Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Beads.......???  (Read 2426 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Re: Beads.......???
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 05:15:00 PM »

I thought this thread was going to be about “How best to give beads to a woman......with nice results.”

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 06:30:31 PM »

I thought this thread was going to be about “How best to give beads to a woman......with nice results.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 10:15:08 AM »

Used dyna beads in the past, they wont be able to balance tires that have imperfections. My 16x12.5x 35 mt always had balance issues, went back to stick on weights with no issues. Also beads are not recommended for low profile tires.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 08:01:43 AM »

I used them for years and was quite happy with them.  My last tire change the technician put wheel weights on and said the beads only work at high speed, where they will disperse.  At low speed the tire is not balanced.  Don't know what to think.  Seems to me the  weights are more work for the mechanic rather than just dumping in some beads, so  laziness isn't  the answer. 
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 08:19:04 AM »

He may be right when you come to a complete stop but once you start rolling, the tire is turning so fast centrifugal force comes into play very quickly...in the video I posted above I don’t know what MPH the drill is turning but I suspect it’s not as fast as a Harley wheel in motion.  Just guessing here (engineers chime in if I’m wrong) but I think anything over 20 mph the beads would be set and anything below 20 mph you would not be able to feel if it’s out of balance.

J.D.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »

I've considered the beads but haven't really found a good reason to switch from conventional weights.  The weights work very well for me and I can dial in a wheel with little time and effort on a cheap static balancer.

I use the decorative chrome weights.  Not sure how people lose them.  Maybe the surface wasn't clean and/or adhesive wasn't good.

I actually reuse my weights.  I soak them in parts cleaner to remove the old adhesive, wash them with soap and water, then add good 3M automotive tape.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 09:17:39 PM »

Funny I just posted earlier. After our 5000 mile trip to the west coast, I was cleaning the bike and saw that one of the front weights was missing.  I had them take off the weights and put the Dyna beads back in.  Don't know when I lost it, but I'd rather have a balanced tire at speed with beads, rather than an unbalanced one short a weight.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

NoTolerance

• Cogito, ergo sum armatus.
    • WI

• CVO1: 2018 Ultra Limited Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2019 Ultra Limited Magnetic Grey Fade
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 02:18:57 PM »

I've used Ride On for my last 2 tire changes and highly recommend it. In fact, after mounting my rear tire and sealing it, I realized that I forgot to align the balance dot with the valve stem. For a split second, I thought I was going to have to break the seal and wrestle the tire into its correct position. Then I realized it didn't matter because I wasn't using traditional wheel weights - the Ride On would self-balance anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 25 queries.