Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cigarette lighter in place of power port on 2014, 15, or 16.  (Read 1650 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Cigarette lighter in place of power port on 2014, 15, or 16.
« on: October 10, 2015, 01:00:58 AM »

Has anyone actually done the change themselves?  I want to replace the power port with a cigarette lighter.  From the limited pictures I have seen, it looks like both have prongs for two wires to plug onto.  Does anyone know if the power wires that go to the power port can just be unplugged and plugged onto the replacement lighter socket?  The instructions for the lighter socket appear to be written based upon there being nothing there at all to start with and running new wires.  I just need to know if I can use the wire that is already there or not.  I'm thinking that perhaps the lighter draws more than the power port would, and maybe it needs to be wired differently.  Anybody?

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Cigarette lighter in place of power port on 2014, 15, or 16.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 02:53:30 AM »

Not sure what the amp rating is for the power port, but it's a good bet the lighter draws more current.  The wiring might not be heavy enough gauge to carry that much current.  Just replacing the fuse could lead to a melting wire in the wiring harness, especially under the seat where there's no cooling airflow.  A fire there can ruin your whole day.   ;)

If you really want a lighter there, consider running new wire that's both properly fused and large enough to carry that much current.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:55:10 AM by Para Bellum »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 05:53:48 AM »

I did mine Dave. You'll need the lighter and socket. I think the socket comes with the plug which you'll have to splice onto the current lines to the power port. If not, you'll need to get the correct plug also as the one for the power port is different from the one for the lighter. The amperage for the power port is actually ramped up a little over our old bikes that ran the lighter stock so power draw for the lighter itself is not an issue.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »

I did mine Dave. You'll need the lighter and socket. I think the socket comes with the plug which you'll have to splice onto the current lines to the power port. If not, you'll need to get the correct plug also as the one for the power port is different from the one for the lighter. The amperage for the power port is actually ramped up a little over our old bikes that ran the lighter stock so power draw for the lighter itself is not an issue.
Thanks.  I guess that's what those pieces were that I saw in the lighter socket instructions.  I think it's making some sense now that I saw your explanation.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 11:11:27 PM »

I was able to free the cable ends from the plastic enclosure at the end of the stock wire, and then just attach them to the back of the lighter.  So, I didn't even have to splice the wires.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 12:07:43 AM »

I was able to free the cable ends from the plastic enclosure at the end of the stock wire, and then just attach them to the back of the lighter.  So, I didn't even have to splice the wires.
Good deal. I didn't even think to go that route.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.