Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Audio cuts out  (Read 812 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Audio cuts out
« on: February 25, 2019, 08:12:01 PM »

I don't listen to the audio that much but when I do I got this issue  that each time I pull the clutch lever to shift the tunes shut down then come back on when I release the lever.

Its senseless having the radio on when I'm in and around town.

Can anyone recommend how to overcome the issue. I've messed with the settings a bit with no success
. Cheers

BTW. 07 ULTRA CLASSIC

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Audio cuts out
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 08:39:19 AM »

Are you running stock plugs and stock spark plug wires?

Have you checked all your grounds?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:23:00 AM »

Are you running stock plugs and stock spark plug wires?

Have you checked all your grounds?

That's a yes l am.

No,..haven't checked grounds it's only when the clutch is pulled   don't have any other issues.    Would the AVC be cutting it out when the clutch is pulled?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 10:48:52 AM »

Doubt it’s the AVC you can turn off the AVC and re-test on a nice lunch ride
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 02:10:47 PM »

Didn't think the AVC was the source I had played with the settings on it with no change.

Well I'm just not getting the connection between pulling in the clutch lever and it canceling out the radio then as soon as the lever is released the radios back on.

Where's/what's the relationship  :nixweiss:

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 05:18:03 PM »

Start simple - check battery ground then bike grounds -

Then I’d start with radio amp connections might be a harmonic /vibration that changes it

/due diligence time sorry to say, unless someone with this experience chimes in on how they fixed it

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 05:55:15 PM »

If you turn the ignition to accessory (engine off, bike sitting still) and turn on the audio system, does the same thing happen when you cycle the clutch lever between engaged and disengaged?  You could have something as simple as a wire being shorted or open when the clutch lever is operated.  Open up the left handlebar switch housing and look for loose, trapped, or pinched wires to the audio controls for instance.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »

Thanks for the input guys.

I'll check out the suggestions on Thursday/Friday.  The weather man's predicting rain for them days

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 04:08:00 PM »

Well I opened up the left handlebar switch housing today there was no visible signs of any wiring fault that I could find.
After putting it back together I gave it a try and the lever didn't cut the radio out.

I then checked for any code that may have come up (didn't think of pre checking)  there was a code B1154 "clutch switch short to ground" (priority order 28) don't know how or if it would have any bearing to the radio issue?

Isn't the clutch switch just a switch to bypass the "N" switch in order to start the motor while in gear. I'll be getting a replacement switch anyway.

I give this wire a pull and it just kept coming  :huepfenlol2:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 08:29:00 PM »

I can't think of a reason a shorted clutch switch would affect the audio but there again I've seen stranger things in my many years in the auto business, including a rear wiper that would turn on by itself every time I signaled a turn.  After some head scratching and lots of wiring diagram tracing, I finally determined there was a low voltage back feed in the circuits that was tripping the relay that actuated the wiper.  I swapped the relay and the problem was fixed.  The original relay was defective.

If your clutch switch is shorted, your starter may very well turn over even if the trans is in gear with the clutch engaged.  I would definitely recommend fixing that, and if you're lucky perhaps it will also fix the audio.

Jerry

Btw, there's a reason mom always said to not pull loose threads, strings, and other stuff.  The other stuff in your photo is going to be a bear to shove back in.     ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 10:00:45 AM »

;D ;D   true enough stranger things have been known to happen.

The day before this post the radio cut out every time I pulled the clutch lever.

Now after pulling the switch housing apart and finding no obvious issues with any of the wires then stuffing it all back together there's that stranger things have been known to happen  in play,     the radios not cutting out now  :nixweiss:

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.