Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Drying bike with Harley Hog Blaster  (Read 15313 times)

mikevc

Drying bike with Harley Hog Blaster
« on: September 30, 2012, 11:28:45 PM »

:-\

mikevc

Drying bike with Harley Hog Blaster
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 11:35:06 PM »

Well I was going to put somewords in this spot but fat fingers hit again.
Ok now has any one used the Harley brand Hog air blaster to dry there bike
after washed?
 sorry about my fist post .

Thanks in advance
    Mike
    Bakersfield,Ca

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
Re: Drying bike with Harley Hog Blaster
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 11:43:03 PM »

I have a brand new one still in the box that I won at a raffle.  I porbably should sell it.  I use an electric 150mph leaf blower, have used it for about 8 years, works great to get the excell water off.  Does not 'dry' the bike.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:50:37 AM »

Don't waste your money.  Any leaf blower can do the job.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 07:45:38 AM »

I have a Stihl leaf blower that works great and it even orange....
Bill

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 07:52:02 AM »

Leaf blower is the way to go.  Been using one for years.  You have to make sure the intake is clean before you begin but other than that, it's a winner.  Not only can you blow off your hawg, you can blow off the porch, driveway, etc.  Can't say that about the Hog Blaster... :2vrolijk_21:

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 03:33:45 PM »

While I do have a leaf blower... I'd check first, the quality of the outcoming air... mines a gas operated blower.  I'd suspect an electric one would be the way to go.   :2vrolijk_21:

I was outside at the laundry vent's exhaust, using the leaf blower to clean out the duct from the dryer.  When I came back inside to clean up the mess in the laundry room, my Carbon Monoxide detector was in Alarm... triggering of course all my linked smoke detectors.

Poor Dogs didn't know all they had to do to escape the noise was to run outside.

Must be some part of the engines exhaust mixing with the blower's output... don't know what that would do to the finish on Chrome or Paint.

Just a thought.  8)

"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »

Take a look at the Air Shammy.  I've used a leaf blower (gas), and while it will get it done, it awkward to hold and manuever...for me at least.  Plus, it sucks in exhaust and whatever else is in the air.  The Air Shammy has a long flexible hose with a reducing nozzle on the end (flexible rubber), filters the big particles out of the air, and heats the air a bit from pulling it across the electric motor.  If you use distilled water in a garden sprayer, or de-ionized water for a final rinse, all you have to do is blow it dry with the Air Shammy and no rubbing required.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »

Used leaf blower for three years then wised up and bought the Air Shammy. Smart move, warm air with less noise... Just my .02...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 07:12:23 PM »

If you have a shop vacuum, and if it has an exhaust port that can be connected to a hose, I submit this is a much better approach than any leaf blower.  I have a Craftsman 16 gallon vac that allows a hose to be attached to the exhaust port, and it works just like those little dryers various companies sell that also put out filtered air.  The advantage is I don't have to buy another tool to take up more space in the garage.  Btw, I have a dedicated small diameter hose with a crevice nozzle attached that is only used for drying the bike.  It doesn't do much good to pump filtered air through a dirty hose before you blast it onto your paint.

I don't know that I'd trust a leaf blower, considering all the gunk and dirt that flows through those things, and they tend to be a lot harder to maneuver than a simple hose attached to the vac.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »

I have a smaller shop vac that is for liquid as well, not the average shop vac, very high pressure. It is perfect for me.
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
  • Ride Hard Or Stay Home!
    • LA

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTS
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 09:19:07 PM »

I use a Metro Air Force Master Blaster with two (2) four (4) hp motors.  It creates enough heat through friction that it completely dries your bike.  You will not need to wipe anything!  I'm very particular about getting my bikes absolutely dry.  This unit works great!  I tried leaf blowers but they don't work even close to this machine!  It is a little pricey.  I see them online now for $335.00.  That's less than I paid for mine several years ago!  I use it to dry my caged vehicles as well.  If it broke tomorrow, I'd buy another one!  You don't have to use both motors but it does create more power and heat using both at the same time.  Just don't let go of the rubber hose or you might find yourself running for the switch to turn it off!  Great product!
Remember, you have to care where you are to be lost.  Enjoy the ride!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »

If you have a shop vacuum, and if it has an exhaust port that can be connected to a hose, I submit this is a much better approach than any leaf blower.  I have a Craftsman 16 gallon vac that allows a hose to be attached to the exhaust port, and it works just like those little dryers various companies sell that also put out filtered air.  The advantage is I don't have to buy another tool to take up more space in the garage.  Btw, I have a dedicated small diameter hose with a crevice nozzle attached that is only used for drying the bike.  It doesn't do much good to pump filtered air through a dirty hose before you blast it onto your paint.

I don't know that I'd trust a leaf blower, considering all the gunk and dirt that flows through those things, and they tend to be a lot harder to maneuver than a simple hose attached to the vac.

Jerry

Another excellent way to dry the bike.   :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

sloride

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »

Take a look at the Air Shammy.  I've used a leaf blower (gas), and while it will get it done, it awkward to hold and manuever...for me at least.  Plus, it sucks in exhaust and whatever else is in the air.  The Air Shammy has a long flexible hose with a reducing nozzle on the end (flexible rubber), filters the big particles out of the air, and heats the air a bit from pulling it across the electric motor.  If you use distilled water in a garden sprayer, or de-ionized water for a final rinse, all you have to do is blow it dry with the Air Shammy and no rubbing required.

distilled water in a garden sprayer...Genius...why the hell have I never thought of that...sometimes I feel dumb as a rock

Thanks Midnight Rider...headed for Home Depot this evening
2013 RGC CVO (Bevo)
2013 RGC (Da Reaper)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »

distilled water in a garden sprayer...Genius...why the hell have I never thought of that...sometimes I feel dumb as a rock

Thanks Midnight Rider...headed for Home Depot this evening

I can't take credit for that...I learned it from a prior discussion about water spotting, here on this site.  I have hard water here in Alabama, so it spots terribly.  But it does work, and you can do a final rinse from the top down with about 1/2 - 2/3 of a gallon.  Glad to pass the information on though... :2vrolijk_21:

I'm not sure how the cost factor plays out compared to buying a deionizer system.  The old Mr. Clean things worked well, but they don't make 'em any more, though you can still find some cartridges on E-Bay.  Kind of pricey though.  And you can spend a LOT of money on a full blow system.  Griot's Garage has a cannister system that has quick connectors so that you can stick it on the hosepipe for a final rinse, but the replacement cartridges are about $100.  Don't know how long one would last.  Distilled water is cheap enough, and I can pick up a gallon or two at the grocery store when needed.

That's the beautiful part of this site...somebody's already been there and done that on so many things, you can "save money" with a little reasearch reading.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.