Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Going overboard or just off the deep end?  (Read 3287 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Going overboard or just off the deep end?
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:33:44 PM »

Okay, you guys may not believe this one.  Or, am I not the only one out there to do this?  We are quite the anal bunch here, so maybe it's not just me.

I have been looking at my passing lamps lately and thinking those lenses look pretty foggy, and it's on the inside of the lens.  Yes, I took my passing lamps off, removed the bulbs, and cleaned the inside of the lenses.  First, a little bit of Dawn dishwashing detergent, swished it around a bit with a little water, then a very thorough rinsing out....over and over again filling it and pouring it out, until there were no signs of any suds...and then some more rinsing just to make sure.  Then, I sprayed some windex in there and did the same again.  Then I shook the assemblies as hard as I could to try to get every last water drop out that I could in that manner.  Then, on to the hair dryer to blow warm air into the bulb hole until every last drop had evaporated.  The entire process from removal to reinstallation took less than 20 minutes, but the good part is it actually worked.

Those lenses are clear now, like they are supposed to be.  No more foggy haze covering the inside. 

Just to point it out, I was removing the passing lamps to put in the Luminics bulbs at the time, so I had a reason to remove them in the first place.  I really hated to put these new bulbs behind dirty lenses.  As far as the Luminics bulbs go, I'm not really noticing much of a difference in how much light they are throwing off, but they are a nice, white light compared to the stock halogen which are very yellow next to my HID headlamp.  They certainly are not a match to my HID, which has a very blue tint to it, but it does look much better than the stock ones.  Maybe this post should have been in the lighting section...hmmm.

Anyway, I have to wonder if anyone else goes this far with cleaning or have I finally lost my mind?

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Re: Going overboard or just off the deep end?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »

No I have not but you have me thinking. I might just try this out. Thanks for the step by step.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:18:10 PM »

Damm you 1abastarsmda now I am going to have to work on my foggy spot lights.

It is odd mine are all fogged up too and I don't remember my previous HD's getting foggy.

It is a sickness, and I wish I did not have it, but I suffer from excessive HD cleanliness syndrome also. 

Oh well it always pays off when we go to sell them.

Thanks for the step by step.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:47:12 PM »

Damm you 1abastarsmda now I am going to have to work on my foggy spot lights.

It is odd mine are all fogged up too and I don't remember my previous HD's getting foggy.

It is a sickness, and I wish I did not have it, but I suffer from excessive HD cleanliness syndrome also. 

Oh well it always pays off when we go to sell them.

Thanks for the step by step.

I don't remember ever having previous lamps getting like this inside either.  I noticed that my headlamp is the same way too.  That's going to take a bit more work to clean it, but as soon as I receive my high beam HID that I ordered and have it all apart again, I think I'm going to do that one also.  It really shows up when you turn the lights on and it's got to be blocking some of the light too.

Before I did the passing lamps, I checked out the price for a new set, just in case I ruined the lamps in some unforseen fashion.  I guess there was nothing wrong with what I did and they sure do look like new again.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:31:47 AM »

That's nothing Dave.  Wait til you've disassembled the spotlight brackets to clean up a ring of gook you can't get to otherwise or taken off the gas tank to put a coat of wax on the rocker boxes :drink: .

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 10:18:05 PM »

Although that's been bugging me also, I've resisted, up until NOW!!!. Thanks Dave for motivating me. My mind is now asking me, 'How are you going to keep them from fogging up again?' Good question, obviously we need to keep moisture from getting inside the housing. Any bright ideas anyone?

Tom P.

PS: Wife's first comment when I bought this bike "you have definitely gone off the deep end this time!"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:24:35 PM by SIX38 »

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 01:44:02 AM »

Although that's been bugging me also, I've resisted, up until NOW!!!. Thanks Dave for motivating me. My mind is now asking me, 'How are you going to keep them from fogging up again?' Good question, obviously we need to keep moisture from getting inside the housing. Any bright ideas anyone?

Tom P.

PS: Wife's first comment when I bought this bike "you have definitely gone off the deep end this time!"

As easy and quick as it is to do, I'm guessing that if it happens again, it may just become part of the spring or winter cleaning regimen.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »

As easy and quick as it is to do, I'm guessing that if it happens again, it may just become part of the spring or winter cleaning regimen.

Lets get to the real meat of this post. Did the new lights come any closer to matching your HID's?

:bananarock: :bananarock:
       Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 03:42:03 PM »

They are whiter than the stock by a long shot, and they definitely look better, but certainly not a match by any sense of the word.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »

:huepfenjump3:  Proving once again that "anything worth doing is worth over doing!" :huepfenjump3:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 04:10:10 PM »

Okay, you guys may not believe this one.  Or, am I not the only one out there to do this?  We are quite the anal bunch here, so maybe it's not just me.

I have been looking at my passing lamps lately and thinking those lenses look pretty foggy, and it's on the inside of the lens.  Yes, I took my passing lamps off, removed the bulbs, and cleaned the inside of the lenses.  First, a little bit of Dawn dishwashing detergent, swished it around a bit with a little water, then a very thorough rinsing out....over and over again filling it and pouring it out, until there were no signs of any suds...and then some more rinsing just to make sure.  Then, I sprayed some windex in there and did the same again.  Then I shook the assemblies as hard as I could to try to get every last water drop out that I could in that manner.  Then, on to the hair dryer to blow warm air into the bulb hole until every last drop had evaporated.  The entire process from removal to reinstallation took less than 20 minutes, but the good part is it actually worked.

Those lenses are clear now, like they are supposed to be.  No more foggy haze covering the inside. 

Just to point it out, I was removing the passing lamps to put in the Luminics bulbs at the time, so I had a reason to remove them in the first place.  I really hated to put these new bulbs behind dirty lenses.  As far as the Luminics bulbs go, I'm not really noticing much of a difference in how much light they are throwing off, but they are a nice, white light compared to the stock halogen which are very yellow next to my HID headlamp.  They certainly are not a match to my HID, which has a very blue tint to it, but it does look much better than the stock ones.  Maybe this post should have been in the lighting section...hmmm.

Anyway, I have to wonder if anyone else goes this far with cleaning or have I finally lost my mind?
Did mine two weeks ago, basicly because they looked foggy.  Same process, man they are clear now.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:56:10 PM »

Thanks to Dave the lenses are sparkling now!
Tom P.

Techie0212

• 2008 CUSE3 Ultra Classic
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CUSE3 / Prog 905 / Fulsac 2.25 / TTS MasterTune / Arlen Ness A/C
    • CVO2: 2003 Road King Standard
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »

Has ne1 seen it fog up again? I know that is on my list now ... but in Hawaii, there is rain as well, so the moisture thing may creep up ..

Aloha,
Techie
Techie0212
Air Force Reserves 0-5 20yrs (Retired)

2008 CUSE3 / Prog 905 / Fulsac 2.25 / TTS MasterTune /Arlen Ness A/C

hogasm

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 06:47:39 AM »

Once you clean something.......it never stops :soapbox:

Ride the SOB :huepfenlol2:

Ditch

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA # 56.345 1/2

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Orange & Black
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 08:42:49 AM »

Going overboard or just off the deep end?   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: Dave when I saw the topic heading all I could do was laugh out loud and think......."Well if it involves Dave iit has to be off the deep end!!!!!!"  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: Gotta love the attention to detail though! Now head over to Howies house and do his stable, then work your way west/southwest to my place and I will let you work your magic on my poor under detailed girl!!!  ;D ;D ;D
"Lead don't follow, just don't follow me!!!"
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 24 queries.