Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Hog Tunes vs. Hawg Wired Speakers  (Read 37975 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Hog Tunes vs. Hawg Wired Speakers
« on: November 19, 2005, 10:17:16 PM »

I did an install today of the Hawg Wired amp setup in Erniezap's SEEG. Before we installed the amps We installed the Hawg Wired speakers (he already has the Hog tunes)and compared them with my bike. Listening to a couple of different cd's at the same volume, bass, & treble settings on the two bikes (mine with Hog Tunes and his with Hawg Wired) we compared the two. We both felt that the Hog Tunes speakers had a more full sound in the mid bass and bass ranges. They were not as clear on the upper mids high ranges. The Hog Tunes seemed to play a bit louder than the Hawg Wired. The Hawg Wired clearly outperformed the Hog Tunes in the mids and upper range. Very clear crisp highs. The Hog Tunes were better in the lows.

I then installed the Hawg Wired Amps into the SEEG. WOW!! The volume increase is substantial. Very clean clear sound!

I compared both the Hog Tunes and the Hawg Wired with the amp driving them. Our sound impressions of both speakers were very similar. The Hawg Wired speakers seemed to handle the highest volumes better but did not have as much bass response. The bass started to break up on the Hog Tunes at the higher volumes.

An important note.. Our sound testing was all done in the shop, not on the road.

In conclusion Ernie decided to stay with the Hog Tunes for now as they had the better bass response. If I had a choice I'm not sure which way I would go. There are pros and cons with both speakers sets. The Hawg wired has better upper end and the Hog Tunes has better bass response.

Thanks Ernie!!!

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
Re: Hog Tunes vs. Hawg Wired Speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 09:41:29 AM »

Tunes in the back and wired in the fronts would sound like a great set up for Ultra owners!
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 10:25:57 AM »

I did an install today of the Hawg Wired amp setup in Erniezap's SEEG. Before we installed the amps We installed the Hawg Wired speakers (he already has the Hog tunes)and compared them with my bike. Listening to a couple of different cd's at the same volume, bass, & treble settings on the two bikes (mine with Hog Tunes and his with Hawg Wired) we compared the two. We both felt that the Hog Tunes speakers had a more full sound in the mid bass and bass ranges. They were not as clear on the upper mids high ranges. The Hog Tunes seemed to play a bit louder than the Hawg Wired. The Hawg Wired clearly outperformed the Hog Tunes in the mids and upper range. Very clear crisp highs. The Hog Tunes were better in the lows.

I then installed the Hawg Wired Amps into the SEEG. WOW!! The volume increase is substantial. Very clean clear sound!

I compared both the Hog Tunes and the Hawg Wired with the amp driving them. Our sound impressions of both speakers were very similar. The Hawg Wired speakers seemed to handle the highest volumes better but did not have as much bass response. The bass started to break up on the Hog Tunes at the higher volumes.

An important note.. Our sound testing was all done in the shop, not on the road.

In conclusion Ernie decided to stay with the Hog Tunes for now as they had the better bass response. If I had a choice I'm not sure which way I would go. There are pros and cons with both speakers sets. The Hawg wired has better upper end and the Hog Tunes has better bass response.

Thanks Ernie!!!

I am in total agreement with Jim regarding the speakers.  Some comments:
- At 80-90 MPH I had the volume about half way and it was loud and I could even hear the words!  The amp is expensive
   but worth the money since it is entirely in the fairing
- The Hog Tunes sounded okay at speed but I don't know if they're going to last since they seem to be working pretty
   hard
- I'd like to hear the Hawg-Wired speakers at speed to hear the difference

I guess I'll have to talk to Jim and see if we can do a "highway test" of the Hawg-Wired speakers.  My gut feel is that the Hawg-Wired are a better mid/high speaker (definitely a lot clearer and you can hear individual piano or guitar notes) which may be what we need on the bikes since you have enough low end coming from the exhaust and the wind is dissapating the lows as well.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 10:39:06 PM »

Ernie, I'm supposed to have a set of the Hawg Wired speakers delivered sometime this week and will do the "highway comparison test" for you sometime shortly thereafter.  I got really lucky and Jim (here) and Paul (at Hawg-Wired) were kind enough to send me a set of speakers free just for having shared the details of my installation on the site here so that others could use it if need be.  After I get them in hand will do some swapping back and forth and see what the differences sound like.

Jim, in a phone call the other day Paul mentioned a "new" speaker they'll be releasing sometime in the near future.  From his description there it ought to be something that is markedly better than the roughly even-up comparison we seem to be experiencing between the current HawgWired speakers and the HogTunes.  When those become available to the dealers be sure and drop the word.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 11:19:38 PM »

Ernie, I'm supposed to have a set of the Hawg Wired speakers delivered sometime this week and will do the "highway comparison test" for you sometime shortly thereafter.  I got really lucky and Jim (here) and Paul (at Hawg-Wired) were kind enough to send me a set of speakers free just for having shared the details of my installation on the site here so that others could use it if need be.  After I get them in hand will do some swapping back and forth and see what the differences sound like.

Jim, in a phone call the other day Paul mentioned a "new" speaker they'll be releasing sometime in the near future.  From his description there it ought to be something that is markedly better than the roughly even-up comparison we seem to be experiencing between the current HawgWired speakers and the HogTunes.  When those become available to the dealers be sure and drop the word.

I sure will Don, The new speaker will be out in the next couple of months. I spoke at lenth about them with Paul. He asked that the details not be disclosed until they are released for sale ::)

As far as the comparision I installed another Hawg Wired setup in Kingsalmon's SEEG today. He elected to go with the Hawg Wired Speakers. After listening to them more today I think that the increased clarity and crisp mids and highs will out weight the added bass of the Hog Tunes. I need to save up the $'s to get a setup for myself!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 11:46:09 PM »

Jim, what Ohm will the new speakers be, do you know?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 11:56:53 PM »

Well, my friends are certainly impressed with the Hawg-Wired amp as well.  I was riding in the middle of a pack of 8-10 bikes at 80-90 MPH and everyone behind me loved the music and I only had the volume turned up to about half!  :D  That being said, my girlfriend  says that it's a lot clearer in the back seat as well.  Now if I can just get that song out of my head...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 01:00:25 AM »

Ernie, do you know where the gain setting on your power unit ended up?  Just curious for comparison's sake.  After perhaps too much tinkering mine ended up at about 3/4 of it's total range.  Will never use all of that.  But in that range the system would push so hard I could know I'd never need to go further.

Your experiences with the speakers are generally similar to what I saw with the HogTunes versus the Harmon Kardons that came with the new radio.  The HTunes were "stronger" down low.  Bass that you could actually feel in the seat if you wanted to push it (and that was a new capability for a bike audio system).  But the HK's had a slightly better mid to upper end.  The real problem with the HK's though was that they're 2 ohm speakers.  In and of itself that's not a problem.  But at 2 ohm the amp system is effectively much larger than the 150 watt rating we bought it for.  And that's the problem.  

Much above 75 watt per side the amp isn't stable.  Lots of distortion.  So even though we can drive it to 115 or 120 watts per side it's not effectively usable much beyond 80-90.  Even at "merely" 75 watts per side with a good set of 4 ohm speakers we're still golden though.  After all, that's 150 watts clean we're comparing against the 04 and 05 radios that ostensibly have 60 watts but start picking up significant distortion much beyond 25 watts or so.  The stock radios are even worse.  So it's no wonder this new HawgWired system sounds so great.  In comparison to anything else we have or might get it really is.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 01:07:16 AM »

Don;
I'll answer for Ernie since I set it up. I set the gain at just past 3/4 with the Hawg-Wired Speakers. With the Hog Tunes i had to back it off a bit ( below 3/4) as they could not handle the increased volume.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 01:09:23 AM »

What Jim said  ;D
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

SAC

• Full CVO Member
  • Real Mother F** N.C.C. 3%
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 05:31:48 PM »

Well, the next question is for Kingsalmon,  So what do you think about the new set-up ??
Woorth it ??  Or can you not hear me asking the question with the volume so high now ??

Jim I am sure soon you will have Bling, Myself, and maybe the rest of the pack lined up to get the install...  that is if Fred ever gets over here to show us the new install.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 05:56:08 PM »

Well, the next question is for Kingsalmon,  So what do you think about the new set-up ??
Woorth it ??  Or can you not hear me asking the question with the volume so high now ??

Jim I am sure soon you will have Bling, Myself, and maybe the rest of the pack lined up to get the install...  that is if Fred ever gets over here to show us the new install.

Sounds good to me! (pun intended) [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 11:48:44 AM »

I can't hear it but I'd like too.

Hey, you guys are cuttin in real heavy on my East Coast play money. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 10:31:44 PM »

What Jim said  ;D

Sounds like you guys settled on a gain setting for yours almost exactly where I did for mine.  Great ears think alike [smiley=ears.gif]

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 10:06:28 AM »

Sounds like you guys settled on a gain setting for yours almost exactly where I did for mine.  Great ears think alike [smiley=ears.gif]

Wouldn't that be great ears "hear" alike [smiley=nixweiss.gif].
Did you give the Wired Speakers a try yet?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 24 queries.