Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: GPS advice needed  (Read 1986 times)

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
GPS advice needed
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »

Currently I have an original TomTom GPS (water-resistant) that I can move from my mounts on my bikes to mounts on my cars and ATV. I never could get the TomTom to plan complex routes correctly and often ended up on dead-end dirt roads that the GPS map said were paved highways, etc. Now the TomTom will actually flip out and try to map you to a completely different state. ??? It cycles on and off while riding for no reason. My opinion is that TomTom is an expensive piece of junk with lousy customer support. Most accessories and mounts I needed had to be purchased from after-market vendors. No more TomTom for me....

I need to replace it with a waterproof GPS that I can get wiring and mounts for all my vehicles. I would prefer to go with Garmin, but don't know where to start with all the different models. I need a reliable waterproof GPS that I can get mounts for to use in cars and bikes. All feedback appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: GPS advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »

My Garmin Zumo 450 works well getting me down the road. Besides an occasional side trip (set for quickest) it's not had any major issues. The 450 is the plain jane of the zumo family w/ very few bells and whistles. But, the software that comes w/ it is the most PITA program I've ever had the displeasure to use. Have to keep track of like a bizillion things to update it. The mapping program, MapSource and now Basecamp have few advanced features and unless you're willing to spend lots of time getting used to it I've found it totally frustrating. The Zumo unit itself has been exposed to rain but not a heavy gully washer. I cover it w/ a baggie if I'm going to get wet. The touch screen works reasonably well though a screen protector film makes it a little more difficult to drag the map around the screen. With an SD card it holds tons of songs but of course you must cable it to the bike's radio's input jack. Battery life is not very long if you're doing anything other than just navigating so a constant power supply is needed. I use a cigarette light plug. The RAM mount system works very well. The screen size is ok but it needs adjusted in sunlight as at certain angles it's unreadable. Lastly, the little screw which secures the unit to it's cradle is a PITA w/ the small screw driver that comes w/ it. The aftermarket supplied a small thumb screw which is much easier to use and functions very well w/ the exception of theft deterance which in itself is a non-issue using a RAM mount.

HD Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • 110ci of fun

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 01:49:32 PM »

I have a Zumo 660 that came with my 12 SEUC.  I had also had one prior to that on my 06 UCEG.  Both work well on the bike and are waterproof.  The Harley version has the ability to integrate with the HK radio.  You can also buy a fairing or handlebar mount for it.  I like the software for the computer and bein able to plan routes to download to the GPS  I also have the lifetime map update which keeps the maps for the GPS up to date.

bluegoose

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra - Riptide Blue
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 02:08:39 PM »

I installed a Tom Tom 540 TM last winter - wired direct to back of cigarette lighter.  

I was pleased it has a large screen and worked well for a basic GPS - it does have lifetime map upgrades.  No issues with dirt or unpaved roads.  I normally travel a lot of secondary roads so my biggest issue was trusting it when it told me to turn. At first I stopped several times to physically check the map - GPS was always right.

I don't normally make reservations when traveling - never know where I may end up - really liked the Hotel / Motel feature.

It will easily go from the bike to another car / truck in a couple of minutes.

Only downside is it can be difficult to see in direct sunlight and is not waterproof so you will need to put a bag over it during heavy rain.  I just carried a couple of little zip lock bags.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 02:15:59 PM »

Zumo 660 Road Tech for me. Have been extremely satisfied. Integrated into the Harmon Kardon. I do not use XM so do not need the 665

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »

I have a Zumo 660 that came with my 12 SEUC.  I had also had one prior to that on my 06 UCEG.  Both work well on the bike and are waterproof.  The Harley version has the ability to integrate with the HK radio.  You can also buy a fairing or handlebar mount for it.  I like the software for the computer and bein able to plan routes to download to the GPS   I also have the lifetime map update which keeps the maps for the GPS up to date.

Can you give me a little guidance on how to plan a route then download it to my 660?  I'm not that bright when it comes to gizmos
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

SmileMaker

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
    • CVO2: 97 FLSTS Blue & White
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 04:58:08 PM »

I mainly use the ride planner at the HOG website. Plan your route and use the option to export to your devise(660).
Plug your gps into the computers USB port. The site has had no problems recognizing the 660. It sends the route along with waypoints to the 660 as a gpx file. When you later start the 660 it recognizes the new file and asks if you want to import it. Not very difficult (I may have missed a step on the power-up, I haven't used this feature since our
June California trip). I have used the map source software that comes with the Garmin and it's fun to check out the
Route in google earth, but I find ride planner easier to use.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 08:15:30 PM »

I think I got what I was looking for-appreciate it  :2vrolijk_21:
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 02:12:45 PM »

Thanks for input!

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »

Descriptions online for Zumo 660 and Zumo 220 are very simular; Big price differece however. Is the 660 worth that much more and what extra does it really provide? Thanks, jb

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 03:13:32 PM »

Descriptions online for Zumo 660 and Zumo 220 are very simular; Big price differece however. Is the 660 worth that much more and what extra does it really provide? Thanks, jb

The two biggest differences I can see are screen size and MP3 capability.  Also 3D for some things.  The biggest reason for getting the ROADTECH 660/665 (HD version of the Garmin 660/665) is that you can make it seamlessly talk through the HK radio on the touring bikes.  With any of the actual Garmin units, to get voice prompts you have to run a stereo patch cable to the AUX input on the front of the radio.  It just depends on what you want to do.  HD was running a special on the Roadtech that included lifetime map updates ($90 value), and you can also order through one of the 20% discount houses.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 09:24:06 PM »

The two biggest differences I can see are screen size and MP3 capability.  Also 3D for some things.  The biggest reason for getting the ROADTECH 660/665 (HD version of the Garmin 660/665) is that you can make it seamlessly talk through the HK radio on the touring bikes.  With any of the actual Garmin units, to get voice prompts you have to run a stereo patch cable to the AUX input on the front of the radio.  It just depends on what you want to do.  HD was running a special on the Roadtech that included lifetime map updates ($90 value), and you can also order through one of the 20% discount houses.

Side note, I think I remember that the H-D one has a 2 year warranty vs. Garmin 1 year.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 10:06:13 PM »

I was told that my SESG cannot have the voice prompts come through the speakers.  The only way the street glides can have that accomplished is to run that AUX cable and be in the AUX mode.  Don't understand why the SG can't be set up to run through the speakers :nixweiss:  On that note, I tried my ear-piece that came with the 660 and it blows!  I have the volume cranked and cannot hear it where its useful.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »

I was told that my SESG cannot have the voice prompts come through the speakers.  The only way the street glides can have that accomplished is to run that AUX cable and be in the AUX mode.  Don't understand why the SG can't be set up to run through the speakers :nixweiss:  On that note, I tried my ear-piece that came with the 660 and it blows!  I have the volume cranked and cannot hear it where its useful.

NOT true! The MoCo chose not to provide the capability natively on the SESG - but it's easy to do. I have it working on my SESG now using the H-D NIM. The 665 interrupts whatever is playing on the radio, iPod, etc, to give you the voice prompts.

The SESG does not have the 6A/B connectors in the fairing that the NIM normally plugs into, but you just splice into four wires to make a 6B connector - the CAN+, CAN-, Radio Memory, and ground. Works great. There is also a connector harness that the MoCo sells to pick up the CAN+ and CAN- wires from the big 35-pin connector 28 on the back go the H-K radio.

You can also make a simple alteration to your radio to implement a rear aux port, so you don't have to run the ugly wire out of the fairing and into the front Aux port on the radio for the Road Tech 660/665. Everything is inside the fairing this way.

There are threads in this forum discussing how to do this. "Legalley" has a good one for the SESG that tells you exactly what to do... 

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

pweber6

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 11:31:44 PM »

Read reply #29 on this link:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53364.msg940314#msg940314

It will have a do it yourself diagram on making a Y connector that plugs into your CVO Street Glide IPOD connector.   Simple to do or take it to your dealer. 
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.