Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: What's New With EVO's These Days?  (Read 16544 times)

elvislee

Re: What's New With EVO's These Days?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 12:44:03 PM »

Was down talking to my local wrench today and a fellow pulled up with a trailer with an 86 FXR loaded on the back; had some coil problems. Pulled the bike off the trailer an Al (Local Wrench) who also sold the bike to this fella a few years back was makeing out a work order when he looked at the odometer miles he said "Man, there's 208,000 miles on this thing, you put a 100k miles on this bike since I sold it to ya"? The fella told him, "Yup, been riding to New Orleans and back to Mobile at least a few times a week. We were talking and Al and the fella said a wrench had never broken that EVO motor down for ANYTHING!...He chamges the oil every 2k like clockwork he said...208,000 miles with no engine work on the EVO....WOW!...Is this a testimony to the toughness of the EVO as many have said, or is this not normal or maybe BS? Whada ya think?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 01:59:39 PM »

It's the motor that brought the MoCo back.  'Nuff said.  :drink: I wonder, did he say what else was still w/o problems on the 200+K mile bike?????  Clutch, belt,????    :nixweiss:   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RedFXR2

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 02:07:25 PM »

I took a quick look on the web and can't find it, but a few years ago, there was an article in the HOG magazine about an elderly man in (I think) Washington state whose eyesight had finally gotten bad enough to make him give up his drivers' license.  He had an Evo Electra Glide with something ridiculous, like 400K miles on it.  He had made numerous laps around the US and all kinds of other trips.  According to the article, he had only done routine maintenance to the motor.  Anyway, HD had bought the bike from him to tear down the motor for study purposes, then they were going to re-assemble it and put it on display at the factory in Milwaukee.

Maybe somebody has back issues and can find it.  I might not have all the details exact but that's the basic story.

I've seen numerous riders on various forums attesting to 100K+ miles on their Evos with no major repairs.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 02:37:44 PM »

Actually the guy is from the piedmont section of NC......I met him and he's still alive and riding the bike that the MoCo gave him new to take his high mileage Evo for analysis.  He had a ton of miles on the newer one when I saw him at the dealership in Salisbury, NC.  What a character.  Attributed his good service/longevity motor to a couple of things:  1) reg. maintenance and oil/filter changes and 2) always warming the motor sufficiently before moving the scooter.  Something that a lot of us don't do religiously.  :o har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

elvislee

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2008, 06:12:21 PM »

It's the motor that brought the MoCo back.  'Nuff said.  :drink: I wonder, did he say what else was still w/o problems on the 200+K mile bike?????  Clutch, belt,????    :nixweiss:   spyder

I don't really know. He had "Performance Machine" brakes and was getting new pads, had dual disks brakes on his 21" front wheel (same as FXR3). He was having new clutch, and throttle cables also to his buckhorns. Had Fwd Controls and Corbin seat (Pillow Type). The bike visually wasn't looking the best; you could tell its been down the road and around the block more than once. The head bolts were ALL rusted, jugs, primarys somewhat pitted...Ya'll know the deal...I'm going back tomorrow or Thursday and I'll ask about clutch, tranny, etc., ect.  :2vrolijk_21:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 07:41:08 PM »

Just found out that the guy who purchased mine has sold it...I wish I still had that bike too!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2008, 07:57:58 PM »

Just found out that the guy who purchased mine has sold it...I wish I still had that bike too!
He didn't keep it long.  :o Speculating or just doesn't know what he wants? :-\  spyder
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.