Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Proposed Fed. Helmet Law  (Read 6465 times)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Proposed Fed. Helmet Law
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 05:46:58 PM »

Sand and gravel left on the road have always annoyed me, but what is really dangerous are those great big hard recap casings laying out on the interstate that you can't see at night or in the rain or both.  Now, THEY are a nuisance and I'm for any 'rules' that keeps 'um off the hwy.  Any ideas, Tater?   [smiley=nervous.gif]  spyder [smiley=furious.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Spyder,
 We call 'em alligators!  I have contacted my WV State Senators, WV House of Delegates Members, US Congressman Nick Joe Rahall, and those other two worthless bastards, US Senators Robert C. Byrd and John D. Rockefeller IV, and requested a proposed Bill to make Jacobs Engine Brakes Mandantory, and re-capped tires illegal, on all Commercial Vehicles in all States that have any 7% or more Grades, on State or Federal Highways, for more than 1/3 of a mile at any given stretch.  To date, all I have recieved in response is "We appreciate your concern, and will look into your proposed request.  However, the Federal Government is limited in it's power to mandate any Manufacturer's options choices, and in setting rules for each State's by-ways and highways."  No one from the State of WV has even given me the professional courtesy of a response.  I continue to send this request each and every session of the Legislature.  I will not give up, Spyder, but I am just one voice in the darkness.  Politicians don't look at us as people, they see us as votes.  If I had enough people (votes) behind me, I could make some headway.  Later--HUBBARD      
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 06:04:05 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Spyder,
  We call 'em alligators!  I have contacted my WV State Senators, WV House of Delegates Members, US Congressman Nick Joe Rahall, and those other two worthless bastards, US Senators Robert C. Byrd and John D. Rockefeller IV, and requested a proposed Bill to make Jacobs Engine Brakes Mandantory, and re-capped tires illegal, on all Commercial Vehicles in all States that have any 7% or more Grades, on State or Federal Highways, for more than 1/3 of a mile at any given stretch.  To date, all I have recieved in response is "We appreciate your concern, and will look into your proposed request.  However, the Federal Government is limited in it's power to mandate any Manufacturer's options choices, and in setting rules for each State's by-ways and highways."  No one from the State of WV has even given me the professional courtesy of a response.  I continue to send this request each and every session of the Legislature.  I will not give up, Spyder, but I am just one voice in the darkness.  Politicians don't look at us as people, they see us as votes.  If I had enough people (votes) behind me, I could make some headway.  Later--HUBBARD      

hell, you know I'll vote for you......just gotta figger a way to get me registered up there in those hills & hollers...........you make a whole lot more sense than most of the ones who have gotten the votes.  Tater For Governor !!!!  Har!   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 06:08:27 PM »

hell, you know I'll vote for you......just gotta figger a way to get me registered up there in those hills & hollers...........you make a whole lot more sense than most of the ones who have gotten the votes.  Tater For Governor !!!!  Har!   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  spyder

Governor?  Those jobs require real work.  He was going to be Otis' Vice President awhile back.  That's like semi-retirement with the Secret Service as your riding buddies  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 06:13:38 PM »

Governor?  Those jobs require real work.  He was going to be Otis' Vice President awhile back.  That's like semi-retirement with the Secret Service as your riding buddies  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

You're right!  But, first, let's put him in a position of getting the alligators off of some of the roads...........and maybe take care of a few other issues so near and dear to us before he 'retires' !!!    Har!   [smiley=deal2.gif]   spyder  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2005, 11:25:29 PM »

The sad fact is that the FED will make the states enforce helmet laws. Just like seat belts, the drinking age, unleaded fuel, fuel injection, the death of the air cooled vtwin, catalytic converters etc..etc... It is on its way and there is noway to stop it. Sounds harsh, but I am being realistic. Think of anything that has been able to be stopped once it caught hold in the fed. WE DO NOT LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WE LIVE IN THE FEDERAL STATES OF AMERICA.  We are all addicts to our own tax money. Feeding at the nipple and afraid to bite the hand that feeds us.    The bottom line will be the bottom line. The arguement will be it costs taxpayers money and will save lives. And its not republican or democrats. Its money...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2005, 11:33:43 PM »

Think of anything that has been able to be stopped once it caught hold in the fed.  

Prohibition.
The federally mandated 55mph speed limit.

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 11:51:47 AM »

I hate to say it but I pretty much keep my lights on bright after dark so I can see those chunks of tire tread on the road.  I really don't like riding after dark but if I get caught out there thats what I do.  The truckers are the ones who usually flash their lights.  My attitude is when they stop to pick up their tire casings I will stop running my brights to see and avoid the tire casing they left all over the road.  You know its not just bikers that stuff endangers.  Its the mini vans and cars driven by moms with kids on board etc.
dkm

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2005, 01:33:42 PM »

I hate to say it but I pretty much keep my lights on bright after dark so I can see those chunks of tire tread on the road.  I really don't like riding after dark but if I get caught out there thats what I do.  The truckers are the ones who usually flash their lights.  My attitude is when they stop to pick up their tire casings I will stop running my brights to see and avoid the tire casing they left all over the road.  You know its not just bikers that stuff endangers.  Its the mini vans and cars driven by moms with kids on board etc.

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Dave,
 While your comments stand to reason,  I must voice my conscience concerning the majority of OTR Truckers.  These drivers do not always know the exact moment a tire seperates, and scatters debris over the roadway.  Especially, if they are running absent any other traffic.  It's highly unlikely that the Trucker that loses a re-cap, will be the one that cleans it up.  Subsequently, the next Trucker, or motorist, will contact the Courtesy Patrol, or SP, and inform them of the debris, which is usually cleaned up in a timely fashion, at least, that's the case here in the Mountain State.  For the most part, Truckers are decent people trying to eke out a living in a very competitive business.  The ones I know, personally, are very safety conscious, and do their best to look out for the "Four Wheelers."  It would be my suggestion that we all contact our elected representatives, and demand that re-capped tires be outlawed in every State!  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 02:17:54 PM »

Prohibition.
The federally mandated 55mph speed limit.

2 in over 200 years...

Ok so not everything, most everything...

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 02:24:48 PM by tony1968 »

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 02:30:37 PM »

I have to agree, for the most part truckers are a safety concious and good group of people.  I also think eliminating re-caps would be good though it would also cut into the truckers profit unless perhaps some tax relief could be granted in exchange for outlawing re-caps.  I also suspect even non-recap tires fail and therefore I have an idea but let me get a patent on it first.  
dkm

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2005, 02:35:34 PM »

% of truckers drive for companies and don;t own their own rig - BUT - the tires on them ole rigs are not speed rated for over 70 mph - go figure - re-tread or not they come apart - yes re-tread worse - women & men on cell phones in SUV's - how about the person just cutting thru traffic just to get one more car ahead of everyone else - so with all that time they save - do they get like 366 days at the end of the year ?? - each state has their own particular driver - MIch for instance - why the h-- does everyone drive in the fast lane slow as h-- ??? how about a standardized extensive more compliated drivers test every 4 years - make teens wait till they are 18 to hit the road and not 16 - how about allowing all motorcycle drivers to carry dart guns that shoot non-removable steel darts - driver does something above and beyond the call of stupidity - shoot a dart into their card - 4 darts in your car you loose your license for a year - Atlanta traffic - everyone waiting to merge onto a by-pass or making a turn that has a wide entrance - over 50% of drivers head to the front bypassing everyone cuts lead person off - exit ramp - same problem - its a lack of competent drivers education in this country that causes US to have to tolerate helmet laws - we are the lesser % to deal with - Ill drink to that  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 01:07:13 AM »

What a good place to make both friends and enemies at the same time! A political discussion in an already very small niched group of people. When confronted with the idea of engaging into this type of discussion one has to weight the pros and cons of his/her approach to joining in on the topic. So we make a choice and that choice is to comment or not comment on any expressed ideas. So far we still have the freedom to make our own choices and sometimes be able to voice our opinions.

How long will we retain this right?

In our great country we live in we are almost always given a choice that is either to the far right or the far left. My personal feeling is that we as a populace are mostly in the middle somewhere. There is always some comprimise and some after side effect felt when making a choice in either direction.

I served in the Army and did what I had to do in order to serve it to the best of my personal abilities. That does not mean I agree with the politics behind the choice that our leaders made for me. But I made the choice to join and serve knowing that there are some inevidable consequences.

Where do we draw the line when it comes to freedom vs profit? I say this because everything cost money. We are talking about several underlying topics here at one time.

Our roadways we all ride on. Most of us can agree that they are not exactly designed or maintained with bikers in mind. So do we give up some freedom of choice in order to fund programs to make better roads? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Insurance rates were mentioned and the fact that the cost is absorbed by the consumer of above aforementioned insurance rates. I will put on my helmet in all 50 states if they make sure that all the roads are safe for motorcyclist.
It's a choice to disbelieve or believe the media examples we are given while we are "taught"  facts and statistics. Perhaps they should first find out if the 80 dollar aspirin at the ER is more effective than the whole bottle for 2.99 at my local drug store? Is my 1,200 dollar a night room with a night nurse reading a book out at the nurses station a better stay than the Hilton for 150 bucks a night?

Ok so the original topic is Helmet VS No Helmet. This might as well be Roe VS Wade for bikers!

There is no right answer! How many of these motorcycle fatalities were due to poor road conditions helmet or no helmet if they didn't crash it would be irrelivant wouldn't it?

My personal belief on helmets is this. It should remain up to the individual riding. I think that if you hit your head on asphalt it's going to suck either way. Whenever I personally choose one way or the other for me it's a choice between

if I crash do I want to die quickly or do I want to be a vegetable because my helmet "saved" me. If I am a vegetable (that wore) his helmet for a good while won't I also max out my insirance and wouldn't that also be passed onto the consumer?

Rider Education, better roads, motorcycle awareness for non riders and common sense will save many many more lives than a piece of plastic on your head everytime I bet! But what the hell do I know, I work for a living. [smiley=drink.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 02:15:44 PM »

bump
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 03:50:02 PM »

AP, UPI, UPS, FEDEX: In a stunning story today several members of the United States Senate today shocked their original constituencies by joining with shocking new allies on a startling policy initiative.  Led by bad-ass motorcycle riding Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts these Senators crossed the poltical divide between the AMA (American Motorcyclists Association) and the AGSA (American Genetics Studies Association).  In a statement for the media Senator Kerry announced that this new Senate rump group would from this day forward look for legislation that supported their "Dense Hat" initiative.  

"Dense Hat" (immediately dubbed "Dunce Dome" by Senators in opposition) "will work to bring about a freeing of the American spirit for motorcycle riders" said Senator Kerry while "guaranteeing a thickening of their skulls."  The new initiative seeks to bridge and unusal alliance between AMA's long desired federal requirement banning helmet laws in the individual states and AGSA's goal of funding genetic research.  Senator Kerry explained that he believed the two goals could be combined into language that would eliminate any need for motorcycle helmets by funding genetic research whose goal is to make motorcycle rider's heads so damned hard that helmets become redundant and unnecessary.  

The environmental lobby, unfortunately, is opposed to this new initiative because of the possible new damage done to trees and spotted owls by motorcyclist's newly hardened heads.  Trotting out their new slogan "Trees before brains" an environmental lobbyist pronounced, "what, where's the bar at this event anyway?"

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2005, 11:34:10 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
  Send me some of that chit you're smokin"!  [smiley=confused5.gif] Later--HUBBARD
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 21 queries.