Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: 103 and Race Tuner drivability question  (Read 4969 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
103 and Race Tuner drivability question
« on: November 11, 2006, 02:11:13 PM »

Electric Glide with the FatBoy map, with changes to the map as recommend here, decel enleanment and AFR changes.

I noticed this mostly in Maggie Valley. This condition presents itself when running in the torque range, somewhere between 2800 - 3500 rpm.

A lot of my riding was done in the lower gears to take advantage of the torque. When I would roll back on the throttle from a coast the bike would seem to hesitate just for a fraction of a second and then "jump" right up. This made for some uncomfortable riding at times with the surge of power, especially with the  back seat helmet.

Sound familiar? Any ideas?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: 103 and Race Tuner drivability question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 04:03:03 PM »

Porthole,

First idea would be the fuel pump option and to add a bit more fuel there.  2nd idea would be to get a professional tune to fit your exact bike over a generic tune for all bikes, 3rd idea would be to try someone elses map.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:42:18 PM »

Electric Glide with the FatBoy map, with changes to the map as recommend here, decel enleanment and AFR changes.

I noticed this mostly in Maggie Valley. This condition presents itself when running in the torque range, somewhere between 2800 - 3500 rpm.

A lot of my riding was done in the lower gears to take advantage of the torque. When I would roll back on the throttle from a coast the bike would seem to hesitate just for a fraction of a second and then "jump" right up. This made for some uncomfortable riding at times with the surge of power, especially with the
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:27:51 PM »

Another question would be which injectors do you have?

Have you tried running a 93 octane with an injector cleaner in the gas or some 100 octane sunoco or other?  After the tank replace the spark plugs.   Try and run the bike in the 3000 to 4500 range for a while on a long straight this will force the injectors to really pump and if there is something blocking them up it might just free them up.   If you have the 8 degree's consider swapping them for 25 degree injectors.   Any trouble codes being shot to the ECM?  Someone on here probably has a map they could send you based on your configuration that you could try and see if you still have the issue another good comparison.

-harry

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 10:44:24 PM »

Another question would be which injectors do you have?

Have you tried running a 93 octane with an injector cleaner in the gas or some 100 octane sunoco or other?

MV 2013

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 11:36:49 PM »

Port do you have the map you have in the bike saved somewhere if you do I can send you the map 2 maps from my 05 cherry you can try if you want.

Have you taken a look at the spark plugs and are you sure the gap is right and have you ever tried the autolite plugs?   Check them for a lot of crud around the firing pin.

Chevron and Shell / BP~Amoco are the 3 best out there rated wise.   I try to run those 3 as well 93 all the time.

If you want the maps please email me at cvoseeg@bellsouth.net

-harry

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 04:50:43 AM »

Port do you have the map you have in the bike saved somewhere if you do I can send you the map 2 maps from my 05 cherry you can try if you want.

Have you taken a look at the spark plugs and are you sure the gap is right and have you ever tried the autolite plugs?   Check them for a lot of crud around the firing pin.

Chevron and Shell / BP~Amoco are the 3 best out there rated wise.   I try to run those 3 as well 93 all the time.

-harry

Port, I also have a  SERT map, done on a dyno  for my SEEG, Stock Motor, Hi Flow A/C , Fatcat. Be glad to send it your way.. Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 10:01:54 AM »

Sounds EXACTLY like my '05 SEEG when I tried a set of SE Split Fire plugs....when got up to temp....on throttle roll on from a coast..I got a bad hesitation. wouldnt call it a miss.
When home and put the stock plugs back in and all was well.

GARY
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 10:10:32 AM by syclone »
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 01:29:48 PM »

I've been experiencing the same thing after a custom map when I changed to a FatCat. On Decel from 4K or 3K, the bike feels like it dies, kinda makes a gurguling (sp) sound, then when it hits 1500rpm, it all of a sudden jumps back on just about the time you want to stop. If you try to give it throttle during this decel, you almost have to force it, not smooth anymore at all. The tuner is a certified RT guy, but after two tries, it still sucks. My mileage went from an average of 38 to 30 also. I really didn't like the FatCat anyway, so I'll probably go back to true duals.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 10:55:30 PM »

The sensation your noticing on decel from higher (3k up) rpm is called decel enleanment.  When the ECM senses a high vacuum condition on decel, which you would have under those conditions, it reduces the injector pulse to lean out the mixture.  The purpose is to reduce emissions, and it is something you can feel and hear even with a stock bike.  It feels and sounds like the engine isn't actually firing, and when the rpm's drop below approximately 1800 you can hear and feel the engine return to normal. The hesitation when reapplying throttle, however, is not normal.

With a SERT, you can modify the enleanment values separately from the rest of the map.  Reducing the amount of "enleanment" will reduce the on / off effect.  This table can also be used to reduce exhaust popping.

Suggestion:  Try the sparkplug suggestion first - I've also heard of other folks having issues with the SE Splitfire plugs.  If the problem persists with new standard plugs, look at the enleanment tables.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 03:37:40 PM »

I forgot to mention don't use the split fires .. havent had any decent results with them, try the autolite or even the platinum, but forget the split fires.   On a real hot motor 95 / 103 etc setup you can even try a plug one level cooler which would be the V-Rod plugs.   All in all it sounds more like you have a decell / lean issue then you pop the throttle and get the hesitation and that is really due to TUNING or a really fouled out plug or a clogged injector, but more than likely the first 2 of the 3.

-harry

I also have a map or 2 I can share if you have a base map you can put back in the bike, only thing is if you use the maps or play around please DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR Bike while UPLOADING THE MAP.

Not sure what the remedy is yet if you do this, but were soon to find out.
Either it can be remapped back to factory and that is good or

NEW ECM and NEW SERT ... ouch expensive.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 05:15:25 PM »

SE Split Fire plugs....

H'mm that is interesting, I'll have to take a look at he plugs, I'm not sure which plugs i put in, the split or platinum.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 05:25:51 PM »

1. The sensation your noticing on decel from higher (3k up) rpm is called decel enleanment.

It feels and sounds like the engine isn't actually firing, and when the rpm's drop below approximately 1800 you can hear and feel the engine return to normal. The hesitation when reapplying throttle, however, is not normal.

2.  With a SERT, you can modify the enleanment values separately from the rest of the map.

1. That was my first thought, and it feels like a low fuel issue. But when it does start to come back on it is like nothing was wrong, just a strong pull. I am only talking about light throttle roll on here too. It was most noticeable when I was trying to be "real smooth" with my wife on the back.

2.  I have already modified the enleanment, cut all the numbers in half, trying to minimize the popping
and I also lowered any AFR that was above 14 to 14 or 13.9, whatever the program would take.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 05:29:26 PM »

try the autolite or even the platinum,

Interesting. When I use to run my car at the track I always used Autolite plugs because they seemed to hold up the best in my Mopar. That for a misfire problem under high loads, high RPM's. But because they lasted so well on the track I used them all the time.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 05:31:42 PM »

DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR Bike while UPLOADING THE MAP.

Not sure what the remedy is yet if you do this, but were soon to find out

I think I know what the remedy is and it isn't a pretty sight. From what I have been told anyway. Hopefully it is just a viscous rumor.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »

-harry

Harry,

I forgot, you already sent me a file awhile ago, but I can't use it. Is an MT6 file and my RT only reads MT2 and MT5.

MV 2013

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 09:43:45 PM »

...   only thing is if you use the maps or play around please DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR Bike while UPLOADING THE MAP.

Not sure what the remedy is yet if you do this, but were soon to find out.
Either it can be remapped back to factory and that is good or

NEW ECM and NEW SERT ... ouch expensive.

Good advice, Harry.  Wow, that is a dumb thing to do.  Wonder what would cause a person to do that?  Distracted, maybe?  Well, that person will find out.  I'll bet his bike is at the shop right now. It'd be like being in a prison and saying "be gentle". [smiley=nervous.gif]
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 11:34:49 PM »

Wow, that is a dumb thing to do.

MV 2013

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 01:29:32 AM »

Porthole so you need an MT5 file huh .... I think I can fix that for you ...  Give me a day or two and I will recovert it back for you to an MT5 File.  What year is the bike 04 or 05 it matters which tables I put it into for the base map.

-harry

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 01:34:29 AM »

Jerry what a way with words ...  btw my race tuner arrived today and well now I am just waiting on wednesday to arrive, so I can order my rineharts with the bungs.

I have heard tell of dealerships tuning bikes and lets say the o2 narrows were removed from the bikes.   Anyone know of any 96" or 110's doing this the only downside I can see from it is the rear cylinder wont go into cool down mode when you do this.   Anyone else know of any other ill effects other than the computer leaning out the motor at under 30percent throttle?

Like being in prison and saying be gentle now that is what a signature is all about ...

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 02:33:54 PM »

Harry, I like your new signature! ;)

Porthole, to make sure you understand... it wasn't Harry that shut off his ignition, I shut MINE off.
I knew better, but a moment's brain-fart, and...POOF[smiley=vrolijk27.gif].  It was only off for a split-second because as soon as I did it, I realized what I'd done.  Anyway, the only thing the SERT is seeing now is the ECM i.d.... no VIN, no program.  I'll bet NO ONE in this forum has done that.  

Head Tech at the dealership gave me a nice 'deer in the headlights' :o look when I explained it to him.
Dealer has the bike now (Harleyworth Prison. . .I hope they're gentle).

I'll let y'all know what the cure is and how much it co$t$.  Like I told Harry, Techtip: The longer you have to wait for the bad news, the more you're willing to pay for the cure.

Jerrythescrewedfool
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 02:40:41 PM »

Garz,

I actually thought it was a lot funnier, when Porthole thought I did that.  

I do like the new sig though ...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 04:09:48 PM »

Harry, I like your new signature! ;)

Porthole, to make sure you understand... it wasn't Harry that shut off his ignition, I shut MINE off.
I knew better, but a moment's brain-fart, and...POOF[smiley=vrolijk27.gif].
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 06:03:37 PM »

Jerry,
Sorry for your "inconvenience", but I had no idea that this situation/dilemma could occur. So the fact that you are sharing this with us may save someone the misfortune of it happening to him or her in the future. Along with for me personally thinking I should never get a laptop and try to fool around with maps for my scooter.

Harry you know well I'm dangerous as can be with a few tools in my hand, and don't need to be messing w/no computer and my scooter. :o Scooter alone I'm semi-safe, computer alone I'm reasonably secure, but the two together is a disaster waiting to happen. [smiley=nervous.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

;D
d00d,  same here. I shoulda/coulda left it alone, but NOOOOO, I have to piddle with things. [smiley=oops.gif]  I just got frustrated that my scoot wouldn't run right, and thought that maybe, just MAYBE I could . . . .  Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I mean, what if I actually did it? That would have been cool!  sigh.

Jerry

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 08:41:19 PM »

I'll bet NO ONE in this forum has done that.

MV 2013

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 08:53:52 PM »

Sounds like a good excuse to me to  chitcan the factory ECM and SERT and upgrade to the Thundermax and AutoTune... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:54:40 PM by icybay »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 09:18:26 PM »

Nah only shelf them so when you have to go in for something serious you can just put the ECM back on with the SERT map in and void nuthin.

Unless of course you turn off the ECM while putting the map in then your in for some really painful experiences ... but I digress anyone know if Garz is walking funny they were supposed to be looking at his bike this evening or tomorrow?

/sends Garz a kiss we all know harley isnt going to do that for him.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »

Sounds like a good excuse to me to  chitcan the factory ECM and SERT and upgrade to the Thundermax and AutoTune... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Icy... great minds think alike! I had the exact same thought, but my new ST 2:1 doesn't have O2 bungs.  It's like I got thrown in prison so fast I didn't have time to think about any 'protection'.  ;D :o

. . .
Unless of course you turn off the ECM while putting the map in then your in for some really painful experiences ... but I digress anyone know if Garz is walking funny they were supposed to be looking at his bike this evening or tomorrow?

/sends Garz a kiss we all know harley isnt going to do that for him.
Yer all heart, Harry :-*. Got the call this morning, and later today I'll be walking funny, alright.  Tech came in real early today to get to my bike.  Said there's nothing to be done with that ECM ("fried", I believe was the word). I don't know what all he tried, but the service writer was telling me that he was 'switching ECMs around' just to verify the verdict. (wonder if he tried my SERT with another ECM?)  
So, new ECM, new SERT, and a download = $1,100+ [smiley=skull.gif], and it'll be ready this afternoon.
 Then I mentioned to service writer that I should wait 'till "Double Points Tuesday" and get double rebate points... she said "No waiting, I'll give 'em to you today." (rebate system at dealer, gives you points equivalent to 10% rebate, spendable at the dealership) So, I got equivalent of 20% off.  Naples Dealership really tries to do what they can, especially for dumbasses like me. I did it to myself, and no, it didn't feel good. :-[

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 04:01:43 PM »

Garz,

That does sting a bit.   At least you will be back to running.   When did you say that tuning session with Wes is ?   Are you headed up my way before then or are you done dinking around with the SERT until you get it tuned at Cycle Rama?

At least you can ride this weekend, just sucks they put you on the back burner for 4 days.   Only takes 10 minutes to put in a new ECM and 10 more to program in the new race tuner.

Glad your back up and running,

-harry

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »

A lot of my riding was done in the lower gears to take advantage of the torque. When I would roll back on the throttle from a coast the bike would seem to hesitate just for a fraction of a second and then "jump" right up. This made for some uncomfortable riding at times with the surge of power, especially with the
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2006, 12:33:54 AM »

Magicl1,

First thing I would suggest is making sure which injectors you have in the bike whether they are 8 degree or the 25 degree injectors.  If they are the 8 degree I would suggest getting the 25's if you have the 25's then you should be ok.  At least that way your not tuning around possible issues.  I would really only be worry about the 8 degrees of timing showing up with detonation or pinging on the top end, but depending on where it was to begin with and went up 8 degrees that can be a lot again just depends.  If you have detonation other places I would definately look into having it retuned.  Also with a bore scope you can take a look at the top of the pistons and see if there is any signs of detonation which may help you in this process.  

What are your gm/sec for the map that is loaded right now?  3.91 or 4.35 or other.   is your CID set to 103.1.  These are bout found under Tuning Constants

I am presuming your talking about 141mp002-a1.mt6 file.  #36 on the OEM calibration file Information pdf.

I am also interested if they just used the map and changed up the fuel or volumetrics a little bit and got you a flat line?  Or did he level out the fuel at all 13 and then tune by volumetrics ..

-harry

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 09:56:30 PM »

Magicl1,

First thing I would suggest is making sure which injectors you have in the bike whether they are 8 degree or the 25 degree injectors.
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 07:47:30 PM »

My whole situation was a thread-jack, and I apologize, but to give a final report on the bottom line of my stupidity:
$726.90, but I get a 20% store rebate, too.  Replaced ECM and SERT, downloaded basic program, then SERT #13 (where it was originally). Charged me for SERT and download, and 1.5 hrs labor, but didn't charge me for the ECM, so I got off somewhat cheaper.  He had some issue with an ECM and SERT he was trying to install, and that took some time. I wonder if I got a used ECM?  I don't care... it runs again! (with the exact same issues, though).

It'll be going to Wes 12/12... dealer trucks it up and back.  Harry, I'll be dinking with it before CycleRama! hehe... some people never learn.  All I have to remember is DON'T SHUT OFF BEFORE FINISHED!

Once again, sorry for the threadjack.
Garz

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006, 08:31:44 PM »

Once again, sorry for the threadjack.
Garz

Well Garz

Although I already knew of this issue, this thread was certainly acceptable to hijack, in case someone else here didn't know and tried one of the suggestions as they popped up.

I suggest your penitence for hijacking be
    1 new ECM
    1 new SERT
    1 dose of "DOH!"

« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 08:32:44 PM by porthole2 »

MV 2013

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 08:57:29 PM »

Well Garz

I suggest your penitence for hijacking be
    1 new ECM  
check
1 new SERT       check
1 dose of "DOH!"  check[/list]  

[smiley=drink.gif] for the thread author at the next CVO gathering.Double check![/list]

Glad to hear the bike will be fine. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Thanks! And, when I rode it home with the SuperTrapps... I loved the sound!!  :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 21 queries.