Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hogtunes FL7 REV Woofer Kit - NOT what I was hoping for!  (Read 808 times)

Z man

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic CVO
Hogtunes FL7 REV Woofer Kit - NOT what I was hoping for!
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:16:39 AM »

Just wanted to post some disappointing results when I bought the Hogtunes Woofer Kit.     >:(

I had replaced the front and rear speakers on my 2010 Harley Ultra Classic CVO because the stock Harley speakers are terrible! .  The Hogtunes replacements were a major improvement in the sound quality, but they still left me wanting a better base response that was still very poor.  My CVO already had an added amplifier, so the additional volume added by the amplifier in this kit was not important to my system upgrade.  I simply wanted to hear more bass.

I did as much research as I could, including a call to Hogtunes who warned me this package would NOT provide a "sub woofer" sound and not to expect the "boom" such speakers could add.  Desperate for more base, I bought these dedicated base speakers.  While my new total of some 300 watts of amplified sound is plenty of power, in my opinion, it was a waste of money.  These speakers added volume but the additional base sound is minimal at the very best.

So if you need more "power" to a basic non-CVO system, this may be worth the expense of the REV Woofer package with the extra 140 watt amp.  But I think it is  way over priced.  I'm sorry I wasted my money and wish I could return them! 

I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of spending over $300 for woofers!

Z man

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Hogtunes FL7 REV Woofer Kit - NOT what I was hoping for!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 01:52:03 PM »

Here I go wondering again but do they still sell the bazooka tube. Was thinking if you modded the rear speaker pods (might need to get another set or build your own pods) then you might be able get a tube in there. That would kill pax room though. Some of the ATV guys build their own tube and withat said maybe you could take pvc tubing and heat it and mold it to fit. Could cut i guess but it would take a but of work to finish. Add some bass ports or reflex if there's enough space.

Need more coffee so this a wild stab and probably wouldn't work. But ya, several are not getting the bass they want from stock location speakers. Front lowers might be something to look into but nothing has the volume of space to get deep bass.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »

While I don't have the "Boom" you will get from sub-woofers or even upgraded speakers... I simply drilled a 'port' between the rear speaker pods and tourpak, much like the kit you can get from HD for around $90.  The empty'ish tourpak allows the rear speakers to 'breathe' and there is a noticeable increase in bass response.  Maybe not so much at highway speeds, but definitely sitting in the parking lot or cruising between stop lights.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:17:19 PM by T-Hawk »
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Glenncarp

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »

I am wondering if you had the stock HK head unit flashed? You need to do this to increase a bass response from the head unit and secondly, I added to bass ports to my tour pack and they do add the base response by making the tour pack a base cavity. The bass port kit was $56 and install took about an hour

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 24 queries.