Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Zumo 660 installation with quick disconnect of harness  (Read 7324 times)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
Zumo 660 installation with quick disconnect of harness
« on: May 08, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »

When I am not using the GPS I'd like to remove it and the mount from the bike.  (Using the pinch bolt techmount)  As you know the harness is hard wired in the fairing connecting the audio, mic, and power.  The usb is not in use nor do I anticipate I will ever use it.

Can the harness be cut and a quick disconnect be installed?  If anybody has done this sure would appreciate some pointers as well as a parts list.  I read the thread detailing Merlini's quick disconnect  but was hoping for a less complicated solution.  Thanks   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
Re: Zumo 660 installation with quick disconnect of harness
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »

When I am not using the GPS I'd like to remove it and the mount from the bike.  (Using the pinch bolt techmount)  As you know the harness is hard wired in the fairing connecting the audio, mic, and power.  The usb is not in use nor do I anticipate I will ever use it.

Can the harness be cut and a quick disconnect be installed?  If anybody has done this sure would appreciate some pointers as well as a parts list.  I read the thread detailing Merlini's quick disconnect  but was hoping for a less complicated solution.  Thanks   

If you could mount the car cradle to your RAM mount instead of motorcycle cradle to RAM you could remove both.  Of course you would have to run the car harness in place of the m/c cradle harness.  I'm assuming you bought the Garmin 660, not the Harley 660.  Don't think the HD 660 comes with the car cradle.  If you have the HD you can buy the car cradle from Garmin.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »

If you could mount the car cradle to your RAM mount instead of motorcycle cradle to RAM you could remove both.  Of course you would have to run the car harness in place of the m/c cradle harness.  I'm assuming you bought the Garmin 660, not the Harley 660.  Don't think the HD 660 comes with the car cradle.  If you have the HD you can buy the car cradle from Garmin.

I have the HD 660 which comes with a car harness to supply power only.  I need the motorcycle harness to get the audio and mic thru the headset

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »

i opted to use a techmount so that the cradle was not quickly removed. i figured with it hard wired no point in making it removable
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »

i opted to use a techmount so that the cradle was not quickly removed. i figured with it hard wired no point in making it removable

I like the clean look of the handlebars when the unit is off.  Quick disconnect of power audio and mic would make removal a snap.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 01:02:02 PM »

you could do that but what would you do this this bundle of wires while its on the bike?

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »

I am talking a road glide so the mess goes in the fairing. I would have the disconnect where the wires exit the fairing. Your se roadking presents more of a problem...   

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »

i guess i'm missing something obvious here, but thats about 6 feet of cable if its easily removeable how could it be hidden in the fairing and have the connections accessible to disconnect?

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »

Option 1 cut at the place all cables go from handlebar to where they tuck into fairing.  mount quick disconnect there and be prepared to cut wire ties every time you wish to remove from bike.

Option 2 install a plug like a powerlet that would house all necessary wires on handlebar closest to fairing.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 05:18:03 PM »

I used a multi-pin connector to make a quick disconnect by cutting the main harness to the cradle. For some reason I can't get the audio to work--power works fine but it just does not see the audio out plug connected to the radio. I cut one wire at a time to isolate the 5 (4 plus another ground) wires for the external audio and everything worked fine until I installed the plug. I got tired of playing with it so I left it as a quick disconnect for power. It works fine and I listen to the XM built into the radio. Maybe someday I will get bored enough to work on it again.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 07:28:25 PM »

I used a multi-pin connector to make a quick disconnect by cutting the main harness to the cradle. For some reason I can't get the audio to work--power works fine but it just does not see the audio out plug connected to the radio. I cut one wire at a time to isolate the 5 (4 plus another ground) wires for the external audio and everything worked fine until I installed the plug. I got tired of playing with it so I left it as a quick disconnect for power. It works fine and I listen to the XM built into the radio. Maybe someday I will get bored enough to work on it again.

I am going to wire the Zumo into the factory radio and intercom.  Thus, I need mic as well as audio and power.  When you get it right, and I am sure you will, please post for all to see.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 09:59:24 PM »

I am going to wire the Zumo into the factory radio and intercom.  Thus, I need mic as well as audio and power.  When you get it right, and I am sure you will, please post for all to see.

Not to disappoint....but it ain't happening this season.......maybe next winter. Since I don't use the GPS that much, it won't bother me too bad. But if I ever do figure it out, you will be the first to know.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 01:12:07 PM »

I took apart the 660 cradle and contemplated doing the same. The 12v and ground is separated and easy to see, but the rest takes some sorting to figure out.

Have you considered contacting Garmin Tech's for the wiring schematic? They might be willing to share this.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 01:52:33 PM »

I took apart the 660 cradle and contemplated doing the same. The 12v and ground is separated and easy to see, but the rest takes some sorting to figure out.

Have you considered contacting Garmin Tech's for the wiring schematic? They might be willing to share this.

You read my mind.  I contacted them and received a prompt reply, NO.  They regard the info as proprietary
and will not disclose a schematic describing what their wires do or go.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 03:03:25 PM »

Hmm, that's downright hostile!   :P

If you have the other end of the harness still, you can probably figure it out pretty easily. Obviously, you know what the connectors are for, so it's just a matter of removing the insulation to each connector to confirm and label.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.