Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motorcyclist deaths spike as helmet laws loosen - USA Today  (Read 1117 times)

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
Motorcyclist deaths spike as helmet laws loosen - USA Today
« on: March 27, 2008, 06:59:39 PM »

'Motorcyclist deaths spike as helmet laws loosen....'   

This is some interesting reading.   A couple stats that I had not seen before:  Half of those killed lost control and crashed without colliding with another vehicle.  Motorcyclists account for about 2% of vehicles on the road but 10% of all traffic fatalities, according to federal statistics.  Prior to this, I would have bet large money that collisions would have caused significantly more than 50% of fatalities.

More:....Nearly half of motorcyclists killed in 2006 were 40 and older, and nearly a quarter were 50 or older. The average age of those killed was about 38.  Transportation officials say the age trends reflect the growing popularity of motorcycles among older people with increasing incomes but decreasing physical dexterity and reaction times.

Our Southern neighbors happen to lead the list per capita....as one would come to expect because of near year round riding conditions.   

You might click on the Comments blog for responses to the article...some interesting ones in there.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-26-bikehelmets_N.htm

Ride safe bros.....
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Motorcyclist deaths spike as helmet laws loosen - USA Today
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 07:16:47 PM »

Thanks for the link.

And so it continues.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:08:12 PM »

I would have guessed the rise in solo deaths was a lower age group on sport bikes.  There I go stereotyping again.....

Couple years ago here, a guy left a local Harley dealer with his brand new bike and crashed and was killed on his way home with it.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:12:25 PM »

Thanks for the link.

And so it continues.

How true...I live in a state that requires that motorcyclists wear a helmet and I hope that the law in my state changes some day so it becomes an individuals choice. While I feel that most people would continue to wear helmets for safety reasons, it would still be nice to have the freedom of choice.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 10:12:14 AM »

I am all for personal choice.

Having now dumped me and the BSR off in Nelson last summer (after 40 years without hitting the dirt) I only need the 3" scrape on her helmet to remind me just how lucky we were and how fortunate to have the helmet.

Accidents are exactly that.  We never know when they will occur, but it was literally the first day Cindy had not worn a long sleeve shirt when riding.  She was encouraged by seeing many folks in T's and muscle shirts.  Naturally in addition to the helmet getting banged up she did to with some minor road rash.

She won't make that mistake again.  A light weight long sleeve T would have made the difference. 

My newly found saying that I like so much applies here too.

"It's not that life is so short.....It's that you are dead so long"

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 07:42:08 PM »

+1 on that statement.
I live in Wisconsin, and we have a choice. I am a HD HOG Road Captain, and I pay attention to stats,
and when I see a death by motorcycle, it seems 90% of the time it's without a helmet.
I agree, it should be up to the individual, but it just seems the numbers are ALWAYS
stacked against you. I've seen death's where the only broken bones, was the skull.

TAZMUN
The "TAZMUN"

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 08:26:40 AM »

I live in Florida which is a state where is not obligation to wear a helmet (you have to have health insurance) but I wear even I ride around the block.....nobody knows when you will need it!!

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.