hurt because of the seat issue. I mean my seat actually sticks up between my legs, not very comfy for the boys. It did not matter what I tried to say to this guy. He was all peaches and cream untill he figured out I was not talking about a Road Glide seat, but the SESG. He claimed up tighter that all get out then. Actually did NOT want to discuss the issue further. He stated thet Harley has NO ISSUE with the seat on the SESG.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2010, 11:34:33 AM »

My dealer offered to give me a Sundowner in exchange. I haven't taken them up on this because if/when there's a fix, I still want a SESG seat. I got my 2nd SESG seat after 1,000 miles, just before Winter hit here in Colorado. So, no miles on the replacement yet. It fits and looks great, but surely will sag as soon as I start riding in the Spring.

My intent is to either buy a Sundowner or Mustang seat and keep exchanging the stock SESG seat under warranty until the factory comes up with a more permanent solution. I hate to buy another seat for this expensive bike. When it's new, the stock seat is more comfortable than most OE Harley seats and looks great. But, when it sags, it looks awful and the front does pull away from any contact with the bike. Dangerous, probably. Annoying, certainly.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2010, 02:12:42 PM »

My dealer offered to give me a Sundowner in exchange. I haven't taken them up on this because if/when there's a fix, I still want a SESG seat. I got my 2nd SESG seat after 1,000 miles, just before Winter hit here in Colorado. So, no miles on the replacement yet. It fits and looks great, but surely will sag as soon as I start riding in the Spring.

My intent is to either buy a Sundowner or Mustang seat and keep exchanging the stock SESG seat under warranty until the factory comes up with a more permanent solution. I hate to buy another seat for this expensive bike. When it's new, the stock seat is more comfortable than most OE Harley seats and looks great. But, when it sags, it looks awful and the front does pull away from any contact with the bike. Dangerous, probably. Annoying, certainly.

Agree with your thinking but IMO there will not be a fix going forward. Its the same issue on since 2008 with the release of the 09 SERG. If after 2 years they haven't fixed it don't hold your breath waiting.

The smarter dealers are offering replacement seats for their own customer satisfaction. If you get the offer take the deal in the unlikely event they ever fixed it Buy one.

Mine is hanging on the wall already bought the new sundowner on my own. Had a friend want to buy it for his 08 Ultra fit his bike even worse than mine. I would be embarrassed to offer it for sale.
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2010, 11:26:28 PM »

Is there a stock Harley Seat that will not only look good but stay in place?
Hawg

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2010, 02:02:53 PM »

I have a Sundowner Touring seat for 2 up and the standard Street Glide seat. they both fit fine.
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

cwkcpa

• 11 CVO
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »

Yes, I have the same problem and too am waiting to hear what Harley will do about it.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2010, 08:11:33 PM »

My dealer modified the tong on the back of the seat which pushed the seat farther up into the tank.  Haven't had any issues with a gap since. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2010, 08:30:25 PM »

My dealer modified the tong on the back of the seat which pushed the seat farther up into the tank.  Haven't had any issues with a gap since. 

Can you describe the modification or maybe picture of the mod???
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

ScreaminStreetGlide

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE in Candy Concord
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2010, 08:34:38 PM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=45803.0

I have this bracket in my possession.  I just don't have my bike yet (in heated storage at the Dealer until the snow melts) Would someone please measure the stock bracket I measured this one.
How far apart are the centers of the two holes on the seat side of the stock bracket?  How far apart are the fender hole and the closest seat side hole?

The center of hole A is 2 3/8" from the center of hole B.   The Centers of B and C are 1 9/32" apart.  Hole A is 7/16" in diameter and B & C are each 5/16" diameter.  The entire bracket is 4 11/32" long, 1 inch wide and 1/8" thick.

If someone could give me the same measurements off the stock bracket, we can calculate how far forward this bracket will push the stock seat.  You can't tell by the picture, but this Mustang bracket has a nice chrome finish.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:07:43 PM by ScreaminStreetGlide »
"Don't blame me....I didn't vote for him!"

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »

Can you describe the modification or maybe picture of the mod???

No pic, (the bike's budled up right now).  As far as I know the dealer put a longer tang on, which pushed the seat forward about a half an inch or so...all I know is I've got no cap problem.  They did tell me that when/if the MoCo does come out with a fix, they will perform that fix if I want to have it done.

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2010, 04:31:28 PM »

Had my SM call tech support today and check on my seat HD service ticket. He asked the guy about the seat bracket fix. After the tech at HD put us on hold, asked one of the engineers, he came back to say...

There will be a bulletin sent out in the next few weeks by the mother ship. Seems that HD is going to supply a fix or a new extended bracket for the seats. Also said they will go quick and for the SM to call back often to reserve mine.

Just a heads up.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2010, 04:33:22 PM »

I'll bet with all the Toyota problems going on, companies are going to be a bit more responsive to these issues :2vrolijk_21:
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

ScreaminStreetGlide

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE in Candy Concord
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2010, 08:03:26 PM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=45803.0

I have this bracket in my possession.  I just don't have my bike yet (in heated storage at the Dealer until the snow melts)  If anyone would like to measure the stock bracket I will measure this one.
How far apart are the centers of the two holes on the seat side of the stock bracket?  How far apart are the fender hole and the closest seat side hole?

The center of hole A is 2 3/8" from the center of hole B.   The Centers of B and C are 1 9/32" apart.  Hole A is 7/16" in diameter and B & C are each 5/16" diameter.  The entire bracket is 4 11/32" long, 1 inch wide and 1/8" thick.

If someone could give me the same measurements off the stock bracket, we can calculate how far forward this bracket will push the stock seat.  You can't tell by the picture, but this Mustang bracket has a nice chrome finish.

Is there NOBODY interested in knowing if this bracket will work and push the seat up far enough?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:05:26 PM by ScreaminStreetGlide »
"Don't blame me....I didn't vote for him!"
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.