Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 cvo SG and ultra gps  (Read 1587 times)

zakklp70

2012 cvo SG and ultra gps
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:14:29 AM »

I noticed that the ultra comes with the zumo installed so what I was wondering, is if the interface they use on the ultra could be a plug and play on the SG... Didn't know if the harness or radio head units were that different. :nixweiss:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: 2012 cvo SG and ultra gps
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 05:14:14 AM »

I noticed that the ultra comes with the zumo installed so what I was wondering, is if the interface they use on the ultra could be a plug and play on the SG... Didn't know if the harness or radio head units were that different. :nixweiss:
The NIM (Navigation Interface Module) is not plug 'n play on the SESG.  For some reason, they didn't use the same wiring harness on the SG as they did the UC.  There are multiple threads on here describing what needs to be done to install the NIM on an SESG.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:35:54 AM »

If you are thinking that you must have a NIM for a GPS to work on your bike then you are not alone. I get dozens of calls every month asking this questions. The simple answer is NO you do not. Lots of people think that they must have a NIM in order for the GPS to work. This is not the case.

You can mount a GPS route the output from the GPS to your Auxiliary Input on your radio, place your radio in the AUX mode of operation and you will hear any thing that the GPS is transmitting such as Turn Prompts, MP3 songs, a phone call, XM Radio, Weather and Traffic Alerts. XM, Weather & Traffic if you have the 665.

If you install a NIM then your radio does not have to be in the AUX mode in order to hear Turn Prompts from the GPS (Turn Prompts Only). The NIM will automatically interrupt the output of the radio so that you will hear the Turn Prompt and then return the radio to it's former function. Having said that if you want to hear MP3 songs, a phone call, XM Radio, Weather or Traffic Alerts (if you have the Zumo 665) then the output of the GPS must go to the Auxiliary Input on the radio and the radio must be in the AUX mode. You can not take advantage of all the GPS output functions simple by having a NIM. The NIM is only good for Turn Prompts.

If you have a NIM and you also want to be able to hear all the other functions of the GPS then the Audio Output from the GPS must be split so that you are feeding both the NIM and the Auxiliary Input on the radio.

When the factory installs the NIM they do not connect the GPS output to the Auxiliary Input on the radio, this is some thing you must do yourself or have the dealer install the Y-Splitter and audio cable.

Jim

Ride It Like You Are Retired

zakklp70

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »

Thanks guys. I was aware that there had to be mods to make the NIM work on the SG. I just thinking that however it is done on the Ultra could be made to work.   :oops: They would never make it that easy! Looks like i'll make the decision to make the mod or not when my 665 come in this week

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »

This excellent thread by legally will tell you everything to do to make the NIM work on your FLHXSE2/3. I followed his instructions and everything works perfectly. Did the rear aux port on the radio, too.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66425.0

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 06:31:21 PM »

EDIT: Oooops ... should have read the title of the thread.  :)
Oh well ... it happens!

What Street Glide are you referring to?

The NIM and the Road Tech GPS will both function plug and play on a non-CVO street Glide (with the H/K head unit of course) and the 2010 CVO Street Glide (SESG).
It is only the 2011 and 2012 (SESG2 and SESG3) CVO Strret Glides that require wiring mods for the NIM to work.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:03:11 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:14:26 PM »

This excellent thread by legally will tell you everything to do to make the NIM work on your FLHXSE2/3. I followed his instructions and everything works perfectly. Did the rear aux port on the radio, too.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66425.0

That thread will get the NIM functional (and appreciate legally's write-up on it) - but it's flawed when referencing that adding a CB module will work with that wiring.. The CB module won't work (or inter-comm) without additonal wiring added from 6B to 27B. If you're going through the trouble to add wires - why not make the 6B connection fully functional?

Just posting in case folks don't read the entire thread.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:18:35 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »

That thread will get the NIM functional (and appreciate legally's write-up on it) - but it's flawed when referencing that adding a CB module will work with that wiring.. The CB module won't work (or inter-comm) without additonal wiring added from 6B to 27B. If you're going through the trouble to add wires - why not make the 6B connection fully functional?

Just posting in case folks don't read the entire thread.

You're right, Rich. You need the other two wires in the 6B for the CB or Intercom. I never think of those because I have no interest in ever putting a CB or Intercom on my SESG, and the OP didn't mention either one... just the NIM.

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.