Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TUNES....  (Read 1814 times)

Skilter

TUNES....
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »

I have an old FXR2... I keep looking into a 2011/12 SG... I keep hearing about "tunes are good"... I wear headphones. I have in the ear plugs... I can't hear anything over my SG pipes anyway. Why are tunes on the dash so cool or important when I could just have earphones?

Granted... I am new to this touring bike thing. My wife does not ride... but maybe in the future?

Tell me... is it a big no-no to have earphones? Many of us don't wear helmets... Maybe it is a convenience thing that we don't have to fumble with what is in our ears?

Thoughts?

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
Re: TUNES....
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »

I have an old FXR2... I keep looking into a 2011/12 SG... I keep hearing about "tunes are good"... I wear headphones. I have in the ear plugs... I can't hear anything over my SG pipes anyway. Why are tunes on the dash so cool or important when I could just have earphones?

Granted... I am new to this touring bike thing. My wife does not ride... but maybe in the future?

Tell me... is it a big no-no to have earphones? Many of us don't wear helmets... Maybe it is a convenience thing that we don't have to fumble with what is in our ears?

Thoughts?

For me,  to adjust vol. , change the songs

I have a nano (ipod) , but it's not easy to adjust while i'm on the freeway  :nixweiss:

Otherwise, I'd wear ear bugs, just keep the volume low !

Just my opinion
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:18:32 PM by 110 Mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 01:27:02 PM »

In most places it's illegal to have ear phone/buds in. Mind you, I've only ever heard of two tickets being given...one in a cage and one on two wheels....and both with extenuating circumstances.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:35:05 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:30:23 PM »

Tunes in the dash?!  Get a convertible, I say.   :huepfenlol2:

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 01:59:51 PM »

Tunes in the dash?!  Get a convertible, I say.   :huepfenlol2:

I did, it's called a SEEG! Converts from King Tour, Chopped Tour, Passenger Back Rest, or nothing at all!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 02:10:50 PM »

Skilter,

Here's my thought, FWIW:  Notwithstanding the fact that it's illegal in most states, I have always thought that with headphones / plugs playing music, I would not hear the truck that killed me.   :oops:  I've upgraded my SERG stereo twice and it sounds pretty good on the road. I wear (legal) foam ear plugs which seem to help the stereo sound because they eliminate wind noise (with either my half or three quarter helmet).  I can hear traffic, sirens, etc. but it's muted.  There are numerous, published studies about ear damage to riders who fail to wear ear protection.  But playing tunes in the ear plugs would cancel out all traffic noise and is probably suicide.  I don't have a "study" to prove that but by coincidence, in yesterday's news there was a study showing that pedestrians wearing earphones are three times more likely to suffer serious injuries from being hit:   Serious injuries triple for headphone-wearing pedestrians.  Seems like a bad way to die.   :nixweiss:  

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »

I do and did the same as you Greg, through lots of comparisons, found ear plugs to cut the wind noise out, and good stereo speakers/amp combi make for great listening. :2vrolijk_21:
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 07:12:59 PM »

Greg said it perfectly, my opinion 100%

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 07:29:28 PM »

just purchased this set up for my bike  300 watts

http://www.uniqcycle.com/classic-motorcycle-speakers.html
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »

When I had my SE Fatbob I wore earphones, becuase I am an audiophile and NEED music. But they always started bothering me after a while, no size fit quite right; were a pain to deal with while group riding, taking out one to talk and trying to put it back in with gloves and helmet; and required cleaning every few days. With the SESG, I turn the bike on, the music starts, VOL and song are easily adjustable, no wires to deal with. I'm so much happeir with the fairing stereo than just my MP3 player. Plus I can share the tunes with those around me.
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »

i have never been able to hear anything, or understand it as more than noise from the speakers - always just shut them off - ick. for me speakers are completely pointless. the sidecar speakers are gone, the rear speakers are gone, the front ones are still there but to be honest i cant even tell you if they work. the headphone jacks are present and well used.

i use the headphones in the helmet - they are not in my ear and i can still hear close sirens and the helmet keeps the noise down.

basically i have hearing loss from running with straight pipes in the late 70's. thus speakers are pointless. what i really LIKE about the hk headunit is that i can hear music, check the weather radio, and talk to my wife - without the helmet headset id have to pull off the road and shut off the bike to find out what she is trying to say.

thats just the way it is

to

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 07:12:09 PM »

I have always rode the bike with ear plugs - too much damn road noise otherwise.  Lost enough hearing from dirt bikes and concerts.

For me the sound system on the 2012's can more than overcome the road noise - especially when the AVC is at 3 bars.  I can listen to music my old radiotech system would not amplify enough.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:12:07 PM by Possum »
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.