Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any tips on using iPhone 5 for Navigation ???  (Read 2413 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Any tips on using iPhone 5 for Navigation ???
« on: October 31, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »

We used the iPhone 5 for Navigation / Bluetooth music to the Cardo Q3 Teamset on our recent sport touring trip out West, it was great, 'just looking for more flexibility / features.

We were using the standard map program in the i5.

Does anybody have any recommendations as to an upgrade map app (Garmin maybe?) that will allow downloading / manipulating routes / waypoints / POIs from the Harley website??

Also looking for a device (antenna / app?) that will allow the i5 to function as a stand alone GPS without having a cell signal or WiFi ??

Also looking for a device that will allow the i5 to Bluetooth into the aux jack of the HK

Thanks,
Ed
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Any tips on using iPhone 5 for Navigation ???
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 03:09:55 PM »

Garmin does have an app for the iPhone, it says you can plan routes but does not say how. You can check the features by going to apples App Store or just google it. You do not need a cell signal for it to work because the iPhone has a GPS enabled chip.

No way to Bluetooth the phone to both your Bluetooth headset and the HD radio aux port that I know of. The phone will not pair to  2 differing devices.

If you go wired headsets you can get all the features of the radio and use the phone for navigation, phone calls, text, search all with voice control with the HD Bomm iPhone interface.

Www.hdbomm.com/phone.html

Jim@hdbomm.com

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:12:25 PM by bissjim »
Ride It Like You Are Retired

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 04:47:05 PM »

Garmin does have an app for the iPhone, it says you can plan routes but does not say how. You can check the features by going to apples App Store or just google it. You do not need a cell signal for it to work because the iPhone has a GPS enabled chip.

No way to Bluetooth the phone to both your Bluetooth headset and the HD radio aux port that I know of. The phone will not pair to  2 differing devices.

If you go wired headsets you can get all the features of the radio and use the phone for navigation, phone calls, text, search all with voice control with the HD Bomm iPhone interface.

Www.hdbomm.com/phone.html

Jim@hdbomm.com

Jim,
I don't mind switching the Bluetooth to either the Cardo or the radio, I don't need to have them paired at the same time, as we use the Cardos primarily for trips and just want to have the i5 bluetoothed to the aux input to use as a music source while riding local.

The Cardo has plug in capability also, and I have the switched headphone jack from Iron Cross Audio, haven't even tried it yet as the Bluetooth sound to the Cardo headsets sounds great to us.

Thanks for the info on the Garmin app, researching now.

Does anybody that has used the Garmin app have any feed back??

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FLTRFlorida

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »

I've been using CoPilot GPS on my 5s for a couple of weeks. It's available in the app store.  Haven't quite figured out the route planning, tho it is easy to drag sections of the route on the map to customize the route. I've got it hooked to an HDPDPLUS2 on my FLTRU and use the SENA sm10 and two SENA SMH10 bluetooth headsets to pair everything. I pair the headsets to the SM10 which gives us music from Pandora or iTunes Radio and GPS directions. My wife also pairs her headset to her iphone so she can take/make calls. The SENA headsets also pair with each other for 'intercom' between the wife and I (up to a total of 4 headsets for the intercom function). Works great so far, frees us from the wired connections to the bike, and not difficult to pair everything after you've done it a couple of times.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 09:07:56 AM »

Jim,
I don't mind switching the Bluetooth to either the Cardo or the radio, I don't need to have them paired at the same time, as we use the Cardos primarily for trips and just want to have the i5 bluetoothed to the aux input to use as a music source while riding local.

There are many Bluetooth adapter/dongles out there. Just do a search for "3.5mm stereo Bluetooth adapter"
Ride It Like You Are Retired

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:32:05 AM »

I have been using Co-Pilot Live, premium for US (North America actually). $9.99 version.

Works pretty good for times when I don't have or can't use the Garmin.

This app actually works as a GPS when you don't have a connection, unlike many of the phone apps. You can turn off WiFi, cell and BT and still use it as a GPS.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »

MotionX has a really good iphone GPS APP. I've had the paid version for several years and prior to my CVO purchase used it for all our bike trips. Mount your phone however, and plug it into the radio faceplate aux jack and it will play your tunes and provide directions. Just one option of many to look at. Good luck.  ;D
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 05:45:29 PM »

I know that I asked this question back in October, but I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an App for the i5, and as we all know, technology evolves at a rapid pace...

'Just wondering if there are any more recommendations for Navigation Apps that allow the i5 to function as a "stand alone" Nav Unit??

We have the Bluetooth part sorted out now...

Thanks,

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.