Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motorcycle Lithium Battery  (Read 5589 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Motorcycle Lithium Battery
« on: December 05, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »

I was told, a low battery voltage could cause the solenoid to stick.
My stuck solenoid caused the starter to burn up and ruined the
Autozone 320 CCA battery.  I ordered a Deltran Lithium battery rated at 480 CCA.  Hopefully the new Battery, new Terry Components Starter and new Battery cables will fix things.
Opinions? Thanks.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Motorcycle Lithium Battery
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »

Since you didn't provide a link to the battery you purchased I'm assuming this is the one you're speaking of - 12V, 480 LCA Lithium Engine Start Battery? Not sure where you got it from, and/or what you paid for it. However recently I was in the market for a battery (see this thread - Deka (Big Crank ETX 30L) vs AGM Duracell Ultra) and I'm very happy w/the product & price I ended up purchasing. Not equivalent to what you have in CCA but for the price & warranty I could buy one every year (if needed) and still not pay as much as the price is showing from Battery Tender. :nixweiss: Hope you end up being happy and satisfied w/what you did get. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 09:25:26 PM »

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 11:04:28 PM »

When I put in my 124 months ago I went with the Antigravity LO battery with 720 cranking amps. http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/antigravity-batteries-ytx12-24/
Was definitely expensive and I read all the negatives (especially the price) about LO batteries but my tech that was doing my work that I completely trust had had great luck with them on some big motors he had done ion the past. Because everything else he had recommended had worked so well I decided to do it and it has been great so far. Bike starts like a asian bike now every time which I love. I get that there will still be the negative posts on this but so far I couldn't be happier with it.
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 01:43:17 AM »

sale on Antigravity supposedly.This came from another forum, not sure if it works or not.
25% off
Code agfb2015
From their FB page.
Alan

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 09:06:38 AM »

:P
I'm a big fan of lithium batteries for tools, like power drills and my small chain saw, etc. and my dust buster for the shop,  but not always the best choice for a bike battery.

Living in the South, you should be just fine with it,  cause cold climates (as I recall from the article) can sometimes hamper the performance of lithium batteries for starting.

I believe it was an extensive article in one of the issues of American Iron magazine earlier this year.  Told you more than you would ever want to know about all the different types of motorcycle batteries. :drink:

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 12:13:02 AM »

What's a good battery charger for the lithium batteries?  I would like a 4 amp to 8 amp unit. Deltran said no more than a 10 amp charger but I didn't see one over 2 amps on their site . The Noco Genius G3500 or G7200 looks like a good option for me? Anyone have any experience with these? Recommendations? Thanks
http://www.geniuschargers.com/G7200

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 02:07:56 AM »

What's a good battery charger for the lithium batteries?  I would like a 4 amp to 8 amp unit. Deltran said no more than a 10 amp charger but I didn't see one over 2 amps on their site . The Noco Genius G3500 or G7200 looks like a good option for me? Anyone have any experience with these? Recommendations? Thanks
http://www.geniuschargers.com/G7200
Important that you only use a charger made for a LO battery.
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 02:11:25 AM »

Important that you only use a charger made for a LO battery.
what I use
http://www.optimate1.com/optimate-lithium-0-8a
Alan

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »

From Antigravities Website under FAQ's

http://antigravitybatteries.com/faq/

Things to be aware of:

If you are using the smallest battery possible for your bike to save weight (for example for race use a 4 cell in a 600cc bike, or an 8-cell in a 1000cc bike) you may find in 50 degree weather and below it may be sluggish initially. But with each attempt to start the battery actually warms itself from the amp discharge and gets back its full strength. If you often ride in weather below the 50s we recommend going up one or two sizes on the battery, this will give you more cranking amps to get power even if its very cold.
You can ruin the battery if you let it drain to below 10.5 volts!!! This is true of ANY battery, lead/acid or lithium. Draining a battery to this level will damage the battery cells. This is not a concern if you remember to turn off your ignition, or turn off any accessories that are not ignition switched and monitor your battery is you plan on not riding frequently. You should also make sure your vehicle does not have an “parasitic drain” or “short circuit”. A “parasitic drain” is something like an accessory that is pulling energy from the battery even though the ignition is “off” this can drain your battery below 10.5V and ruin it if you store the bike or don’t ride it to keep it charged … Sometimes a short can also be the cause of a drain on the battery though all accessories are “off”. For the best battery life you should monitor your battery and if you do not ride for a time make sure you disconnect the battery or put it on a lithium maintenance charger.
Also important is that OVER-CHARGING above 14.8V can damage Lead or Lithium batteries. For this reason older bikes should make sure their electrical system and specifically the Voltage Regulator is operating correctly or you will find yourself damaging your batteries if your bikes charging systems voltage to the battery is going above 15V.
DO NOT ABUSE the battery… These batteries express extremely high amperage and can get over-heated if you keep cranking a bike repeatedly over 7 seconds multiple times in a row. Though they are made to start your bike with fantastic results they can become over heated if you keep trying to crank a bike that just isn’t starting.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 04:47:17 PM »

Just my two cents on the "special charger required" claim.  Back when AGM batteries weren't ubiquitous in motorcycles, folks selling AGM batteries also claimed you needed their special charger.  One company still makes that claim.  Total BS back then, and total BS now.  Think about it this way; if the battery requires a different charging method or device, why is it you don't have to change the charging system of the actual motorcycle when you install that battery? 

Food for thought, partake or ignore as you see fit.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 04:50:57 PM »

Ok thanks. I also ordered a Genius G7200  7.5 battery charger that will also charge lithium batteries. I will put it in my saddlebag when on a road trip that may have frequent start/stops.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 05:28:59 PM »

Just my two cents on the "special charger required" claim.  Back when AGM batteries weren't ubiquitous in motorcycles, folks selling AGM batteries also claimed you needed their special charger.  One company still makes that claim.  Total BS back then, and total BS now.  Think about it this way; if the battery requires a different charging method or device, why is it you don't have to change the charging system of the actual motorcycle when you install that battery? 

Food for thought, partake or ignore as you see fit.

Jerry

Hadn't thought of that! The only problem would be overcharging which I think most if not all chargers have the proper circuitry to prevent.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »

::)
There is a little more to it (charging versus what type you are charging)............then you might think.

A little info regarding...

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 24 queries.