Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: New Harley LED headlights  (Read 47394 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: New Harley LED headlights
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2012, 12:25:47 AM »

Sorry, but the camera on my phone isn't top notch, so I didn't get the best pictures of your headlamp choices, but here they are.  From right to left, we have the Harley Daymaker, Kuryakyn (Trucklite) Phase 6, Kuryakyn (Trucklite) Phase 7, and stock. 

IN THE DARK
The 3 of us with LED's rode home in the dark tonight and all 3 are awesome.  This was the first time I rode with anyone at night that had the Harley LED's and WOW! are those things bright.  Riding in front of him, I really couldn't even see the passing lamps at night.  The headlamp is just overpowering.  From riding behind him, I could see a very distinct area that was lit up like a studio ready for a photo shoot.  That area extended about the same as my Phase 6 lamps, which blows away the stock lights.  I was very impressed at how wide the spread of the beam was.  We rode the highway home, and there is a concrete barrier between sides of the highway.  Riding in the right lane of the 2 lanes on our side of the barrier, he still had that barrier pretty well lit up.  Off the right side of the road, I made the decision quickly to watch in his light area for deer on the side of the road.  I was fine with my my lights capabilities for lighting up the side of the road before, but now I am realizing how much more is possible.  As far as this aspect goes, the Phase 7's are better than my Phase 6's, but still not in the same league with the Harley's.  Between the Phase 6 and 7, I think the Phase 6 has the advantage directly in front of the bike, and the Phase 7 has the advantage with light off to the sides...but the Harley lamps win in both categories.

IN THE DAYLIGHT
Phase 6...very distinct lighting that allows you to recognize the bike behind you from a very long distance and hard to miss seeing the bike.
Phase 7...very distinct lighting that allows you to recognize the bike behind you from a very long distance and hard to miss seeing the bike.
Harley...from looking in my rear view mirror, I found that if I looked in one mirror, I could see the lights well and they seemed to have somewhat of a yellow-green tint (but that may change depending on the sunglasses you have on), and if I looked in the other mirror I found the lamps to be almost to the point of disappearing.  I'm not sure why there was such a huge difference with such a small change in viewing angle, but I mentioned it to one of the other guys and he confirmed that this is what he saw also.  I'm guessing that these lights aren't seen quite as well from angles in the daylight, but I'd have to get a look at him head on coming the other way down the road to solidfy my opinion on that aspect of operation.

My overall opinion, as well as the others' opinions, are that the stock lights shouldn't even be legal after having our LED's.  Having the LED's makes for a much more confident and thus more relaxed ride at night.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2012, 09:07:09 AM »

Sorry, but the camera on my phone isn't top notch, so I didn't get the best pictures of your headlamp choices, but here they are.  From right to left, we have the Harley Daymaker, Kuryakyn (Trucklite) Phase 6, Kuryakyn (Trucklite) Phase 7, and stock. 

IN THE DARK
The 3 of us with LED's rode home in the dark tonight and all 3 are awesome.  This was the first time I rode with anyone at night that had the Harley LED's and WOW! are those things bright.  Riding in front of him, I really couldn't even see the passing lamps at night.  The headlamp is just overpowering.  From riding behind him, I could see a very distinct area that was lit up like a studio ready for a photo shoot.  That area extended about the same as my Phase 6 lamps, which blows away the stock lights.  I was very impressed at how wide the spread of the beam was.  We rode the highway home, and there is a concrete barrier between sides of the highway.  Riding in the right lane of the 2 lanes on our side of the barrier, he still had that barrier pretty well lit up.  Off the right side of the road, I made the decision quickly to watch in his light area for deer on the side of the road.  I was fine with my my lights capabilities for lighting up the side of the road before, but now I am realizing how much more is possible.  As far as this aspect goes, the Phase 7's are better than my Phase 6's, but still not in the same league with the Harley's.  Between the Phase 6 and 7, I think the Phase 6 has the advantage directly in front of the bike, and the Phase 7 has the advantage with light off to the sides...but the Harley lamps win in both categories.

IN THE DAYLIGHT
Phase 6...very distinct lighting that allows you to recognize the bike behind you from a very long distance and hard to miss seeing the bike.
Phase 7...very distinct lighting that allows you to recognize the bike behind you from a very long distance and hard to miss seeing the bike.
Harley...from looking in my rear view mirror, I found that if I looked in one mirror, I could see the lights well and they seemed to have somewhat of a yellow-green tint (but that may change depending on the sunglasses you have on), and if I looked in the other mirror I found the lamps to be almost to the point of disappearing.  I'm not sure why there was such a huge difference with such a small change in viewing angle, but I mentioned it to one of the other guys and he confirmed that this is what he saw also.  I'm guessing that these lights aren't seen quite as well from angles in the daylight, but I'd have to get a look at him head on coming the other way down the road to solidfy my opinion on that aspect of operation.

My overall opinion, as well as the others' opinions, are that the stock lights shouldn't even be legal after having our LED's.  Having the LED's makes for a much more confident and thus more relaxed ride at night.

Good report Dave!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »

Update to yesterday's post:  Today when I looked in the rear view mirror at the Harley LED's behind me (in daylight), one of the passing lamps would seem like it was out, but then I would look in the other mirror and there it was again.  If I looked in my right mirror, it would appear that the left passing lamp was out.  I didn't think to mentally register whether I was riding to the right side of the road and him more to the left, which could man that the passing lamp could have been partially obstructed by the headlamp with my view.  I guess we'll just need another nice day for me to check it one more time.

dont57

• VA

• CVO1: FLHRSE4 (#1253)
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2012, 10:15:09 AM »

I just installed a "Daymaker" HD headlight # 67700040A (Black) on my SERK4 anniversary.  I decided to shell out the $465.00 (shipped) based on seeing the light in action.  It is by far the best excuse to spend ~ $500.00 on your bike.  The increased intensity of light, the spread and color, White/Blue, not dark amber as compared to stock, makes the light highly effective.  Also the black looks bad-ass even surrounded by chrome.

The install is very straight forward, took 30 minutes start to finish including alignment.  Also I ride with a friend that has the setup with aux lights, during the day the lights are beneficial especially if you run highs.  He added the kit that allows head light and aux to be run simultaneously on his 2003 Road King.  At night with the LEDs and aux lights on, the road and surroundings is extremely illuminated.

For the added safety, in my mind this is money well spent!
T-Man Heads (Doc's Special)
TTS Mastertune, Doc's performance tune
FULLSAC 2" Baffles
Zipper's MaxFlow AC
Andrews 54 CAM, HD SE adj. pushrods/hyd. lifters
Progressive Monotubes & 940 shocks
SMC Smooth Rider Stabilizer
DeadCenter fairing & HD hardbags, Paint by Volanski
Pioneer AVH5200BT/Polk 500W Amp

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2012, 06:10:18 PM »

As much as I love my Kuryakyn (Trucklite) Phase 6 LED headlamp and passing lamps, I ordered the Harley versions today, and went with the dark lenses.  They told me it will be 2 to 3 weeks before I receive them, but once I do, I guess I'll put the other ones up for sale on here before I hit Ebay with them.  I'd rather see them go to a good and caring CVO home.  The Kuryakyn's made it so I no longer care if I get home before dark, since they really throw off terrific light, but I decided that I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the Harley lights today.  The only thing that makes me wonder if I made the correct decision is that the Kuryakyn lights are much more visible in the daylight, and obviously where I do the majority of my riding.  So, they are probably the best overall light, but I just couldn't ignore how bright the Harley's are at night, and you can see them in the daylight...just not as well.  Anyway, I'll post the others for sale once I get my new ones.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »

:cherry:
I swapped out the headlite from my '09 Ultra to the new LED HD lite.   I love it.   Not quite sure why the pkg comes with an adjustment ring as it seems to me to be no different than the one that my stock lite already had.

If the damn things were not so super expensive,  I would pony up for a pair of them to go into my '39 Chevy streetrod.  Since I have 2" dropped spindles and smaller tires/wheels on the front versus the back,  the (normal halogen sealed beams) that I now have in the stock headlite pods on the fenders do NOT offer much look ahead lite as they have (no adjustability).

Playing around with the extra adjustment ring,  I found I could grind down the outer diameter and make it all fit within the '39 headlite shell/ring.......thus I (could) have super headlites with adjustability............except I'm not gonna spend around a $1000 to do it when the car doesn't get that much nite time usage. :-\

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »

I swapped out the headlite from my '09 Ultra to the new LED HD lite.   I love it.   Not quite sure why the pkg comes with an adjustment ring as it seems to me to be no different than the one that my stock lite already had.

If the damn things were not so super expensive,  I would pony up for a pair of them to go into my '39 Chevy streetrod.  Since I have 2" dropped spindles and smaller tires/wheels on the front versus the back,  the (normal halogen sealed beams) that I now have in the stock headlite pods on the fenders do NOT offer much look ahead lite as they have (no adjustability).

Playing around with the extra adjustment ring,  I found I could grind down the outer diameter and make it all fit within the '39 headlite shell/ring.......thus I (could) have super headlites with adjustability............except I'm not gonna spend around a $1000 to do it when the car doesn't get that much nite time usage. :-\
But with that renewed light turning night into day, you'll probably use it (the '39) more at night.  That's the way it worked out with me after putting those lights on my Huckleberry.  I can see again at night.  ::) spyder
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:53:40 AM by spydglide »
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2012, 10:35:14 PM »

I swapped out the headlite from my '09 Ultra to the new LED HD lite.   I love it.   Not quite sure why the pkg comes with an adjustment ring as it seems to me to be no different than the one that my stock lite already had.

I noticed that when a friend was installing his, and I assumed that since it fits a lot of years and a lot of bikes, it may be necessary for some of those other bikes, but not ours.  That's my guess.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2013, 06:07:30 PM »

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/JW-Speaker-Model-8700-Evolution-p/jws-m8700-ev.htm

Best price I've found so far for lights that are made by the company that makes the HD lites

also found these:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=81910.msg1104745#msg1104745   ...and they are based in Canada!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:20:48 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »

Those aren't the Harley LED's, but they sure do look like they are set up on a very similar concept.  However, I paid less for the Harley headlamp - $367.46 and for the passing lamps I paid $269.46.  I got mine from a Harley dealer for 30% off and I thought it was a pretty good price considering what they normally charge.  I don't know if you'll find too many dealers that will offer the 30% off though.  I got mine at a special Thanksgiving Black Friday sale at a local dealer.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.