Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Truck Lite LED Install Issue  (Read 10777 times)

Jenady

Truck Lite LED Install Issue
« on: September 06, 2012, 11:21:53 AM »

A while back I received and installed Truck Lite Phase 7 LED headlight and passing lights from Discount Fleet Supply. There are plenty of posts about their quality and about installation. I experienced a problem I have not seen on the Forum. The left passing lights did not work. The original light worked fine in the same plug.

I contacted Discount Fleet Supply and explained. They sent out a replacement, no questions asked. They did mention that mine was the first light that anyone had problems with.

I received and installed the replacement. It failed to work. I plugged it into the right side and it worked. I plugged the right side bulb in the left plug. It did not work.

So the left plug is obviously the problem but the stock light worked fine. Then it dawned on me. The stock bulb does not care about the polarity of the plug. But LED's are different technology and maybe they do care about polarity. Then I finally noticed that the ground pin in the plug did match the ground pin from the light. I reversed the pins in the plug and all is good.

The moral of the story is, if you trouble with LED installation do not assume MOCO configures their plugs correctly.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

Re: Truck Lite LED Install Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »

A while back I received and installed Truck Lite Phase 7 LED headlight and passing lights from Discount Fleet Supply. There are plenty of posts about their quality and about installation. I experienced a problem I have not seen on the Forum. The left passing lights did not work. The original light worked fine in the same plug.

I contacted Discount Fleet Supply and explained. They sent out a replacement, no questions asked. They did mention that mine was the first light that anyone had problems with.

I received and installed the replacement. It failed to work. I plugged it into the right side and it worked. I plugged the right side bulb in the left plug. It did not work.

So the left plug is obviously the problem but the stock light worked fine. Then it dawned on me. The stock bulb does not care about the polarity of the plug. But LED's are different technology and maybe they do care about polarity. Then I finally noticed that the ground pin in the plug did match the ground pin from the light. I reversed the pins in the plug and all is good.

The moral of the story is, if you trouble with LED installation do not assume MOCO configures their plugs correctly.

Makes sense about the polarity as they are a Light Emmitting Diode.  Diodes are dependant on polarity to function, or not.  Interesting post!
Big Lew
IBA #595

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »

I assume that the MOCO doesn't do much of anything correctly and I have yet to be disappointed.   ;D

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

CVO Jack

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »

I'm happy to hear you got that passing lamp to work... thanx for the heads up!
2013 FLHTCUS8
2009 SERG

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »

They worked fine on my '07 Ultra when installed a few months ago.  Glad you figured it out.  They work great together!  :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

CVO Willy

• CVO Willy
  • Full CVO Member
  • Loving The Wine Country

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »

They worked fine on my '07 Ultra when installed a few months ago.  Glad you figured it out.  They work great together!  :2vrolijk_21:

I had a question for you Eagle eye, was there a reason that you didn't choose to go with the passing lamp LED also? How do you like the Head Lamp change out. Also is the color different that the HD or other version LED lamps. It describes them as, •Pure white light output is closer to the color temperature of daylight, dramatically improving light projection distance and overall visibility with a bright, crisp output I have been really curious about this. I know the other LED lights seem to have a blue hint of color to them.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:14:28 PM by CVO Willy »
CVO WILLY

Loving The Wine Country

CVO Willy

• CVO Willy
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »

Jenady,

Did you have any problem with any adaptation with the Headlight or the Passing Lamps in your installation?

Thanks

CVO WILLY

Loving The Wine Country

Jenady

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 04:08:59 PM »

Willy,

No, other than the wiring issue it went very smoothly. Everything is plug and play.

CVO Willy

• CVO Willy
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »

Willy,

No, other than the wiring issue it went very smoothly. Everything is plug and play.

Thank You..................................
CVO WILLY

Loving The Wine Country

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »

And which ring did you install around the lights? Have you got picture of the new lights mounted and lighted? ;)

CVO Jack

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 12:53:16 PM »

I used the hd frenched trim rings
2013 FLHTCUS8
2009 SERG

CVO Jack

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »

pic's
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 12:56:58 PM by CVO Jack »
2013 FLHTCUS8
2009 SERG

CVO Jack

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »

side view
2013 FLHTCUS8
2009 SERG

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »

I used the hd frenched trim rings
Thanks for those pics... they are the exact trim rings I have and gives me an idea how the lights would look with them. :2vrolijk_21:

With the bulbs extended out further do they still seal up to prevent excessive moisture from entering into the fairing?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVO Jack

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »

No worries in regards to water entering the fairing... FYI I paid $382 for both the headlamp and passing lamps .. Free shipping and no tax...
2013 FLHTCUS8
2009 SERG
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 22 queries.