Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turn Signal Issue  (Read 2039 times)

Pig Chaser

• Lucky for me riding comes easier than manipulating my posts!
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic
Turn Signal Issue
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:02:52 PM »

Hi everyone,
I have a 2006 CVO Ultra, just noticed right front turn signal is on the fritz. A aargh!!! So I checked fuse appears to be fine, replaced bulb still nothing. Filament on new bulb looks fine. Rear turn signal flashes normal then blinks fast, after a couple blinks. Bulb on front does not light up when ignition is turned on like left turn signal. Any ideas would be awsome. Hate to bring my motor into HD and have it sit if I don't have to. I have a Cadillac warranty, but crap the weather is to nice for my motor to be sitting in my HD shop

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Turn Signal Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 09:41:05 AM »

Hello,

I have the same bike and had similar issues too.

A couple of questions please. Do you have any aftermarket items on it like LED bulbs and load equalizers? How about a run/turn/brake light combo? I ask because those were my problems. I converted to LED bulbs with the module that makes the turn signals also brake lights. Overtime they heat up and sometimes go bad causing similar issues. I ended up pulling the module and going back to regular bulbs. No problems since.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 09:44:17 AM »

Hi everyone,
I have a 2006 CVO Ultra, just noticed right front turn signal is on the fritz. A aargh!!! So I checked fuse appears to be fine, replaced bulb still nothing. Filament on new bulb looks fine. Rear turn signal flashes normal then blinks fast, after a couple blinks. Bulb on front does not light up when ignition is turned on like left turn signal. Any ideas would be awsome. Hate to bring my motor into HD and have it sit if I don't have to. I have a Cadillac warranty, but crap the weather is to nice for my motor to be sitting in my HD shop

One thing to check is the socket itself.  Those lights were bad about getting water in behind the socket (where you'd not see it) and the socket itself would eat itself from that side.  Only decent solution when that was happening was to find the spot where the little harness enters the housing and dab clear silicone around it (after the light has been fixed).

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 10:18:37 AM »

Sounds like no power to socket as stated above. A check with a test light for power should confirm. Socket sounds very likely. Check wires to socket. If power is located in wire prior to socket, replace socket and seal with silicone.

Pig Chaser

• Lucky for me riding comes easier than manipulating my posts!
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 10:01:45 PM »

Hey thanks for the info guys! I will check it out. Bought my bike used so not sure if previous owner did any mods to the lighting system. It appears to me to be all stock. Really fearing I have a shorted wire somewhere causing the problem. I am going to check the socket. Rode today anyway, but that turn signal not operating properly drives me nuts!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 11:12:01 PM »

Hey thanks for the info guys! I will check it out. Bought my bike used so not sure if previous owner did any mods to the lighting system. It appears to me to be all stock. Really fearing I have a shorted wire somewhere causing the problem. I am going to check the socket. Rode today anyway, but that turn signal not operating properly drives me nuts!

If you check the socket be sure and pull what you'll think is a back plate forward just a bit to see if it's all gunked up behind there.  Sometimes those sockets just rot away a bit but have seen others have their problem in the rear of the housing where you can't actually see without looking deeper than the obvious.

1911upstateny

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »

I have my bike in the shop now 2014 cvork I have no brake lights with the hand lever come to find out it's a $250 circuit board that is corroded that's in the grip housing .stealership telling me it's my problem warranty end 4-1-16 bike only has 6500 miles on it.i call total BS dealer should stand behind that it's my 4th bike from them just saying.. It possible you have the problem just in the turn signals

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »

I've recently replaced both of my front connector housings due to intermittent function. Think they were about $36 each from HD. It's the second replacement for one of them. It was a bit of a pain getting the wires through the mount bar.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 04:44:14 PM »

I have a detailed wiring schematic for my Bike. I got a high resolution pic of it on my phone. I added a lot of extra wiring of led relays and control modules , extra horn etc. It is beneficial to learn your wiring and the mods made to stock wiring. I know it's a real pain in the butt to work on extra wiring mods that are not documented if you bring it to a shop. If you learn basic electronics and learn to read schematics you can save a lot of money. Especially when your warranty expires..

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 08:07:41 PM »

I have my bike in the shop now 2014 cvork I have no brake lights with the hand lever come to find out it's a $250 circuit board that is corroded that's in the grip housing .stealership telling me it's my problem warranty end 4-1-16 bike only has 6500 miles on it.i call total BS dealer should stand behind that it's my 4th bike from them just saying.. It possible you have the problem just in the turn signals

The issue you have is only applicable to the 2014 and later models with CAN bus electrical systems.  Considering all the issues Harley had with those hand control switches, they really should stand behind them even though the warranty has (barely) lapsed.  They are already on the second design update since the parts were introduced in 2014, thanks to all the issues.  Call H-D direct and forget trying to work through that dealership.  Obviously they don't care enough about their loyal repeat customers to take the time to make a phone call to their rep to plead your case and ask for a goodwill adjustment.  You might want to remember that in the future when it comes time to buy anything else, even a T-shirt.  Btw, the MSRP for those switchpacks is about $231, and you can buy them from places like Surdyke for $185.  If you're going to have to buy it yourself, and your dealer isn't going to help you, I'd buy it elsewhere.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1911upstateny

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 09:20:01 AM »

ThnKs for the information Jerry..I haven't been able to talk to the manager about it yet but if he does not tell me what I want to hear I will be calling HD direct and I will shop another dealer for my next cvo and it will be the ultra so that's $40000+ they are gonna loose.

1911upstateny

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 05:12:51 AM »

I got the dealer to cover the part and labor 100% I am a happy camper...the motor company should do a recall.i told the dealer it is a major safety problem loosing back lights out of now where could get myself or other killed.and they agree

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.