Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speakers cutting out update  (Read 3277 times)

jsdeano

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Speakers cutting out update
« on: August 18, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »

I have the same problem as most CVO owners. The stereo cuts in and out at 3/4 volume. Harley says this is how the radio is designed so the speakers do not blow. So as far as they are concerned it does not matter that you can not hear the radio at speed with or without your helmet on. They just say it operates as designed. This is where we all need to step up. I like most everyone else has put a upgraded stereo in my CVO. Could everyone who has had a problem with this issue and changed speakers, head unit or amp post in short on this thread your bike year and model and your symptoms and what you did to fix the problem. Please be brief you do not need to tell me how pissed off you are. I already know. If you know of any others on this Forum or not with this problem please have them sign up and post to this thread please.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Speakers cutting out update
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »

how can they say that it is how it is designed to operate when mine doesn't do it?  is mine messed up and not operating properly?  i have to turn mine down sometimes because with the avc set at 1 bar, when i'm doing 75-80 mph, it's too loud.

hope y'all get some kind of resolution out of this....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:35:09 PM »

how can they say that it is how it is designed to operate when mine doesn't do it?  is mine messed up and not operating properly?  i have to turn mine down sometimes because with the avc set at 1 bar, when i'm doing 75-80 mph, it's too loud.

Mine works fine. I have to turn it down because the BSR sais so... AVC is great, when the music volume goes up I can say "I didn't do it, the stereo must be messed up". :huepfenlol2:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 07:53:12 PM »

I have the same problem as most CVO owners. The stereo cuts in and out at 3/4 volume. Harley says this is how the radio is designed so the speakers do not blow. So as far as they are concerned it does not matter that you can not hear the radio at speed with or without your helmet on. They just say it operates as designed. This is where we all need to step up. I like most everyone else has put a upgraded stereo in my CVO. Could everyone who has had a problem with this issue and changed speakers, head unit or amp post in short on this thread your bike year and model and your symptoms and what you did to fix the problem. Please be brief you do not need to tell me how pissed off you are. I already know. If you know of any others on this Forum or not with this problem please have them sign up and post to this thread please.

What year and model bike are you talking about?  And who exactly at Harley told you that BS?  Did you contact the actual Harley-Davidson Motor Company, or just one of the many incompetent liars at the typical Harley dealership? 

If you want to make a case for a lawsuit or something, you don't need to get info from customers, you need to talk to some real audio industry experts.  I'm pretty sure they can explain the real story behind amplifier clipping, as opposed to the BS someone fed you.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jsdeano

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 08:52:21 AM »

Hello Jerry,

Obviously you are a expert by all of your ranting. I have a 2011 CVO Street Glide. I talked to my local shop whop called Harley while I stood there. Then I opened a case with them personally. I then talked directly to Jamie in customer service who said exactly what I posted. So please do not respond to things you know nothing about. I simply asked for anyone else that has a problem to let me know. Simple. What I do not need is people with no knowledge of the problem offering their 1/2 cent opinions. If you don't have the problem that is great. I did not ask you to reply at all. If the guys at the factory are not the experts then they have a way bigger problem then clipping. Thank you in advance to just staying out of this one.

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:11:16 AM »

Hello Jerry,
Obviously you are a expert by all of your ranting. I have a 2011 CVO Street Glide. I talked to my local shop whop called Harley while I stood there. Then I opened a case with them personally. I then talked directly to Jamie in customer service who said exactly what I posted. So please do not respond to things you know nothing about. I simply asked for anyone else that has a problem to let me know. Simple. What I do not need is people with no knowledge of the problem offering their 1/2 cent opinions. If you don't have the problem that is great. I did not ask you to reply at all. If the guys at the factory are not the experts then they have a way bigger problem then clipping. Thank you in advance to just staying out of this one.

First of all, welcome to the site, js.  When you get a chance, make sure to post in the new member part of the forum.

Now to my point, slow down just a bit there.  You've made two posts on this site and just joined.  Jerry is known in these here hills as an expert.  If he is asking specific questions, he's got a reason.  He's calling BS on the explaination (no matter where you did get it) because is sounds like BS.  You get all kinds of "explainations" from the local dealer as well as from the MoCo customer service that aren't correct.  Jerry has been around long enough to be able to see/readthrough the BS so he's trying to help, not hurt in your situation.
Asking what model you refer to helps us understand where to look into history.  Pre-Rushmore bikes didn't have any kind of limit on volume.  The current Rushmore bikes may be limited but from my personal experience in the dealership and on test rides, there ain't no volume control "stops" that kicked in to limit the sound.  That also seems to be the case from some of the posts in your thread (and many other sound/stereo related threads).

The old adage of shooting first and asking questions later doesn't always work.  May want to ask for clarification from a reply to your thread before you start shooting back replies.  This isn't your normal site....it's the best on the web for a reason......just saying.... ;D

jsdeano

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:38:01 AM »

Well thanks for the info. I will be dropping back off this site. I ask a simple question I get three replies and not one is what I asked. I have been researching this problem for almost three years. I have literally hundreds of cases where this is the case. I have heard over and over what people think. (Expert or not). Funny thing is that with all of the opinions and all of the advice after all this time mine with hundreds that I actually know about they all still do the same thing. That is why I just wanted to hear from people with the same problem. I don't need more advice or opinions. Just saying. I wont be checking back in so if ya"ll would like to start bashing me for whatever you can take out of my post to get some more data have at it.

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »

No bashing here and hate to lose you so quickly after just two posts and no introduction.

Good luck in your search/endevour on the stereo cutting out at 3/4 volume issue.  However, if you keep the same attitude that you've expressed in replies/attempts to help and/or get more information on this site elsewhere on the devilnet, you may be in for a long, hard ride.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:40:50 PM by Haird »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 01:38:45 PM »

Hello Jerry,

Well excuse me all to hell!  Sounds like you are already an expert yourself so you don't need to ask any questions around here.  Why don't you just explain to all of us what the real defect is (since it doesn't affect everyone there must be a defect in yours, right)?

Have a wonderful day.  Or not.  Makes no difference to me.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 07:10:13 AM »

We can say for certain that there is nothing in the radio that causes the audio to "shut down" at a given volume to protect the speakers.
There is an anti.clipping circuit that will reduce the volume if clipping is detected, but the audio does not shut down.

The MTX amp in the 2011 CVO SG has been a problem, and cutting out at higher volume levels has been seen by us here in the shop.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »

Well thanks for the info. I will be dropping back off this site. I ask a simple question I get three replies and not one is what I asked. I have been researching this problem for almost three years. I have literally hundreds of cases where this is the case. I have heard over and over what people think. (Expert or not). Funny thing is that with all of the opinions and all of the advice after all this time mine with hundreds that I actually know about they all still do the same thing. That is why I just wanted to hear from people with the same problem. I don't need more advice or opinions. Just saying. I wont be checking back in so if ya"ll would like to start bashing me for whatever you can take out of my post to get some more data have at it.

PLEASE PLEASE don't go, the knowledge & expertise you have shared with us will be greatly missed.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.