Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does the 2014 CVO Deluxe have a BCM?  (Read 2682 times)

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
Does the 2014 CVO Deluxe have a BCM?
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:29:22 PM »

My wife's '14 Deluxe spot lights keep turning off.  The only way I have found to get them back on is to simply shut the bike off, then immediately turn it back on and they work. (for a while)  I'm starting to think this may be a BCM issue if the bike has one.  If it was a loose connection or bare wire, I don't understand why shutting the off then back on would fix it.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Does the 2014 CVO Deluxe have a BCM?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:15:56 PM »

Yes, there is a BCM since it's a CAN bus (HD-LAN) electrical system.  It sounds like the circuit protection is kicking in, and when you shut the bike off it resets.  Kind of like an automatic circuit breaker.  I'd suggest checking for diagnostic trouble codes, since the system should have set a code or codes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:23:58 AM »

Thanks Jerry, Thats kind of what I thought may be happening.  However, the bike is not throwing any codes, well at least the "Check Engine light" is not coming on...  Another issue may be I've gone through about 6 tail lights in this thing.  I'm starting to think it may be related....
  My problem is that it is intermittent so if I take it to a dealer, he probably won't find anything...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:56:46 AM »

Thanks Jerry, Thats kind of what I thought may be happening.  However, the bike is not throwing any codes, well at least the "Check Engine light" is not coming on...  Another issue may be I've gone through about 6 tail lights in this thing.  I'm starting to think it may be related....
  My problem is that it is intermittent so if I take it to a dealer, he probably won't find anything...

If you're familiar with wiring diagrams and circuit testing you might want to consider buying the Electrical and Diagnostic Manual for the bike and doing your own investigation.  You may very well have an intermittent short in a harness or component part, and tracking those down can take a lot of time and patience plus a logical plan of attack, something not normally found in a Harley dealership.  Try to determine if the failures (tail light and/or spots) only occur under particular operating conditions, such as when you encounter large bumps or when the bars are turned all the way to one side or the other, etc.  Often it comes down to narrowing the search based on observation of the conditions when the failure occurs, then doing wiggle tests of connections and harnesses until you find the fault.

Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 25 queries.