Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: My 2014 CVO Limited - Only 20 hours together!  (Read 9558 times)

horndog10

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire (Purchased 4/18/14) )
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited - Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire (Totaled 3/21/14)
    • CVO3: 2012 CVO Streetglide - Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon (Traded 3/20/14)
My 2014 CVO Limited - Only 20 hours together!
« on: March 25, 2014, 06:51:52 PM »

My wife and I recently decided to trade in my 2012 CVO Streetglide for a 2014 CVO Limited as we were doing considerably more two-up riding and her Sportster was spending most of its time in the garage.  We got a terrific deal from St. Charles Harley Davidson, and made arrangements to pick up the bike last Thursday evening.  We took a short 30 mile ride Thursday night, then elected to take the bike to work with us the next day, then head out for long overnight ride over the weekend.  We had just left work and were stopped at a traffic light enjoying the beautiful day when the beauty was interrupted by a 19 year old who was racing a friend down the four lane street we were on.  At the last minute, he changed lanes (to our lane) and hit the back of our motorcycle, according to the police estimate of 45 - 50 MPH.  Needless to say, the impact was terrifying - both of us remember flying up in the air, then hitting the pavement hard.  My wife wound up with a broken left ankle and I had a broken right ankle and dislocated left hip.  After a night in the hospital and surgery on my wife's ankle the next morning, we were both released from the hospital (my surgery will be next week). We are both very thankful and count ourselves as incredibly fortunate considering the alternative outcome possibilities.  As an FYI, we were wearing boots, gloves, leather jackets and helmets.

Many thanks to the good Samaritans who stayed with us until the EMT's arrived, the EMT's themselves and the local police department for their quick response and great care they provided us.

Also, a big thanks to Esurance who has went out of their way to work through this issue and are working hard to get us a new bike and riding gear.

Anyway, it was a very enjoyable 22 hours with our 2014 CVO Limited....hoping for 22 years with the next one!

I tried to attach a photo, but am not sure it will upload as it does not show when I preview the post.

SW

If you want to live life by your own terms, you've got to be willing to crash and burn.... N. Sixx

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
Re: My 2014 CVO Limited - Only 20 hours together!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 06:57:35 PM »

Of all the things you think about with a new bike that is not one of them. Thankfully you weren't injured any worse and you can buy more toys. Your attitude also seems not to have been injured. Good luck with your recovery and getting back in the saddle.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:32:16 AM by pkl »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »

What a horrible way to be injured.  Thankful you both survived.  Good Luck to both of you with your recovery.  It's good you had so much good going on around you when you needed it.  God Bless.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:08:21 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 07:05:20 PM »

What a horrible way to be injured.  Thankful you both survived.  Good Luck to both of you with your recovery.  It's good you had some much good going on around you when you needed it.  God Bless.

+1

With best wishes for both you and your wife during the recovery process
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 07:10:35 PM »

sounds like you will will recover which is the best and most important part, good luck with the replacement ride.

were the drivers charged with anything?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 07:22:42 PM »

OMG, not what I expected to read after the first few sentences.  I'm so sorry to hear about your misfortune, but glad you are okay.  Man, this hits home as it could have been me.  I too bought my Blue CVO Ltd. form St. Charles Harley Davidson.  My Wife and I also ride 2 up a lot. It could have easily have been us in that situation, so it hits home big time.
Welcome to the forum, and I hope it all works out for you both soon.  Hope to meet you both someday.

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 07:29:07 PM »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  The bike can be replaced - it's only money and you have insurance so that is no big deal.  Your health and well being is a big deal and sure hope you and your wife and up and about real soon.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

horndog10

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:07:47 PM »

After the driver hit us, he then took out a traffic light, finally coming to a stop thanks to a very large oak tree.  According to the police, there were no skid marks from trying to stop.  Yes, the driver was arrested at the scene and charged with vehicular assault.  He was also cited for:
1) 834.010 Careless and Reckless Driving
2) 17.16.120 Improper Lane Usage
3) 17.10.020 Exceeded Reasonable Speed
4) Failure to Drive at a Safe Speed
If you want to live life by your own terms, you've got to be willing to crash and burn.... N. Sixx

brwk

• Full CVO Member
  • Annv #782

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »

WOW!!!!  Hope you both recover quickly.  Get a lawyer and don't agree to anything until you do. 

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 08:22:03 PM »

Wow- glad to hear you both survived. Felt the rage building inside me as I was reading!!! Wish you a quick recovery.

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »

Glad you weren't hurt any worse. Bikes can be replaced. Praying for your quick recovery. Keep the positive attitude and you will be back riding soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

King2013

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 08:43:27 PM »

So sorry to hear this. Having been in your shoes the best thing you can do is not say a word to anyone and just get your self a lawyer. Then concentrate on healing.
I'm still healing and it's a continuing battle with his insurance company.

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 08:49:04 PM »

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery from your injuries.
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »

Makes me sick just reading about this.  X2 on the building rage too.  Hopefully you'll have a speedy recovery.
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »

After the driver hit us, he then took out a traffic light, finally coming to a stop thanks to a very large oak tree.  According to the police, there were no skid marks from trying to stop.  Yes, the driver was arrested at the scene and charged with vehicular assault.  He was also cited for:
1) 834.010 Careless and Reckless Driving
2) 17.16.120 Improper Lane Usage
3) 17.10.020 Exceeded Reasonable Speed
4) Failure to Drive at a Safe Speed

5) Excessive Stupidity
6) Drag Racing

Probably won't get jail time, but should. Hire a lawyer, sue him and the other guy.
Good that you two are recovering, best wishes.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »

I'm sorry about your unfortunate rear ending by some idiot that need his ass kicked but am happy to hear that you escaped with just the injuries you described and nothing more "permanent".  Heal up quickly and I wish you no pain. 
Jesus is Lord

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »

Very glad you both survived this and will recover to resume your lives, we take a huge gamble trusting other drivers will operate safely and wisely... as we all know that is not and will not be the case.
Good luck on both of you recovering and healing properly.

MAT

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 12:19:35 PM »

Wow!  Very good to read you and the Mrs. will recover.   :2vrolijk_21:  It could have been so much worse.    :nervous:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 01:53:18 PM »

Wow!  Very good to read you and the Mrs. will recover.   :2vrolijk_21:  It could have been so much worse.    :nervous:

Been it that same situation, except not on a brand new bike (just a very expensive modified one). Don't focus on bike replacement and settle too quickly. I am Glad you both are still with us. Keep the focus on healing and when you feel completely well, wait for some barometer swings to see if it brings back any pain that may result from a permanent injury.

Best wishes for your recovery, give yourselves time to heal.

jb

ffltjeff

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »

I am very glad you lived to write about it, life can change quickly.  Hope you have a speedy and full recovery
2013 FLHTCUSE8
V&H Power Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, SERT
Progressive 444 shocks, Progressive Cartridge Fork Kit
Windsplitter windshield

metfancowboy

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 12:58:57 AM »

Terrible to hear,but at least you both survived.

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC 8
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 07:49:09 AM »

Glad to hear your both going to be ok what a scary ride. Your story really made me cringe as I re married about 4 years ago and my wife just loves to ride.  We traded up from a road king to an Ultra CVO and are planning a few longer trips.  Something I've started to worry more about is we have 4 kids at home now.  I've always ridden smart and have been formate to stay up right for all these years of riding.  With the wife spending a lot of time on the back now and all the stupid drivers out there, makes me think about having her on there as much.  I wish you speedy recovery and the guys at St Charles Harley have been great place to work with myself since they took over a few years ago. 

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »

SMDH... Thank GOD you and your wife are OK. Prayers.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultracvo14

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »

So very glad that injuries were no worse!!!!

horndog10

Re: UPDATE - My 2014 CVO Limited - Only 20 hours together!
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 12:46:31 AM »

Great news!  My insurance company (who have been absolutely terrific) have completed the claim and forwarded a check to me for the replacement cost of the new bike including the accessories on the original bike, riding gear we were wearing at the time of the accident (jackets, boots, gloves), helmets, sales tax & setup / dealer fees. 

We were lucky enough to find another blue CVO Limited locally, and are going to complete the transaction this Saturday.  Obviously, we won't be able to ride the bike for awhile, but they will be delivering the bike to us so we can at least spend some time installing the accessories and just spending some quality time together while the healing process continues  :)

Again, I can not say enough about Esurance - no less than 4 different employees are handling different aspects of the claim, and they are in contact at least every 48 hours.  They even call just to see how we are doing and if there is anything else they can do to help us.  I truly have not experienced this level of customer service in years. 

As an FYI, I had just switched to them when I bought the new bike; our policy was only 18 1/2 hours old at the time of the accident!

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 06:46:41 AM »

Congratulations!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 06:56:49 AM »

All the best in your recovery and I am pleased to read that matters are progressing.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 11:59:29 AM »

So glad to hear your on the mend and have a great insurance company. When that happened to us in Ohio, State Farm just let us fend for ourselves with no help from any local agent. It worked out in the end but if I didn't have the resources we would have ended up staying there for several days instead of driving home. The nice volunteers at the emergency room drove us to the local airport over an hour away with all our gear to get a rental car and get home before the whiplash and other symptoms became severe. 

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
Re: UPDATE - My 2014 CVO Limited - Only 20 hours together!
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »

Great news!  My insurance company (who have been absolutely terrific) have completed the claim and forwarded a check to me for the replacement cost of the new bike including the accessories on the original bike, riding gear we were wearing at the time of the accident (jackets, boots, gloves), helmets, sales tax & setup / dealer fees. 

We were lucky enough to find another blue CVO Limited locally, and are going to complete the transaction this Saturday.  Obviously, we won't be able to ride the bike for awhile, but they will be delivering the bike to us so we can at least spend some time installing the accessories and just spending some quality time together while the healing process continues  :)

Again, I can not say enough about Esurance - no less than 4 different employees are handling different aspects of the claim, and they are in contact at least every 48 hours.  They even call just to see how we are doing and if there is anything else they can do to help us.  I truly have not experienced this level of customer service in years. 

As an FYI, I had just switched to them when I bought the new bike; our policy was only 18 1/2 hours old at the time of the accident!

I am glad you two are healing and resolved the property damage component of your claim.  Esurance is an Allstate company that I believe was formed to allow the consumers to bypass the agent in the purchasing process. They will of course subrogate against the at fault driver's carrier to get their money back and hopefully your deductible.   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »

Sorry to read of your misfortune at the hands of that young moron. Good news to read of the rapid and proper response from Esurance. We have Allstate, and I hope they are this good if we should ever need it.

Glad to read that you and your wife are on the mend, and hopefully you will be riding your replacement bike soon!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »

Sorry to read of your misfortune at the hands of that young moron. Good news to read of the rapid and proper response from Esurance. We have Allstate, and I hope they are this good if we should ever need it.

Glad to read that you and your wife are on the mend, and hopefully you will be riding your replacement bike soon!

Ken

I think insurance company performance is much like MOCO dealership performance.  A lot depends on your local agent and the folks from headquarters assigned to your case.  When I totaled my 6 month old 2004 SEEG by hitting a deer back in 04, I had a check from Progressive Insurance for $500 more than I paid for the bike in my hand less than one week after the accident.  Incredibly good performance, but I credit the agent assigned to my case for the results.  My accident was on a Sunday.  He inspected my bike the following Tuesday.  He hand delivered a check to my house the following Friday evening, 5 days after the accident.   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 07:54:22 AM »

So glade the wife and you will be ok, wish you and the wife the best and hope you get the new ride soon. You never know when something will happen !!!
DND

Yzernie

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE that had the engine blow up twice.
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 04:59:48 PM »

Thankfully, you're alive to see another day.  Damn kids!!
"The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it" - Unknown

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 05:27:45 PM »

A similar thing happened to me a year ago.  Two weeks after trading in my '12 SG for a '13 Ultra, I was rear ended by a car full of 18 year olds.  A broken foot and $11,000 worth of damage was a lot better outcome than what could have been, had I not been very lucky.  I had Progressive Insurance, and they were excellent to work with.  Of course, the kid who hit me was driving his mom's car, and was uninsured.

Glad to hear you're okay, and will be back on the road soon!

Dan

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 09:22:20 AM »

I am so glad to hear you will be OK and that the insurance did as they should! My wife and I ride two up all the time and sold her bike since she rarely rode hers.  I hate that you had this happen to you. I feel I drive very defensively but then something like this can always happen.  It is always a worry and we have had some very close calls but have been very lucky so far!! I have had some small incidents over the years but not a major accident. I am impressed that both of you are ready to jump back on so quickly!  I love riding and don't ever want to stop. BTW I have the same blue 2014 CVO Limited and love it!     
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 24 queries.