Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to remove front speakers - 2015 CVO RG Ultra?  (Read 2113 times)

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
How to remove front speakers - 2015 CVO RG Ultra?
« on: April 27, 2017, 07:21:44 PM »

I can't figure out how to remove the front speakers.  They seem too large to come out.  Is it necessary to remove the fairing?  These are the factory Boom stage 1 speakers.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
Re: How to remove front speakers - 2015 CVO RG Ultra?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 07:59:38 PM »

I was really hoping the fairing didn't have to come off.  This project got started because one of the windshield screws won't come out.  It just spins.  So I was attempting to remove the speaker to gain access.

I don't know how I'm going to get that screw out yet.....

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 08:10:35 PM »

Trying wedging a small blade under the screw while trying to back it out.  Removing the fairing isn't that tough. But you need to get the windshield screws out first.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 08:35:14 PM »

Those brass female "nuts " have spun out on almost every bike I know. When mine spun I ended up pulling it out with the fairing. When it happened to me the parts guy said they hadn't made the replacement nuts yet but by now they may have. You can ask but be sure to say it's for the RG because the ones for bat wings are a different size and use a bit of anti-seize . I used JB weld and didn't crank it down real tight , just a mild snug down, and it's held great since
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »

I answered over on RG.org and I'll say it here also for others that may run into this that are not on both sites. They will come out with some serious jiggling and a little bit of pulling on the inner fairing. Don't go all gorilla on it though. Scared the heck out of me trying to do it so I ended up loosening up the speaker baffle behind it to give me some room. Of course, this was after the out fairing was off. Putting the Boom II speakers in were just as fun. My tech put one of them in with everything tightened up and I managed to wiggle the other one in. Almost like a 10 digit combination of getting everything just right for them to lift right out.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 07:00:37 AM »

You do not have to remove the faring to remove the front speakers on a 2015 SERGU.  I'm contemplating replacing the front boom I speakers with Rockford Fosgates.  They have a very nice video that shows just how easy it is to remove the speakers.  Here's the link.

To address the issue with your windshield screw, that's another topic.  I'm just trying to answer your first one.... :)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 07:11:14 AM »

Look at that. . You should be able to get them without removing the fairing. . That video should help you. . Stuart. .  :2vrolijk_21:

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 07:24:03 AM »

I promise that if it was as easy as in that video - I  wouldn't have posted this.  On my 15 RGU, those stage 1's don't come out like that.  There is a little tab in the way, which would almost allow the speaker to come out.  I've tried to pull on the faring as OBB has suggested.  Probably did't pull hard enough.

As the windshield screw problem probably means the fairing will be coming off anyway (to fix the other side of the screw), I guess this will wait until I manage to get that damns screw out.

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 07:48:43 AM »

I promise that if it was as easy as in that video - I  wouldn't have posted this.  On my 15 RGU, those stage 1's don't come out like that.  There is a little tab in the way, which would almost allow the speaker to come out.  I've tried to pull on the faring as OBB has suggested.  Probably did't pull hard enough.

As the windshield screw problem probably means the fairing will be coming off anyway (to fix the other side of the screw), I guess this will wait until I manage to get that damns screw out.

Hey Zig, I don't know what tab you are speaking of?  As a dry run on my '15 in seeing just how easy the speakers are to remove as described in the Fosgate video, I took out both front speakers just as they did....no tab....came right out after removing the screws.... :nixweiss:

At this point in the process, pictures showing your issues would be very helpful.... :2vrolijk_21:

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 07:54:15 AM »

Windshield screws....I knew this sounded familiar.  I do remember that I couldn't test drive my 2015 for a week or so because the dealer was waiting on a replacement insert that had stripped out in the prep process on that bike.  The MoCo had some issues with this on the 2015's and they didn't have any replacements ready to ship out for repairing (same story....different day/week/year).  The dealership did finally get a supposedly re-designed insert that fit the RG and I've not had any other issues with them since I've owned the bike.  Something about them using the wrong inserts at the beginning with the new redesign of the Rushmore SERGU in 2015?

Glenncarp

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 04:17:37 PM »

Trying wedging a small blade under the screw while trying to back it out.  Removing the fairing isn't that tough. But you need to get the windshield screws out first.

If/When you get the screw out, hope you do, then mix up some JB weld, apply it to the removed screw, CAREFULLY put it back in the fairing so the JB weld does not get on the fairing and let the JB weld dry, once it has dried, back the screw out and you will have a repaired slot for the stripped plastic screw hole.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »

Windshield screws....I knew this sounded familiar.  I do remember that I couldn't test drive my 2015 for a week or so because the dealer was waiting on a replacement insert that had stripped out in the prep process on that bike.  The MoCo had some issues with this on the 2015's and they didn't have any replacements ready to ship out for repairing (same story....different day/week/year).  The dealership did finally get a supposedly re-designed insert that fit the RG and I've not had any other issues with them since I've owned the bike.  Something about them using the wrong inserts at the beginning with the new redesign of the Rushmore SERGU in 2015?
Mine were really tight when I first got the bike. On a suggestion here on this site, once I had them out, I cleaned up the screws and inserts with a tap and die and now they're really easy to remove and reinstall.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 07:56:04 PM »

Well the dealer got the screw out when they replaced the radio, which was defective.  So for now, I have removed all the screws and dipped them in anti-seize. 

With the new radio and amplifier working properly, the "bad speakers" sound pretty good.  I'll leave them for now as they are acceptable up to about 70mph.   A world better than the system on my 16 FLTRU, so I guess the stage one and amp do make a decent improvement.

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.