Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: DRIVING LIGHT INFO NEEDED  (Read 2900 times)

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
DRIVING LIGHT INFO NEEDED
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »

Did anyone come up with an idea or know if there is any way to mount driving lights where the existing turn signals are???

I don't want turn signals there as I am installing the Yaffe LED turn signals in the windshield trim.

Thanks and pictures would be great.

Rich
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
Re: DRIVING LIGHT INFO NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 11:18:40 AM »

Call Headwinds:

http://www.headwinds.com/

I am sure they can make you driving lights without the turn signals.

I am using their 2" spot lights and 1 3/8" turn signals which mount where the original turn signals are (spots turned on by spot switch mounted in console...just tell them you dont want the turn signals and want the spots to mount in the stock turn signal location...works great by the way):

http://www.headwinds.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=headwinds01&Category_Code=01020213

Here is my set up:

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:19:21 AM »

2nd pic:

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 12:15:38 PM »

2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »

Rich, 

Are those the stock headlamps on your RG?  Not to  :jack:  but I've had the HID's for years and never felt a need for driving or passing lamps or even my brights, for that matter.  Same reports from guys with the newer but price LED's.  Just a thought.... 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:47:39 PM »

Rich, 

Are those the stock headlamps on your RG?  Not to  :jack:  but I've had the HID's for years and never felt a need for driving or passing lamps or even my brights, for that matter.  Same reports from guys with the newer but price LED's.  Just a thought.... 

GK

Led's.

just dark in the corners around here.  Could use a little more side lighting.
2013 FLTRXSE2

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:23:23 PM »

And you can order the Headwinds spotlights with either the stock 35 watt halogen's or the optional 50 watts.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 07:35:02 PM »

I think Custom Dynamics has a new set up to retro your turn signals into driving lites  and turn signals u replace the lens to clear and their new LED bulbs that blink red when activated  ,,, they also have a white LED bulb that will blink white with the clear lens installed....

dp

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 11:00:29 PM »

Installed the  Headwinds driving light and turn signal also. Not for seeing at night but to be seen in daytime. LED lights are great at night but not very visible in daytime.
2013 CVO Roadglide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 07:55:34 AM »

I think Custom Dynamics has a new set up to retro your turn signals into driving lites  and turn signals u replace the lens to clear and their new LED bulbs that blink red when activated  ,,, they also have a white LED bulb that will blink white with the clear lens installed....

The problem with using the oem turn signals with any type of retro fit bulb is they are not adjustable. IMO that is pointless as you still can't get the light where YOU want it. The Headwinds spot lights are available in a 2" version without the attached turn signal's. Using their mount allows for up and down as well as side to side adjustment. It appears Headwinds offers 3 different bulbs with 2 different wattages and two different beam angles. If my memory serves me correct the amp draw of the 3 different bulbs were 4.6, 10, and 11 (roughly). The hi wattage bulbs really take some juice to illuminate. Now I imagine that the are few companies making auxiliary spot/ driving lights for the Road Glide, I only looked into Headwinds so far.

IMO opinion these LED headlights are not all that. Without a doubt they are bright and do a good job of illuminating the road in front of you. What they don't do is illuminate the shoulders of the road. When going into a corner the light pattern is very specific and it leaves the ground in a hard lean. I'm looking to add supplemental light to eliminate this. I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling running into a corner at 80 mph and loosing my light.

As for led lights not being very bright during the day, lmao. I have found just the opposite, I can pick a vehicle out of a line of cars with led headlights from a good distance. Now the spots may be a different story as they are not intended to shoot down the road but rather flood the road directly in front of the vehicle.

I saw Rich coming up the road last week from as far as my old eyes could see. Actually I think I heard him coming first!  :-D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:01:45 AM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 10:08:50 AM »

The problem with using the oem turn signals with any type of retro fit bulb is they are not adjustable. IMO that is pointless as you still can't get the light where YOU want it. The Headwinds spot lights are available in a 2" version without the attached turn signal's. Using their mount allows for up and down as well as side to side adjustment. It appears Headwinds offers 3 different bulbs with 2 different wattages and two different beam angles. If my memory serves me correct the amp draw of the 3 different bulbs were 4.6, 10, and 11 (roughly). The hi wattage bulbs really take some juice to illuminate. Now I imagine that the are few companies making auxiliary spot/ driving lights for the Road Glide, I only looked into Headwinds so far.

IMO opinion these LED headlights are not all that. Without a doubt they are bright and do a good job of illuminating the road in front of you. What they don't do is illuminate the shoulders of the road. When going into a corner the light pattern is very specific and it leaves the ground in a hard lean. I'm looking to add supplemental light to eliminate this. I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling running into a corner at 80 mph and loosing my light.

As for led lights not being very bright during the day, lmao. I have found just the opposite, I can pick a vehicle out of a line of cars with led headlights from a good distance. Now the spots may be a different story as they are not intended to shoot down the road but rather flood the road directly in front of the vehicle.

I saw Rich coming up the road last week from as far as my old eyes could see. Actually I think I heard him coming first!  :-D

Really, again with the LOUD comment!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2vrolijk_21:
2013 FLTRXSE2

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »

I've seen these on a RGU in person and am really thinking hard about them.

http://www.motolight.com/motolight_motorcycle_lights_for_harleys

Owner is a Motor Officer in Pittsburgh and really likes them. I'm just saving up for them now as they're not cheap. They actually mount down by the calipers so they turn with the front tire.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »

Motolights are great lights, they really emit some light. The downside IMO is they look like absolute crap mounted to the forks, an afterthought approach. Really? They couldn't come up with a better mounting option? Crash bar mounted would look a little better IMO. I imagine mounted that far forward and to the forks makes them the most effective however the looks.....
2023 CVO Road Glide

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »

Motolights are great lights, they really emit some light. The downside IMO is they look like absolute crap mounted to the forks, an afterthought approach. Really? They couldn't come up with a better mounting option? Crash bar mounted would look a little better IMO. I imagine mounted that far forward and to the forks makes them the most effective however the looks.....
The ones I saw actually mounted to the caliper using longer caliper bolts. I had to look twice at them to see that. Spending the extra $$$ for the chrome ones would help some.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »

The ones I saw actually mounted to the caliper using longer caliper bolts. I had to look twice at them to see that. Spending the extra $$$ for the chrome ones would help some.
LOL ummmm chrome.....
2023 CVO Road Glide
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.